Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

9C finish wrinkling

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 04:21 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9C finish wrinkling

Recently the metal finish on the face of my 9c has began to wrinkle and lift. Another club members 9C has begun to do the same thing. What's causing this?
Old 04-03-2006, 04:27 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 9C finish wrinkling

Many times, the coating on the metalized parts of your transmitter are not as resistant as they should be to the normal day-to-day exposure of fuel residues and acids from your skin. They can cause the coating to go bad. Just send the transmitter to us to have the face taken care of. It should not detriorate like that.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:42 PM
rc-sport

Bax, I appreciate the offer but the last time I sent you my radio for repair it took a few weeks and several calls to get it back. No way am I going through that again unless my radio fails completely. Can you send me a new face and I'll replace it?
Old 04-03-2006, 10:17 PM
scadman

My 9c is doing the same thing and so are 5 others in our club. This is bonding problem after all the all transmiters are exposed to glow fuel it is the nature of the beast. So design for it.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:23 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bax, I appreciate the offer but the last time I sent you my radio for repair it took a few weeks and several calls to get it back. No way am I going through that again unless my radio fails completely. Can you send me a new face and I'll replace it?
OOOOh good question! Mine has done the same little peely thing but I would rather have my TX than send it off for weeks on end. It seems only reasonable, the auto makers send you a recall notice to have the fix done immediately when they know a problem exists.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:59 PM
rc-sport

Well Bax......can you?
Old 04-04-2006, 10:13 PM
vicman

Are we allowed to resopnd to this thread or is it another dead end mod only thing[&o]?
Old 04-05-2006, 07:38 AM
rc-sport

vicman, good question. I think Bax may be at Toledo now so we probably won't get a response until next week.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Because the finish on a number of 9C transmitters doesn't last as long as it should, we've been taking care of them as they come in at no charge, unless we can see obvious evidence of chemical attack, or gross fuel soaking, and so forth. Replacement of the silvered face of the transmitter requires nearly complete disassembly of the unit, meaning that all the toggle switches come off the front, the neckstrap holder, the labels, the gimbals, and the boards need to be lifted out. It takes a very experienced technician about an hour to do the job.

As far as turnaround is concerned, we have averaged a receive to repair-completion time of about 4.2 calendar days for the past 12 months. This includes the 52 weekends, each of which which automatically add two days to a number of repairs. We consider this to be excellent.

If your transmitter has a difficulty with its finish, and it was imported through the North American Futaba distributor, then we'll be glad to see how we can help you. Just send it in to us per the sticky at the top of this forum.

(edited for typos)

Old 04-08-2006, 09:24 PM
rc-sport

Bax, I'll pass on your offer to replace the face on my radio. The last time it was in for repairs your 4.2 days turned into 3 weeks and some heated phone calls. Since my 9C is my only radio and some nice flying weather is approaching I'll just let the finish go and wait for something serious to go wrong with the radio. Unless of course you want to send me a loaner for 4.2 days.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:33 PM
DNR
My Feedback: (20)

I sent my 9C in for the same problem and nine days later it was returned in like new condition and ready for use. The nine days included mail time both ways and also a weekend. In my opinion, that is excellent service from the Futaba repair crew.

Don Rasmussen
Old 04-22-2006, 09:29 PM
Dave Harmon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: DNR

I sent my 9C in for the same problem and nine days later it was returned in like new condition and ready for use. The nine days included mail time both ways and also a weekend. In my opinion, that is excellent service from the Futaba repair crew.

Don Rasmussen

Same here. I am very satisfied with the service department. Believe me, if I was not satisfied I would say so.
I have had a 9ZAP for at least 11 years and last year sent it in for routine service for the first time.
I just checked the invoice and counted 27 components replaced in the transmitter and receiver.....I just wore it out.
The dates on the invoice indicate that the radio was in the shop for 5 days not including travel time....and that may have included a weekend.
That is damn good in any business.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:47 PM
vicman

I have had a 9ZAP for at least 11 years
HUH?
Old 05-06-2006, 04:29 PM
LaCerne
My Feedback: (16)