Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

Futaba receivers and 2 battery packs; whats the best connection?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Futaba receivers and 2 battery packs; whats the best connection?

Must I plug the receiver battery into the labeled battery slot?

No. The receiver can have power input through any of the channel slots. Also, if you are using an 8-channel receiver which has just 8 slots, you can y-harness the battery with any of the 8 servos plugging into any of the 8 slots and it will operate normally.</p>The above was taken from your FAQ. Its all I could find on the matter.

Iuse a Y harness to connect two battery packs to the receiverfor the purpose ofdoubling capacity and providing redundancy.
However I was told by an "expert" that connecting the packs via their own switch to two separate channels on the receiver is better.

I am concerned with this advice (its being thrown about as the better solution) since I do not know if the receiver power bus will see the two battery input voltages in parallel or in series?

I am using the R606FS, R617FS and R6008HS receivers
Could you please explain which method is best. Iwould not like to provide excessive voltage to the receiver as it will run hotter through higher current draw.

Thanks

Old 08-31-2010, 03:03 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Futaba receivers and 2 battery packs; whats the best connection?

If you use two switch harnesses to connect two battery packs, then the receiver will see two packs in parallel. Make sure both packs have the same voltage and capacity to avoid difficulties. You will have to remove the packs from the airplane, or unplug them for charging because they will have a common ground, which causes difficulties with many chargers. They will also have to be charged separately. You cannot charge them together while still plugged in.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you kindly sir, You answered my question in the first line.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bax

Does this also apply when using dual ESC/BEC's?

If I hook in both ESC's on separate thottle channels and mix them together on J3, will that double my available capacity for servo power? I only have 3 amps available on each ESC/BEC, and it would be nice to have the 6 amp combined power so the swing-wing and retract servos don't over draw the system. This would also eliminate my having to use a separate 7 amp BEC.