Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

8U Programming problem

Old 10-15-2008, 01:09 PM
dmccormick001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8U Programming problem

I have a Futaba 8U (not super) that I've had for several years, and I love it. I recently aquired a plane that uses dual elevator servos, and so I set up a pmix to make them function correctly. I mixed channel 2 (master) to channel 7 (slave) and everything was working just fine. I've flown the plane enough now to get used to it and to trust the engine, so I'm ready to experiment with it some to see what it will do. I activated the flapperon and airbrake functions, and that's when I discovered a strange thing. When I flip the switch for the airbrakes, only one half of my elevator, the half connected to channel 2, responds to the small input of down elevator pre-programmed into the airbrakes. No problem, I thought, I just need to turn the link function "on". But when I looked at the pmix I had used I discovered there was no way to do it. After quite a bit of experimenting with the programming, I found that if I slave channel 2 to any channel other than channel 7, the option to turn the link on or off appears, but if I slave channel 2 to channel 7 the link function never appears! Is this normal, or am I losing my mind? Why would this be true?

I've tried all five pmixes, all do the same thing. I tried inhibiting everything to see if there was a conflict or something, but nothing changes it. Bottom line is this: If I slave channel 2 to any channel other than 7, I have the option to turn the link on or off, but if I slave channel 2 to channel 7, the option for linking is gone.

I have my flapperons on two mixes that allow me to flip a switch and get two different flap positions, and airbrakes are activated, too. For now, I'm using a reversing wye on the two elevator servos, but the centering function on the wye tends to drift a little bit with changes in temperature, so I'd rather let my radio do it. My reciever is just a 7 channel, so for now I can't figure out how to do it. Can you shed any light on this? Thanks in advance for your help.

David
Old 10-17-2008, 11:57 PM
Motta

Default RE: 8U Programming problem

You must use the AILVATOR function with an 8 channel reciever
right elevator chanel 2 and left elevator chanel 8
Old 10-18-2008, 08:02 AM
dmccormick001

Default RE: 8U Programming problem

Thanks, but you didn't read the post.

I don't have an 8-channel RX in that plane, so I can't use the Ailvator function. But I've already mixed the elevator channel with another channel, so the elevator is working OK.

The question was, "Why does the link function disappear when you mix channel 2 with channel 7?" I can mix channel 2 with any other channel, and the link function is available, but if I mix it to channel 7, the link function never appears. It's just gone, not there, poof!

I suspect, since there hasn't been a response from any of the Futaba representatives who lurk on this forum, that it's a programming glitch that can't be fixed or worked around. I can't think of any reason why that would have been done deliberately to the 8U, it's probably just something that slipped through the programming of the unit and wasn't caught or noticed until after they started production. At least that's what I'm thinking.