Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Zenoah G-62 hop-up question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 06:11 PM
martezz2733
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zenoah G-62 hop-up question?

I know I am getting a little greedy or foolish but I'm rebuilding my G-62. Im getting a piston and a cylinder head for it new and also a new carburetor (ever heard of port and polish ha ha) no just kidding i'm really trying to get more out of it. If so can anyone give me some positive input on this? I would really appreciate it.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:26 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Zenoah G-62 hop-up question?

You can put one of these smaller mufflers on it

http://www.rcextremepower.net/mufflers.html
Old 01-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was thinking more along the line of 80 or 85CC's as a respectable hop up, but it involves a bit more than a carb, cylinder head and a little polishing. If one plans on doing any "porting" they had better have a large quantity of heads.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:13 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I would say the best bang for the buck would be getting rid of the mag ignition and going to electronic. The second would be to get a muffler that will let it breath.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:48 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

How about a header and a tuned pipe?
Old 01-05-2011, 08:23 PM
GreaTOne_65

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had a fellow, who built a tuned pipe for his G-62 out of a softball bat. It had the magneto ignition on, and would turn a 22X10 at 8,000 rpms. A real stump puller.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:39 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Yup I have read many posts about how a G62 becomes a monster on a pipe.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:42 AM
martezz2733

wow the tuned pipe sounds good does anybody know where to buy one or how about the guy who made one can you show me some pics about the pipe you made. the electronic ignition i have is a rcexl it's going on a topflight p 51
Old 01-06-2011, 05:54 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: w8ye

You can put one of these smaller mufflers on it

http://www.rcextremepower.net/mufflers.html

Thanks for the link ! This company has a muffler that should work on my current project.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:15 AM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

The more power you pull out of a G-62 the narrower the power band. On a pipe with correct pipe timing the engine will make a ton of power, but it will be like flying an on/off switch. Either full power or nothing.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:34 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

I was thinking more along the line of 80 or 85CC's as a respectable hop up, but it involves a bit more than a carb, cylinder head and a little polishing. If one plans on doing any "porting" they had better have a large quantity of heads.
Also the guy doing the porting better have a good Head....also some extra cylinders where the ports live!

Capt,n
Old 01-06-2011, 03:27 PM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Forget the EI unless you want easier starting, it adds nothing to the top end, somewhat better idle. The secret for getting the most out of a G-62 is the prop. Go with a smaller diameter, higher pitch and let the engine wind up. I have a friend who's TF P-51 at 29lbs was blowing the doors off of 24lb 51's with ZDZ 80's. They couldn't believe it was a G-62. He was using a Mezlich 20X10 fiberglass prop. I get similar performance with my 47 by using a Zinger 20X8X14 prop. Takes a little while to get up on the step but then be ready for a real performer.
Larry
Old 01-06-2011, 06:48 PM
martezz2733

thanks for the info on the prop size ill try it still would love to hear from the guy who made the tuned pipe
Old 01-06-2011, 07:34 PM
GreaTOne_65

If you reread my post it was a fellow in our club who did it. It wasn't hard to do, I will say, he is/was a crackerjack mechanic, and old hot rodder. He was always working on something, trying to get the most out of what he had. I can't send you any pictures as he sold the plane the engine was in, I haven't seen the airplane in probably 3 yrs. don't know if it's even still around. What I can tell you was he cut the handle off at the 1" diameter mark, welded a small piece of tube, maybe, 1/2" diameter for the exhaust pipe. He made the header from an aluminum lawn chair, then played with the length until it gained the rpm I reported. It was on a Lanier 504 Edge, and it sure didn't lack for power.

I'm sorry I can't do better than that, but I know if you have the patience, it will work, I saw it. The hardest part was the header, and those are available from different hobby shops.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:32 AM
martezz2733

Thanks for that reply. If I got it you cut the handle of the bat at the 1" diam. mark, and fasten it to the motor with a header or connecting pipe of your choice. But I guess the important part is cutting the larger diameter portion of the bat to play with the length for the rpms. I guess it is like the tuned pipe on a 91 for ducted fans, but the pipe had a bell on it. This would not. Would it work the same way, would it still gain back pressure for that sweet spot?
Old 01-07-2011, 07:43 AM
mrbigg

ORIGINAL: larry@coyotenet

The secret for getting the most out of a G-62 is the prop. Go with a smaller diameter, higher pitch and let the engine wind up.
Larry
Well said.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 01-07-2011, 07:46 AM
mrbigg

If you still want a tuned pipe, Macs has them and headers also. ES Composites makes a pipe also. A guy here named Rich had one on his 62. Great power.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:00 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wouldn't two aluminum baseball bats be needed to make a single tuned pipe? One better be a crackerjack welder to tackle this job. Me, I'd buy the Mac's pipe. I suspect that it would be cheaper in the end anyway.

