Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

Range Check Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 02:19 PM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Range Check Issue

I've been having problems getting decent range checks on two of my planes using PPM receivers. I can fly them, but occasionly get some hits, PCM solves the problem on both planes. I think I finally identified the problem today. On the ground, with the engines off, at 50' with the antenna down, the servos are a fairly noisy, forget it a 100', this is with the PPM receiver. With the plane antenna removed and laying on the ground, there is no problem at 100' with PPM. When the antenna is moved close to the servos (2-3") in the rear of the planes, the problem starts again. On both planes, the servos are S3305's. There is no problem if the antenna is laid on top of the S3004 throttle servo, just don't get it near the S3305's.

I didn't run into this problem until I moved to the higher torque S3305's from the S3004's Is this problem unique, am I doing something wrong, or should I just bite the bullet and permanently put PCM in these two planes? By the nature of the planes, it is very difficult to keep the antenna away from these servos.

Chuck
Old 06-10-2006, 08:13 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Range Check Issue

I am interested in this answer as well.
What receiver are you using?
Old 06-10-2006, 09:49 AM
chuck l

FP-R127DF
Old 06-10-2006, 11:37 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Put RF chokes on the servo leads for the high torque servos. Run your antenna where ever you want it. See what happens with PPM.

I'm using these on a throttle and choke servo less than 3" from the ignition box and battery on a gasser. Bulletproof rangecheck with engine on and off. Over 150' with antenna down and my back turned to the plane. Hitec PPM RX. Surprised the hell out of me.

I like these. Put a 12" extension on the servo lead, and run it through the choke at least 3 times. It will use all 12" of the lead if you wrap it around 4 times. Snap it closed. Keep the choke as close as possible to the RX. I just leave about 1" of servo extension sticking out to get it plugged into the RX.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=JRPA028

I haven't tried these. cheaper, but you'll probably have to cut the connectors off the servo leads and then run the wires through. Then solder the connectors back on.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=JRPA029
Old 06-13-2006, 10:08 PM
chuck l

Futaba Team,

Any comments?

Chuck
Old 06-16-2006, 09:56 AM
Krysta

Hi Chuck,

First, are you using long leads of any sort on the S3305's? Also what type of battery are you using. The S3305's require NiCd batteries due to their high current draw.
Since you have no problem with the S3004, it sounds as though a lead with a filter included would help your situation. We would recommend either FUTM4149 or FUTM4180.

I hope you find this information helpful. You can also reach our Futaba support technical team at 217-398-8970, or via fax at 217-398-7721.

Sincerely,
Krysta Hunt
Lead Futaba Customer Service and Programming Technician
Futaba Service Center USA

ORIGINAL: chuck l

I've been having problems getting decent range checks on two of my planes using PPM receivers. I can fly them, but occasionly get some hits, PCM solves the problem on both planes. I think I finally identified the problem today. On the ground, with the engines off, at 50' with the antenna down, the servos are a fairly noisy, forget it a 100', this is with the PPM receiver. With the plane antenna removed and laying on the ground, there is no problem at 100' with PPM. When the antenna is moved close to the servos (2-3") in the rear of the planes, the problem starts again. On both planes, the servos are S3305's. There is no problem if the antenna is laid on top of the S3004 throttle servo, just don't get it near the S3305's.

I didn't run into this problem until I moved to the higher torque S3305's from the S3004's Is this problem unique, am I doing something wrong, or should I just bite the bullet and permanently put PCM in these two planes? By the nature of the planes, it is very difficult to keep the antenna away from these servos.

Chuck
Old 06-16-2006, 10:35 AM
chuck l

Krysta

I'm using about a 12" on the servos. One plane uses a 4.5 volt battery and the other uses a 6.0 volt battery, both of which are NiCd. I will see if I can pickup a couple of filters from our LHS, only problem is, one plane is a profile and there isn't any room to put them.

Chuck
Old 06-16-2006, 11:24 AM
Krysta

Hi Chuck,

If there's not room, you may want to try some ferrite rings, there are a lot of manufacturers out there who sell these and they are small enough that they might work for you.

Thanks, Krysta

ORIGINAL: chuck l

Krysta

I'm using about a 12" on the servos. One plane uses a 4.5 volt battery and the other uses a 6.0 volt battery, both of which are NiCd. I will see if I can pickup a couple of filters from our LHS, only problem is, one plane is a profile and there isn't any room to put them.

Chuck
Old 06-18-2006, 09:39 PM
chuck l

Krysta,

I'm closer to understanding the situation, and have a question. I swapped receivers, (tried an off brand.. Hitec), tried my friend's identical radio on a different channel, only one servo, a S3004, and ferrite rings. With each option, the problem was still there. As I played around, if the antenna tip is near a servo than I can't get a range check. So, my question is, how far away from a servo do you recommend keeping the end of the antenna? On the Giant Big Stik, the antenna is within 2" of a tail mounted servo by design and similiarly on the other plane. I can attach the antenna to the rudder on the Stik, which does solve the problem, but I can't on the other plane which will need the PCM.

Chuck