Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

dropped my transmitter

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 03:56 PM
flhyr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dropped my transmitter

Well, Unfortunately I dropped my brand new 6exas transmitter on a tile floor from about 2-1/2 feet up. All that appears to have happened to it was 2 of the 3 battery cover tabs broke off, everything else seems to work fine.

The only problem is that I can't get more than 10-12 paces away from the plane for a range check without noticing some minor servo jitter. Now, I dropped the transmitter before I ever got a chance to range check the system, so I can't say for sure that the jitter is due to the drop.

Is it possible for the transmitter to be out of tune due to the incident? Should I send the radio in for service or look elsewhere for my jitter problem?

Also, what is the correct way to range check? Antennae completely collapsed? or with one section up?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:07 PM
stang
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: dropped my transmitter

Ouch! That can;t be good. I really suggest you get that looked at by a service shop. It doesn't sound like the TX is putting out the power you need. I do my range check (quickly) with the antenna fully collapsed.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:35 PM
bwick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as I know (and practice), a range check always needs to be performed with one section of the antenna out of the transmitter.

I would send the transmitter in to get looked at. There's no reason to risk your plane to equipment you're not confident in. Have the service center check it out -- you should be able to get it back in very reasonable time.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:47 PM
bjor

Always do a range check before each day's flight with the antenna fully collapsed and walk away from the model whilst playing with the sticks. You should get a really good distance (50 paces or more) before the signal is lost and the plane starts jittering. Remember the distance or paces you walked and use this as a guide each time you do a range check. If one day the distance walked if far less - you know you have a problem. Also, the crystals in both the Tx and Rx are really sensitive and are prone to damage if dropped. That's why you should also get the Rx Crystal checked if you have a bad crash. My advice - don't fly - get it checked out. It's not worth a lost plane.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:35 AM
Krysta

Hi flhyr,

Anytime a radio is dropped onto a hard floor, it is recommended to send the transmitter in to be checked. The internal components are delicate and can be damaged by the impact. I would recommend sending it in as soon as possible to be checked, always better safe than sorry.

When you send this in, you may want to send the receiver also, your jitter problem could be coming from the receiver, but it is more likely that it is the transmitter.

As for range testing, first, see if your instruction gives you a range test procedure. Manuals vary. With the transmitter antenna collapsed, one system says the range should be greater than five meters, another says 20-30 paces, and others suggest you range test before use each day, but give you no guidelines. In all cases, follow the guidelines stated, but if the manual doesn’t have a guideline, you’ll have to determine your own.

Here’s how:
For aircraft, the in-air range is the one that’s important, but it’s almost impossible to safely determine. Mount your aircraft 3+ feet above the ground, away from wires, transmission towers, houses, and so on. Have your friend watch the model as you walk away from the airplane with your transmitter in hand, antenna fully extended. Work the controls as you walk away from the model.

With most transmitters, you should get 1,000+ feet. Because the air range is several times the ground range, this will give you good range with the model in the air.

Once you have a ground range that you’re comfortable with, collapse the transmitter antenna and walk it out again. The transmitter will now have a range of anywhere from 90 feet to somewhat over 100 feet. Whatever your tested and fully operational system demonstrates is the normal range for your system.

I hope you find this information helpful. You can also reach our Futaba support technical team at 217-398-8970, or via fax at 217-398-7721.

Sincerely,
Krysta
Lead Futaba Customer Service and Programming Technician
Futaba Service Center USA

ORIGINAL: flhyr

Well, Unfortunately I dropped my brand new 6exas transmitter on a tile floor from about 2-1/2 feet up. All that appears to have happened to it was 2 of the 3 battery cover tabs broke off, everything else seems to work fine.

The only problem is that I can't get more than 10-12 paces away from the plane for a range check without noticing some minor servo jitter. Now, I dropped the transmitter before I ever got a chance to range check the system, so I can't say for sure that the jitter is due to the drop.

Is it possible for the transmitter to be out of tune due to the incident? Should I send the radio in for service or look elsewhere for my jitter problem?

Also, what is the correct way to range check? Antennae completely collapsed? or with one section up?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:47 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: flhyr

Thanks in advance.
If you have another plane, you can range check it with that plane, but if you dropped hard enough to break part of the case, you could have done some damage.

Or you can pull the receiver out and set up some servos on it and reange check it that way.

Range check procedure is in the manual. RTFM!

Best bet would be to send it in.