By the time one buys all of the stuff to soup up the G62, one could have bought a much more powerful engine from Hobby King and been flying instead of tinkering. Although, I must admit that there are many times when I'd rather be tinkering anyway. Best of luck to you and your project.

Ed Cregger
Old 01-07-2011, 08:01 AM
GreaTOne_65

Hey, Marte. What he was after was the shape of the bat, the taper, to make the exhaust pulses work. I think the area inside the bat must have been sufficient because he didn't use a very big outlet. He just kept messing with the length until it got what he was looking for. I will e-mail him and see what more I can learn.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:48 AM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: NM2K

Wouldn't two aluminum baseball bats be needed to make a single tuned pipe? One better be a crackerjack welder to tackle this job. Me, I'd buy the Mac's pipe. I suspect that it would be cheaper in the end anyway.

By the time one buys all of the stuff to soup up the G62, one could have bought a much more powerful engine from Hobby King and been flying instead of tinkering. Although, I must admit that there are many times when I'd rather be tinkering anyway. Best of luck to you and your project.

Ed Cregger
Yea replace that G-62, that will last for 10 years easy with proper care, with a cheap piece of junk from China.
You go ahead and when you are trying find parts for engine after it clunks to it eventual death I will still be flying my G62.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:55 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Look towards the Gas Scooter guys for hop ideas for the G-62. They modify them within and inch of their lives. Granted, their power band is probably much higher than ours, but it should point you in the right direction.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:37 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

I knew that comment would drag someone into the fore and out of the closet. No, not THAT closet. The American made engine closet. But wait, Zenoahs are made in Japan!!! So, let me see if I am getting this right - you're loyal to the Japanese and not the Chinese?

I've owned four or five Zenoah G62 engines over the years and loved every one of them. I still have some Zenoah engines stashed away. Some NIB, some well used, so I understand where you're coming from, my friend.

Honestly, are the DLE-55's really that bad? I have one of those too.

Ed Cregger

Yea replace that G-62, that will last for 10 years easy with proper care, with a cheap piece of junk from China.
You go ahead and when you are trying find parts for engine after it clunks to it eventual death I will still be flying my G62.
[/quote]
Old 01-09-2011, 10:18 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

A place called davesmotor.com used to sell a new billet head for the G-62 that gave some very impressive numbers W/O the use of a pipe. There is a thread on it on here someplace a search should show it up.
I had a man do my port work for one of my G-62 engines, he did a very nice job of things and the engine did gain somewhat but not to what I was expecting. I even borrowed a Trevor Simpson G-62 reed assembly from Ralph and tried it, it still didn't get me where I thought it should be. If I was to do it all over again I would go with the billet head a good muffler and be done with it.

I did a search and came up with the thread I was looking for. Notice the muffler he is useing. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_41...tm.htm#4171870
Old 01-09-2011, 01:54 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's the site but they must not have it right now?

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...egory.27895/.f

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...egory.27908/.f

Old 01-09-2011, 08:06 PM
martezz2733

Thanks so much for all of you guys input on this little endeavor of mine. I have successfully rebuilt the G62 and the 2nd tank of gas will be running through it tomorrow. Kicked right up. I am still going to play around with the tuned pipe idea but for now thanks to Dave motors, I have replaced pretty much everything and have a Bennett pitts style muffler on it. I have also put a 22x10 APC on it but still have not tacked it. I will let you guys know how it does, and keep you posted with any changes I might make. My top flite P-51 mustang should really scream now. (GreaTOne_65)I will anxiously wait to hear how the guy you've been flying with turned the bat into the tuned pipe. My next project is going to be a H-9 PT-19, I am trying to get my hands on a G26 EI, I have a G45 that I am trying to trade if you guys know anyone who might be interested. I will keep you posted on that project too. This has been a lot of fun.
Thanks again. Marty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.