Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Moki 1.8

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 10:54 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moki 1.8

Does anyone have any info on this engine it's the Moki 1.8 a 30cc engine. Any good, parts still available? A buddy of mine says he's got a brand new one that he wants to sell for a couple hundred bucks. Thanks for any help.......
Old 09-21-2010, 11:11 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Moki 1.8

I owned one for ten years and when it died (bearing failure) I bought its big brother - Moki 2.10. (35 cc). They use low nitro fuel (either zero percent nitro or 5% nitro). I have success with OS "F" glow plug. Also I bought a Cline fuel system (about $50) that keeps the fuel pressure to the engine constant at all throttle settings and in any attitude. Very high power-to-weight ratio with the Moki glow engine.

They are made in Hungary I think. The US importer was Jim Gerrard for many years and he had the engines named "Moki". That ended about 8 or 10 years ago. Since then the factory has shipped some engines into the US labelled "Mark" engines. They are identical to the Moki's. Parts may be a problem.

Moki also makes some gasoline engines, but I have assumed that you are talking about the glow versions.

Mine usually starts on the first flip (backwards) after priming until wet. You flip the prop backwards and the engine pops and runs in the forward direction most every time.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:16 PM
My Feedback: (3)

I had the 2.10 for a long time. I set it up just like DMcQuinn, Cline regulator and OS F plug. Great engine! Lots of power and very reliable.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Moki Engines, clickhere>>>>>> http://www.mokiengine.com/index.html

Best Regards Capt,n P.S. Fine engine...I have one!<hr />http://www.globalhobby.com/
Old 09-22-2010, 11:17 AM

I have a original Moki 1.8 for many year's now. It's a original Czech engine I believe? Like the others have said, very strong & reliable. I run mine on 5% nitro only with 20% lube. It doesn't like higher nitro & stays pretty cool. Leaves a nice vapor trail. I fly at altitude @ 5300' & it does fine. Flip it backwards after wet primed as previously mentioned and it kicks over in the correct direction due to all the compression. I've gotten the few parts I've needed from "just engines" in the UK. I don't use a fuel pump, just larger fuel line, on supply & pressure, & it does fine in all manuevers & attitudes. It's in a 120 Stinger weighing 17 lbs 2 oz. Not quiet unlimited vertical, but pulls upline very well. If I was at sea level, I'm sure it would scream! I'm using a "Menz" 18 x 8 prop, getting 8800 rpm tops, leaning to 8600 rpm for flight.
Good luck. It's thursty, but powerful!
Old 09-22-2010, 11:32 AM

I am looking for a dealer in Michigan that handles the New Moki GAS version. So far all the places I called, that Global has listed does not even seem to know about any kind of Moki engine....Gas or Glow. this to me is very frustrating to say the least.Man I hate it when you ask about a product...many hobby dealers do not seem to know anything about it. Capt,n

Old 09-22-2010, 12:32 PM

Dave De,

I even have a copy of a copy of a maunal & parts breakdown of the Moki 1.8. I could fax, or scan & email a copy of it if you would like? Let me know.

Mark
Old 09-22-2010, 03:46 PM

Thanks for the replies, from what I understand, my buddy told me this Moki he has is a gasser.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:30 PM

Your buddies Moki is propably not a real Moki. Another outfit put Moki,s name on the engines they sell. There was a lawsuit about it. I think it hurt the "real" Moki engine sales quite a bit. Capt,n
Old 09-23-2010, 11:04 AM

Photos of the Real Moki engines= the first 2 photos

Photos of engines that are not the real Moki= last 2 photos

I may be wrong...so if some person that can come up with more details...Great! Capt,n
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26062.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	1505731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95773.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	1505732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr52997.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	1505733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv53913.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	1505734  
Old 09-24-2010, 06:49 PM

Capt,n, thanks for posting those pics! That will help alot.......
Old 09-24-2010, 07:33 PM

