Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

R133f range problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 12:49 PM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R133f range problem

Hi,

I have two Futaba 2PEKA (Magnum Jr) radio systems. One purchased separately with a R123F receiver and one included with my Duratrax Firehammer (2-cycle gasoline engine with spark plug) with an R133F receiver. Both receivers have a problem on my Firehammer where within 100 feet everything runs perfectly. After 100 feet the car stops and the servos twitch and jitter. Luckily I have a failsafe on the throttle/brake servo so I can't get in too much trouble.

There is at least one potentiometer (maybe two) on the bottom of the receiver board. What is the function of this pot (pots)? Do they control the RF filtering? Can these pots loose their settings if moisture or dirt get inside the receiver? Can they be cleaned with electric motor cleaner spray? After cleaning can they be adjusted to filter correctly again?

The original radio system is on my electric Duratrax Evader truck. It does not have the range problem at all. I have swapped the receivers and crystals between the cars a couple of times and have the same problem. The radio included with my Firehammer worked great with no range problems for the first 8 or 9 months of use.

I have a background in electronics and would like to try to rectify this problem myself if possible. My wife would not be humored by a new receiver/radio purchase or repair charge (both radios are out of warranty).

Any technical help would be greatly appreciated.

Ken Gentry
Old 06-20-2006, 04:20 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: R133f range problem

The receiver does not have any potentiometers to adjust. You are likely seeing the adjusments for the RF and IF transformers. They are adjusted to get maximum signal through the RF and IF sections of the receiver.

We've found that range problems with the Firehammer are usually associated with low receiver battery voltage and not necessarily tuning of the receiver. The battery pack needs to be slow-charged and then slow-discharged a few times so that it can have its full capacity. If you cannot obtain good range with the receiver, then you may wish to send it to us for inspection under the warranty.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:50 AM
kengentry5000

Hey Bax,

I am still have a glitching problem but have an update and would appreciate some advice.

I swapped for an Airtronics MX-3 75Mhz FM radio, Novak XXL receiver and Venom Racing failsafe. All worked fine for the previous owner who runs an XTM large-scale buggy (same OEM - Smartech - as Firehammer). I installed this radio and am still seeing glitching problem. The throttle servo was going nuts while the car was sitting right next to the transmitter (tx powered on).

The only components I have not changed on my car are the Futaba S3302 steering servo and the engine ignition module. I have a Hitec HS-5945 throttle servo (and a spare HS-625 servo). I replaced the spark plug. The glitching occurs with the engine not running so I think that excludes the ignition module (engine in general).

If the Futaba S3302 servo is damaged (got wet) and is glitching, could it also cause the throttle servo to glitch and shutdown? I am running the steering servo off of the reciever without a direct-power harness. Could the servo be shorting itself out somehow intermittently and cause the receiver to deliver intermittent power to the throttle servo?

That's about the only conclusion left I can draw. Ever seen this?

Thank you,
Ken
Old 07-21-2006, 12:03 PM
kengentry5000

I also am running a new NiMH 6V 3000 mAh receiver pack.