Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Anybody own a 5.8 FPE.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 07:46 PM
GeraldRosebery
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody own a 5.8 FPE.

Everyone gets their fustrations and things get out of hand sometimes. I can't personally speak more highly of RC Showcase. They have always been great for me. I even sent them an early model ZDZ 80 I bought from a friend. It was originally bought during a trip to Germany. I fully expected to pay repair charges. They fixed it for free and paid for shipping back. If that isn't great service and product support, what is? Mike has always been very good at getting back to me as well.

Gerry Rosebery
Old 08-06-2003, 08:35 PM
aerolou
My Feedback: (3)

I have had the same experiences as GeraldRosebery.
I would recommend RC Showcase very highly without any reservations.

Lou
Old 08-06-2003, 08:40 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Mike really went the distance when I had a bad RCS 140. So bad in fact that he replaced it. It scared me and I sold the engine before I even ran it. I would not buy that engine again but I would do bussiness with that company any day of the week. Top notch service. !~)

HTH

Joe
Old 08-07-2003, 12:00 AM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: RCSHOWCASE

Originally posted by RandallM.

I don't doubt that they CAN be very helpfull, and CAN stand behind their product. But they never gave me the chance to get that far.

THEY JUST VERY POLITELY SCREEN THEIR CALLS TO PICK AND CHOOSE WHAT CALL GETS THEIR PERSONAL ATTENTION, AND WHAT OTHER CALLS ARE TO BE REGARDED AS NON ESSENTIAL.

This attitude shows.

Don't mind that above quote from me from an earlier post.

........ BECAUSE RIGHT AS I WAS PUTTING IT UP THERE TO MAKE MY ARGUMENT, I JUST GOT HIT BY A BOLT OF LIGHTENING! I finallly sees the light. Lord hath been good to me, to let you guys deliver the devine RCSHOWCASE message of truth and good business. (Maybe the seal of good houskeeping is on the way too!)
I sees, I sees. And now I GET IT! I really do!!

The message I now hear and understand is this:

"Randall, you buy the stuff for $700 to $800 first, and then you ask questions later. At that time they'll talk to you. Then you will hear the word"

That's the answer! Silly me. They stand behind there product and give you the time of day ONLY AFTER you part with the cash, not before.
Gosh, let me go to their web site tonight, and paypal them some cash for a new ZDZ80 right now now. I still don't know which muffler I will need, but I'll pick the most expensive one they have, so that way they will talk to me TWICE as long on the phone when I call to ask what I bought!

I'm sure glad I now know what I have been doing wrong all this time. Thank you my good brothers and sisters for showing me the way.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:18 AM
Taildrager-inactive
My Feedback: (11)

I called Mike at RCshowcase 3 times with all kinds of questions about their little RCS140, waited a month then called back and talked to Mike again before ordering. Maybe being new to gas engines helped, and being polite didn't hurt ether.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:09 AM
747drvr
My Feedback: (5)

Well it looks like it's luck of the draw . Some people get the great service and there's none left for us unlucky SOB's.

Marc
Old 08-07-2003, 11:52 AM
RCSHOWCASE

Default RE: RC SHOWCASE

"ABOUT THE FOLKS AT RCSHOWCASE(WHO SELL ZDZ): I am not a customer of RCSHOWCASE, and so they owe me nothing. I was trying to get information about the muffler options from Mike Dooley at RCSHOWCASE before I purchased the ZDZ80engine......and that's exactly what I got after 2 emails and a phone call there, NOTHING! I don't know if you guys have tried to talk to someone there, but it left me feeling like I was a being a genuine pain in the ass for trying. His e mails are brief and purposely ignore the question to save time and trouble. (I asked him to advise what type muffler may be used for the particular model I'm building. And he e mails be back with only the catolog number and price of the 3 available mufflers) His secretary is new, and admits to KNOWING NOTHING ABOUT THE ENGINES, but will not allow you to talk to anyone who does know anything. You know how she answered my question, of "How does the smoke muffler differ from the regular muffler?"....."It makes smoke, the other one doesn't" I told her, I had enough sense to know that! I basically wanted know about the differences in performance. (If there might be static thrust or RPMS differences.) Instead of putting me on the phone with someone I could speak with, she started writing down my questions on paper, word for word. It's obvious she has been instructed not to connect you directly with Mike Dooley or whoever else is there. I get another half assed e mail, again from Mike Dooley brief and missing the point. Finally I e mailed them back to tell them, that I was disgusted by now simply trying to get questions answered about their products, and that I didn't appreciate being treated like a "Freaking idiot" by the secretary, nor appreciated being "regarded as a nuicanse". You know what Mike Dooley's e mail back to me was? "Wow.....kind of Extreme. Call me ASAP" Never mind he could have responded: I'm sorry Randall, there must have been a misunderstanding. Give me a call, and I'll be happy to answer your questions. Nope. I just get called "Extreme", and orders to call him ASAP.

