Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

Transmitters and modules

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 08:23 AM
jlkonn
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmitters and modules

One of our club members removes his module when not flying.
The theory is that it is one more step to make sure he has the frequency control pin before turning on.
I like this idea.
However, some folks say it quickly wears the pins that connect the two.
Can you comment?
Also, Mr. Baxter, did you get my PM regarding the 9VAP?
Thanks!
JLK
Old 06-13-2006, 01:19 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Transmitters and modules

ORIGINAL: jlkonn

One of our club members removes his module when not flying.
The theory is that it is one more step to make sure he has the frequency control pin before turning on.
I like this idea.
However, some folks say it quickly wears the pins that connect the two.
Can you comment?
Also, Mr. Baxter, did you get my PM regarding the 9VAP?
Thanks!
JLK
From my old life as a computer service engineer, I can tell you that plug-in modules have contacts with a "Plug cycle" engineered into them. It is a small number. You won't see any reference to this in the spec's. However, an even greater problem is pin or contact damage, IE bending a pin and it breaking off when it is straightened.

I have got to the extreme of using very short servo extensions, both out of the receiver and at the end of the aileron servos, and to unplug the wing, I seperate the extension to extension conection vs unpluging and pluging into the receiver. If I run into a worn contact, it is much easier to replace the extensions and that would be plug cycle #2 for the receiver and servo contacts.

Don
Old 06-14-2006, 10:27 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Transmitters and modules

The connectors in the transmitter and transmitter module can be connected and disconnected quite a bit. The intent was to enable the modeler to change the transmitting frequency at will. At some contests, this may be several times in a day.

That being said, if the connectors are torqued or bent while the module's being installed or removed, then they may fail.

We don't see that removing the module increases field safety if the modelers are careful about making sure their transmitters are turned off. If your friend feel more secure, then fine, no harm done.

The only real problem we see is if the pins are allowed to become dirty.