Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

9Z V-tail two independent servos

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 04:13 AM
bgomez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9Z V-tail two independent servos

Hello,

I have a problem and need your help.

I have a glider with V-tail and two servos one for each V-tail control.
When I active the v-tail function on the radio, I can not define exactly and indepently the movements of each v-tail side for elevator and rudder functions... They seem to be linked for both servos on each function.

Any idea of how to do it? May be using first the ATV function?

Thanks for your quick help!

Best regards

Bernardo
Barcelona (Spain)
Old 06-28-2006, 05:02 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 9Z V-tail two independent servos

To set up a V-tail, you have to understand how they work. The V-tail setup of an airplane substitutes two flight surfaces where you usually have three. For the elevator function, both control surfaces will move up and down, just like a regular elevator control. For left and right they move differently.

For right rudder control, the left surface will move up, and the right surface will move down. If you look at the model from the tail, you will see both surfaces will have a deflection that gives right. The up of one and the down of the other will cancel any pitching tendency. For left rudder, the left surface will move down, and the right surface will move up. When you add elevator to rudder, you'll get a mixture of the two functions. It works quite well.

When you first set up, make sure the controls and trims are exactly centered, and then make sure the control surfaces are also exactly centered. Now you can adjust the V-tail mixer to give you the amount of up and down and left and right travel you need. You'll need to put in the amount of travel recommended by the model maker, and then adjust it as you fly the model until it has the flying "feel" you want it to have.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:56 AM
bgomez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 9Z V-tail two independent servos

Thanks Bax for your answer. Yes I fully understand how an V-tail works and what are the expected movements when elevator or rudder functions are used.

My question is about the "procedure" in the 9ZAP (ATV first, V-tail next, AFR?....) to define the movements of the two surfaces in order to adjust them properly for both controls rudder and elevator. As they are two independent servos I found diferences if only begin with the V-tail mix. Why I found the diferences because in my model the in elevator is not the same for up and down and then I found that diference in the rudder position when it has to be the same quantity of movement for rudder function.

Any help will be great. Thanks.

Regards.