I'm going to try like the Devil not to buy a ZDZ, so I don't disturb them any longer."

Response to the above posting:

What might be wrong with admitting that one knows nothing about something? I have always considered the admission of ignorance the first step to learning. Yes, Debbie is new and yes she does take notes when Mike or Richard is on another line. Debbie was not instructed to not connect you with "Mike Dooley or whoever else is there" (Notice the use of the double negative?)
By the way she is not the secretary; she is our order processing/ office manager.

Sorry for the "treatment" you received. Debbie has a grand total of 2.5 weeks with us and is rapidly learning the language of our hobby. We would , of course, have loved to find someone to do this job that came with complete knowledge of the hobby, but as you might expect, that would be a rare find. So, we will have to work with what we can find and do our best to train them to be polite and helpful and to take complete messages while they are learning.

By the way, the use of foul, crude and insulting language does not inspire others to work very hard to be of assistance to you. But, having said that, we DO owe you the best we can offer and hope that you will "put up with us" and let us work with you.

However, don't try calling today as Mike is taking a rare day off to take care of some personal business. (08-7-02)

I will answer your question about the difference between smoke and non smoke mufflers: none, other than the "smoke muffler" having a smoke oil injection fitting.

With best regards,

David Garrison
RC Showcase
Old 08-07-2003, 05:00 PM
rustyrivet

Mr. Garrison,

Did I cuss your staff? Did I call them names? Did I yell at your secreatary on the phone?

Then what are you referring to as "foul, crude, and insulting language"? You mean I can't suggest that I(me) was regarded as a "pain in the ass" or ask "why I was treated like a "freaking idiot" It insults you when I say this is how I felt I was treated. Did I apply these labels to you, or was I applying them to me? Sorry, if after the frustration of two days of being brushed off by Mr.Dooley over both the e mails, and on the phone, I couldn't express my experience with your company in a more positive manner, printing a smiley face for you. Funny thing about folks who are given the run around for two days, when they really wanted help from you....they are liable to become irate, and impolite.

Sir, I had heard so many good things about your ZDZ80 engine, that honestly, I still would have felt safer buying it over an FPE. All I was trying to do was get the final details on what muffler I would have needed.

I couldn't get time of day from Mr.Dooley. And no, Debbie is not at fault for being new and inexperienced in RC. As far as I am concerned, this is how she is instructed to handle your calls for Mr.Dooley. I sincerely believe this, because this is the same quality of response I got directly from Mr.Dooley's e mails. Quick and evasive. I sincerely doubt that Mr. Dooley is an owner in your company. You sir are. And I can tell the difference.

Other than your subtle slight about my having some kind of maladjustment problem, I deem you a gentleman and way more professional at handling your business affairs then your counter part.
I am only sorry that you could not have personally tended to my needs on the onset. My questions about your products would have been answered more quick and simple as they should have been, and there would have been no ill feelings and catylist for this discussion.

Thank you for your personal attention.
Randall
Old 08-08-2003, 01:30 PM
aerolou
My Feedback: (3)

Oh jeeeez
Old 08-08-2003, 01:56 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

RC Showcase has been nothing but helpful to me.

I got a ZDZ 80 and canister pipe from them and barraged Mike with pics of my install... "is this right, will this works, what should I do here?"

And each time I got a response, usually the same day (often the same hour) that was polite and constructive. It was my first gas engine, my first canister and I had alot of questions.
I doub't seriously that any real money was made on me here as the time that was given surely ate up any profits.

No company is perfect, and there are circumstances when things can fall thru the cracks. But it's how the company responds to their error that sets them apart. I see Mr. Garrison has come forth in public and tried to make amends with you and I'm sure you'd find them knowledgable and very interested in your happiness with their products. Mr. Dooley probably has A LOT on his plate lately, with training the new office manager AND a new person in another department from what I gather.

Perhaps his words were chosen wrongly... (e-mails have a way of being cryptic as to their intent sometimes) but I'd bet if you HAD called him as he REQUESTED... the first words out of his mouth would have been... "I'm really sorry that you didn't get taken care of properly and timely... my bad... what can I do to make it up to you."