I should go on to say, the possibe "rebranded" Mokiengines could be very good engines too. I wish I knew more of the details. If you can, take a photo of any used engine you may want to buy and post a photo of it. There are several pros on RCU that can give good advice. Best Regards Capt,n
Old 09-24-2010, 09:41 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Moki 180/210 now known as Mark and and sold by Hobby people are all the same engine and are made in Hungary

There are two different looking Moki/Mark gas engines of this company

The new ones have a beehive head design. The old ones had a conventional looking head

The RCS brand of gas engines sold in the USA for 7 or 8 years are also known as Moki's in Europe. I think they are made in Czechoslovakia?
Old 09-25-2010, 08:49 AM

Well my wanting any more Moki engines has come to a END! I called a lot of Hobby shops and nobody seems to have them. After reading the following I can see why. Nice engine...but hard to buy one &amp; parts...you may as well forget that entirely. So here below is a cut &amp; Paste. Capt,n<hr />A PASTE
<div>i'm posting this for my father Jim Bisson......

I have been watching this discussion for a while now and feel it is time for me to weigh-in on this subject. I think that I have a better vantage point on this mess than most. My company (Bisson Custom Mufflers) has had a long working relationship with Jim Gerard (Gerard Enterprises, Inc. <span class="high"><font size="1" style="background-color: #ffff00">MOKI </font></span>USA). With few exceptions, <span class="high"><font size="1" style="background-color: #ffff00">Moki </font></span>engines have my mufflers on them. This symbiotic relationship started twelve years ago at the Toledo show when I was just starting to make mufflers and Jim was just starting to import and market the <span class="high"><font size="1" style="background-color: #ffff00">Moki </font></span>engines. It was clear to Jim that in order to sell engines he needed good mufflers. It was equally evident to me, that working with Jim would help to expand our muffler business. I am privy to some of the problems that have resulted in this unfortunate current situation. The company in Hungary that makes the <span class="high"><font size="1" style="background-color: #ffff00">Moki </font></span>glow engines, that we all know and love, is actually called Remek Motorok Kft. It has had this name for only a few months, and has actually changed it&rsquo;s name four times in the last ten years! It is anybody&rsquo;s guess as to what this was all about? This succession of companies has enjoyed remarkable growth in the US market from the very beginning with Gerard&rsquo;s assistance. Within the last three years, that growth has turned to decline. Aside from any sales information from Remek or Gerard, I can tell you without question that the popularity of <span class="high"><font size="1" style="background-color: #ffff00">Moki </font></span>glow engines is fading. This decline can be clearly seen from our sales of mufflers for <span class="high"><font size="1" style="background-color: #ffff00">Moki </font></span>glow engines.

A few years back Jim Gerard was successful in getting the <span class="high"><font size="1" style="background-color: #ffff00">Moki </font></span>line established as a high profile product line at Horizon. I should also point out that Jim helped make it possible for B.C.M. to become a successful product line with both Horizon and Hobbico. This relationship that <span class="high"><font size="1" style="background-color: #ffff00">Moki </font></span>enjoyed with Horizon ended in February of this year. There were many reasons for this, such as declining sales, significantly higher (30-35%) wholesale costs. This was due to price increases by <span class="high"><font size="1" style="background-color: #ffff00">Moki </font></span>and the unfavorable Euro/USD exchange rate. The decline in sales has to do with many things, not the least of which is the rapid change in interest from glow engines to gasoline engines in the <span class="high"><font size="1" style="background-color: #ffff00">Moki </font></span>displacement range. Jim has continually stressed the importance of moving into the gasoline market to the <span class="high"><font size="1" style="background-color: #ffff00">Moki </font></span>manufacture for many years with no real success. To date there have been only two prototype 1.80 gasoline engines tested that are basically quick "slap on a Walbro and an ignition system" conversions, that have proven to not be very impressive. Probably the biggest thing that caused Horizon to loose interest was the fact that <span class="high"><font size="1" style="background-color: #ffff00">Moki </font></span>has not introduced any new products in over six years.

