Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA 50 Plug Cap

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 10:55 AM
rslstft
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA 50 Plug Cap

I recently damaged the spark plug cap on my DA 50 in a nose over. Actually it removed it completely leaving just the plug wire itself. I have repair kits, but was unsure if DA uses a resistor in line before the spark plug, it looks like resistor plug wire, which would negate the use of the resistor, but since the repair kits I have contain the resistor, I was unsure whether to use it or not? Anyone know?
Thanks.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: DA 50 Plug Cap

Use the resistor!
Old 09-29-2010, 06:07 PM
mpascual
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: rslstft

I recently damaged the spark plug cap on my DA 50 in a nose over. Actually it removed it completely leaving just the plug wire itself. I have repair kits, but was unsure if DA uses a resistor in line before the spark plug, it looks like resistor plug wire, which would negate the use of the resistor, but since the repair kits I have contain the resistor, I was unsure whether to use it or not? Anyone know?
Thanks.
DON'T use the resistor IF the plug wire is carbon made. Your spark plug will become very hot.
Use the resistor ONLY when the plug wire is made of metal.
Insert a piece of metal rod with same length as resistor instead.

Regards
Old 09-29-2010, 06:16 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was my understanding that the resistor was needed only with non-resistor plugs. Is this wrong??

AV8TOR
Old 09-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

It was my understanding that the resistor was needed only with non-resistor plugs. Is this wrong??

AV8TOR
DA engines use CM-6 plugs which are non resistor plugs. Every DA I have been in contact with has used the resistor in the plug lead. There may be exceptions but there is a reason DA supplies resistors with their replacement caps. If you don't use the resistor, I don't know how you would connect the plug lead center conductor to the spring that makes contact with the plug top connection. Just like in the Rcexl ignition, one end of the resistor pushes into the plug lead center conductor to make contact there .... the other end makes contact with the spring in the top of the plug cap. Its really a very simple system that can only be assembled correctly one way.