Dave Patrick, on the other hand simply dropped the ball ludicrously on a recent matter, and I never did get even the slightest hint of... sorry we dropped the ball. That even after 3 weeks of almost daily phone calls and e-mails of me JUST TRYING TO PLACE AN ORDER! To this day there has never been a "Gee Dave, can't imagine what went wrong, but were really sorry, we'll try our best and make sure the next time you try to do business with us is a great experience."

Seems Mr. Garrison just made that offer to you.

FP makes FINE engines. You can find even MORE info at their manufacturers site: http://www.fpengines.com

With that said... I LOVE my ZDZ 80 in a 26.75lb Edge 540... awesome performance and gets stronger each flight... and I'm still using a smaller break-in prop.

I have a ZDZ 50 in my Patty that's just about ready for it's maiden... Can't wait to get it airborn.
Old 08-09-2003, 03:39 AM
rustyrivet

The most recent e mail received from Mr. Dooley at RCSHOWCASE was civil and polite, but still accepts no personal fault for the poor quality of attention that I received from him. (no attention, actually describes it better.)His latest e mail note to me was a still a stubborn testimonial to the state of denial on his part. He acknowledges to having read my posts on this thread too, in which I have clearly stated my frustrating experience in trying to simply obtain information about the ZDZ line of products from him. His answer is that this has "turned ugly for no reason". Furthermore, just in case there was a problem however, he suggestsd that it would be his new office worker's fault anyway. So, I guess if he says that there's nothing wrong, then there must be nothing wrong. (because that 's what he suggests.)

You know, his reaction to my protest kind of reminds me of an instance way back, one day when my kid was 6 years old. Unexpectedly, my kid yanked the little hairs off of my arm . I jerked my arm away quickly and yelled "ouch!" Why did you do that? You know, that hurt!" He hesitated, looked at me straight in the face and say: "It didn't hurt me."

For the benefit of Mr. Garrison, who was at least sincere in addressing my complaint and trying to rectify the problem, I will omit his company name and topic from this Thread's Subject Title, to avoid any additional draw of readers to any adverse publicity.

I am done with this matter.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:59 PM
SLINGSHOT-RCU

Default FPE 5.8

Im glad to here good things about the FPE 5.8. I just orderd one for my Hanger9 1/3 sukhoi. hope i have good ver...
Old 08-11-2003, 04:22 PM
BAS
My Feedback: (28)

I am sure you will like it remember it takes at least 5 to 7 gallons of fuel to break one of the 5.8 s in mine after about 5 gallons started to really run strong so dont get unpatient. Bruce
Old 08-11-2003, 11:57 PM
rustyrivet

Slingshot,
I feel pretty confident now with the FPE. I've heard only good input about it in private e mails as well. Let me know how it goes once you get it and start breaking it in.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:07 AM
SLINGSHOT-RCU

Originally posted by RandallM.
Slingshot,
I feel pretty confident now with the FPE. I've heard only good input about it in private e mails as well. Let me know how it goes once you get it and start breaking it in.
Mine will be here this week i hope, I,ll keep you up to date.

BAS, Thanks i think it will do just fine.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:58 PM
SLINGSHOT-RCU

Default FPE5.8

Originally posted by bestrcpilot
I have a FPE 5.8 in a 28 pound Ultimate.
A great engine very little shake for a big single. The engine is made by http://www.fpengines.com/ and sold by SIG . By the way the service is great I had to send mine in to have a bearing replaced( got the engine in the Ultimate used, there was rust in the front bearing) the turn around was less then a week. It starts easy and runs with my 3W 100 and is lighter. The only down side is that it is a little loud with the stock "muffler"
it does have a bark to it. At about half the price of a 100cc twin and the same power. Go for it if you do not need the latest and greatest twin.

I'm not saying that 3W and DA are not great engines I own both, but a good single does have a place in the market and this engine is it.

Scott Yeo
Bestrcpilot
HELLO Bestrcpilot, i just got my fpe5.8 great looking eng. im puting it on a hanger9 sukhoi around 25lbs. dry . did you haft to change timing or anything else? any info will help .. THANKS
Old 08-15-2003, 12:22 AM
bestrcpilot

HELLO Bestrcpilot, i just got my fpe5.8 great looking eng. im puting it on a hanger9 sukhoi around 25lbs. dry . did you haft to change timing or anything else? any info will help .. THANKS

Hello Eddie
All I diid was to bolt it up to the airframe and run it for tank full to set the needles and to see how long it would run on 32 oz. of gas. No need to set the timing and all the needles needed was a 1/16 turn on the high speed needle. I brake-in all my engines in the air on a mix of 32 to 1 gas and oil after about ten gallon thur them I run 100 to 1 amsoil.
Have fun with it and get it in the air

Bestrcpilot