Because of declining demand, not only in the US, but in other world markets, Remek has decided that it would be OK to sell <span class="high"><font size="1" style="background-color: #ffff00">Moki </font></span>engines, and engines with other names on them, through the back door! When you have established good relationships with your importers, distributors, and dealers, you don&rsquo;t start selling your products trough some phony Canadian web site, or even worse, directly from Hungary. This kind of thing has been going on now for about a year or so, and in my estimation, is a very foolish move. Many of you will remember that <span class="high"><font size="1" style="background-color: #ffff00">Moki </font></span>engines were often in short supply. This was not because Horizon, or Gerard failed to purchase enough to meet the demand, it was because the factory could not build them. Judging from our sales of mufflers to other <span class="high"><font size="1" style="background-color: #ffff00">Moki </font></span>importers around the world, I would guess that about 80% of <span class="high"><font size="1" style="background-color: #ffff00">Moki </font></span>&rsquo;s production comes to the USA. Now with the worldwide decline in sales, the factory finds, that from time to time, they have excess engines with no customers. This is one of the reasons that things have really "hit a brick wall" The <span class="high"><font size="1" style="background-color: #ffff00">Moki </font></span>folks have gotten used to the idea that no matter how many engines they make, they could sell them all to Gerard Enterprise. In the middle of July, having just received a large shipment of engines, Gerard was informed that they had another large batch ready to ship. Jim had little option but to tell them that they would have to wait a while. This apparently caused widespread panic at <span class="high"><font size="1" style="background-color: #ffff00">Moki </font></span>.

Unfortunately, it has always been that the <span class="high"><font size="1" style="background-color: #ffff00">Moki </font></span>company never had the operating capital to produce engines and stock them. They must sell each production run (generally 150 -200 units) in order to have the cash to build the next run! This dilemma lead to much discussion that resulted in Gerard offering to take half of the engines, and a large number of spare parts in order to help them out. Jim paid the money based on a proforma invoice and shipping manifest that was sent by the factory. The bottom line is that after waiting for the funds to arrive at their bank, they refused to ship the order, and they refuse to return the money! They are claiming that they are imposing a 50% cancellation penalty because Jim did not buy all of the engines. This is B.S. of the highest order. As it turns out now, virtually all of their other customers around the world know about this, and have refused to prepay for any orders in the future, and some have dropped the <span class="high"><font size="1" style="background-color: #ffff00">Moki </font></span>line altogether. It is a strange logic that would lead somebody to rip-off his biggest customer, and then expect that his other customers wouldn&rsquo;t run for the hills!

One very distressing aspect of the whole mess is that a good portion of the order that was never shipped was a lot of <span class="high"><font size="1" style="background-color: #ffff00">Moki </font></span>spare parts. To me this shows a real disregard for the people that are really most important, we the <span class="high"><font size="1" style="background-color: #ffff00">Moki </font></span>owners. With no parts coming in, Gerard will soon have a big problem in repairing our engines and providing parts. By the way, I notice that "<span class="high"><font size="1" style="background-color: #ffff00"> moki </font></span>factory" has posted in this forum that Dave Patrick Models has agreed to do <span class="high"><font size="1" style="background-color: #ffff00">Moki </font></span>service work. I can assure you that this is not true, this is just a desperate bit of imagination by the folks in Hungary. One other idiotic move that these guys have made is to show on their web site that Horizon is their US distributor. I guess they think that this will impress somebody somewhere. If you follow the Horizon link you will find, as you probably already know, all <span class="high"><font size="1" style="background-color: #ffff00">Moki </font></span>engines and parts have been discontinued. To wrap this up I would suggest that the Remek company is probably at the end of the line. It has been a good ride, I love my <span class="high"><font size="1" style="background-color: #ffff00">Moki </font></span>engines, as I am sure you do as well. Time to buy a new gas engine and retire that trusty old glow <span class="high"><font size="1" style="background-color: #ffff00">Moki </font></span>.
</div>

</p>
Old 09-25-2010, 10:58 AM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That cut and past was written some 6 years ago.

