Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

5 cell receiver pack

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 07:52 PM
Gary Retterbush

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 cell receiver pack

A.M.,
Is it okay to use a 5 cell NiCad receiver pack (unregulated) with Futaba servos?
Thanks, Gary
Old 08-20-2002, 08:50 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Hi, Gary! sure is, as long as you are not using Futaba gyros as well. There are a few servos specifically intended for only certain voltages (big sail winch servo for example) which have speical needs and are labeled as such.

Please send an email to [email protected] with 6V in the body of the email to receive additional information from our buddy, Otto Responder on using 6 volts.
Old 08-20-2002, 09:05 PM
Gary Retterbush

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the quick reply and info, A.M.!
Old 08-20-2002, 10:49 PM
edge_fanatic
My Feedback: (4)

Default Just tried it, and no workee

An hour ago, I tried the autoresponder, and received a note from Craig who told me that I didn't provide enough information for him to answer my question...

I put "6V" into the body.....and sent it to the email address specified above....but no autoresonder.
Old 08-21-2002, 12:05 AM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Edge, not sure why, I just tested it and it worked fine. don't copy my post or anything into the email, it will pick up my signature and will not autorespond because it assumes i'm already helping you. Sending an email with just 6V in the body of the email got this response for me immediately:

Thank you for your recent e-mail. PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS AN INTELLIGENT AUTOMATED RESPONSE BASED SPECIFICALLY ON THE INFORMATION YOU HAVE SUBMITTED. If this information does not solve your problem, please simply reply to this email BEING SURE NOT TO CHANGE THE SUBJECT and let us know what is still occurring.

1) 6volt (5-cells) and gyros.
2) 6 volts with other Futaba equipment.
3) Using more than 6V.
4) Re-emailing to get additional live technical support.

1) CAN I USE A 6VOLT BATTERY PACK WITH MY GYRO?
No. Futaba gyros (such as the GY401, 501, etc) are not rated for 6V packs which, when peaked, put out as much as 7.2V. Always use 4-cell, 4.8V packs with Futaba gyros. If you must use 6V packs, be sure to use a regulator (Futaba does not offer one) to keep the maximum voltage to the gyro under 6.0.

2) Can I use a 6V battery with other Futaba equipment?
All Futaba equipment is rated for both 4.8V (4 cell) and 6.0V (5-cell or 4 cell alkaline) UNLESS specifically labelled otherwise, as the gyros listed above.

NOTE: Some servos are labeled as "gyro servos" and say 4.8V only because the gyros for which they were designed were for 4.8V only. These servos will still operate fine at 6.0V input.

For more info on 6volts with Futaba equipment:
http://www.futabarc.com/faq/product-faq.html#q26

Note that Futaba servos often will 'chatter' under a hot charge on 6V. This is perfectly normal and will not affect your flight performance. By moving a single stick you can see the voltage drop enough to end the chatter and know everything will operate perfectly normally in flight.

3) Can I use more than 6V?
No, Futaba receivers and servos (except those specially marked) are designed only for 4.8V and 6.0V input (4-cell and 5-cell NiCd/NiMH or 4 alkaline cells).

3) Did this answer your question? If so, we're thrilled to hear our automated attendant was able to assist you so quickly.

If not, please simply reply to this email BEING SURE NOT TO CHANGE THE SUBJECT, and copying the body of this email into your reply, and we will be happy to assist you personally and promptly.

I hope you find this information helpful. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at this email address. (Please be sure to copy all previous emails into any future questions.) You can also reach our product support technical team at 217-398-8970, or via fax at 217-398-7721.

Sincerely,
Product Support AUTORESPONDER
Old 08-21-2002, 01:58 AM
edge_fanatic
My Feedback: (4)

Default thanks!

Ann Marie:

I didn't use your address, or copy anything. Maybe I caught it the only few minutes it wasn't operational.

Many thanks,

Sean