Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

7UAFS TX Battery Cycling

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 03:47 PM
Navy_Flyer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 7UAFS TX Battery Cycling

I have a Hobbico Elite battery cycler. I want to occasionally cycle the Ni-Cd batteries in the TX, but I understand there is a diode that will not allow discharging. Can I bridge the diode with a simple say, 16 ga. electrical wire?
Is there a better solution to just removing the battery from the TX? I do not want to do this for fear of eventual fatigue of the connectors.
I have new 2000 maH Ni-MH packs I want to use - and have heard that Ni-MH do not have any cycling requirements as they do not have a memory issue like Ni-Cd. True?
Old 12-06-2007, 04:00 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 7UAFS TX Battery Cycling

Bridging the diode is most certainly NOT recommended. Your transmitter will then have no protection against a reversed charger connection, shorted leads, or the like. We'd suggest you have a poliswitch installed. This is like a two-way diode that will allow you to charge and discharge the battery pack, but will prevent high current flow if there's a short or reversed polarity.

If you send the transmitter to us, it's a flat $20.00 charge to install the poliswitch, and this includes the parts and testing. Return shipping is $8.99.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:13 PM
Navy_Flyer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you Bax! My Tx is a 7UAFS - do you still perform this service on these TX's? Should I ship with the battery installed or removed?
Old 12-07-2007, 11:16 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We normally don't work on 7U transmitters because we cannot perform repairs upon them. However, installing a poliswitch should pose no difficulties, it that's all that's needed. Please make this VERY CLEAR in the letter you include with it when you send it to us.