I remember the Dave Patrick or so called DP Moki's but never heard of anybody actually owning one.

Shortly after the DP episode, the two guys in Texas (Morris Hobbies) started selling the Mark engines but they fizzled completely

The Bisson article is correct about there being really nothing new from Moki and it is still true even 6 yrs after that was written.

Since Hobby People have picked up Mark/Moki, they announced the new Mark/Moki gas engine with the beehive head and a different Walbro carb but other than seeing them at the trade shows, no one has shown any pictures of owning one.

Back in 2002 or so . . . seemed like everyone had Moki's. All those same people now have big gas engines. I don't see the Moki's anymore.

Jim Girard had the Moki distributership on the Bay several times but to my knowledge, no one ever bought it.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:47 PM

I believe Chief Aircraft still sells the Mark/Moki 2.10 glow. Not sure about the gass engines
Old 09-30-2010, 06:33 PM

Wow, I need a cold one after reading all that. I think I'll tell my buddy no thanks.....
Old 09-30-2010, 08:57 PM
My Feedback: (264)

ORIGINAL: dave de

Wow, I need a cold one after reading all that. I think I'll tell my buddy no thanks.....

These are great engines, Hobby people in california imports them into the US. Any hobby shop that deals with them should be able to get you what you need.

I buy my moki/mark parts and engines from just engines in england, I (just last week) bought a 1.35 case from them and it was nearly 1/2 the price of hobby people w/shipping included.

Just engines has a great reputation, many on this board have bought items from them.

http://www.justengines.co.uk/acatalog/Moki.html
Old 07-19-2012, 10:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have started to represent MOKI in the Netherlands. The engines are worth it.

Here is a video of the test run of the inline 60cc in my new Bidule58 tow plane.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnEU8VC_75k
Old 07-19-2012, 12:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I should be pretty happy that I have a brand new Moki G 1.80 sitting for my winter project. Not sure what style muffler yet though, I have plenty of time. I know Bill Jensen picked up the Moki/Mark line not to long ago after Hobby People stopped carrying them.

Andy
Old 07-19-2012, 01:33 PM

You won't be disappointed. Spare ignitions are abundant if RCexl suits you.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:47 PM

I could use some help, this is my first Moki 1.8 engne and I am running a Perry V-30 pump and having a terrible time getting fuel to THE CARB to start it and then having hard time with mid range.
was to nervous of the run-in to make maiden flight. The engine is used but plenty of compression suppose to have only been run 10 or 12 times. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Off Wed. and would surely like to make a maiden voyage in the big bad bird.

Laws of physics are a the same for us all, it's up to you how fast or how hard you hit the deck!!!
Old 09-24-2012, 06:19 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Bassmangolf Give it a shot of fuel right in the carb opening and turn it over a few times very carefully before you try to start it. I have two 210's and they start everytime with that method. Keep it rich for a few flights and always run it so you see a vapor trail in the air. good luck they are great engines. BJ's engines sevices them and has parts.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:00 PM

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

I have started to represent MOKI in the Netherlands. The engines are worth it.

Here is a video of the test run of the inline 60cc in my new Bidule58 tow plane.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnEU8VC_75k
Pe, I did see the Moki twin video before. Sounds real good. Best Regards to a friend in RC forums. Capt,n RCU
Old 09-25-2012, 03:11 AM

That engine now runs a 24x10 Xoar prop at 6250 rpm and MTW-TD75 muffler. Very silent combination if flight. The tuned pipe seemed to have no influence due to the two-in-one header, so I took it off.

PS
Please excuse the thread hijack.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.