Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

List of Chinese Engines

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 08:41 PM
Whistling Death

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: List of Chinese Engines

ORIGINAL: jedijody
Just be patient, I'm sure there will soon be a new Hobby King brand manufacturing the S.O. 55 that will look exactly like it and only cost $250 to your door.
Now that you mention it I am really surprised that hasn't happened yet.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:40 PM
Rfabbre
My Feedback: (6)

OK. Here is my 2 cents worth.

The more the merrier. If they are all clones of 2 or 3, who cares?

Look at what a broad choice it gives us. Some are better than others and they cost a bit more. Some last longer than others. People who want quality can go for those known for it. Those on a tight budget or who only put a few hours/year on an engine can go for the cheaper ones.

Come to think of it, isn't that why they make BMWs and VWs, Fords and Caddys???

Oh, one more thing. It gives us all something to talk about on RCU. And, it makes a great hobby even better.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:56 PM
guille2006

You should add the GMS and Supertigre (it's chinesse cr@p now; not the good old italian stuff)

ORIGINAL: apalsson

Here is a sorted list:

1. 3MM
2. CRRC
3. DJ
4. DLA (made by Feio Model)
5. DLE
6. DM (made by SV)
7. DMSS
8. DZY (Taiwanese??)
9. FTL (made by RCGF??)
10. GRPro
11. HH (another ZJ engine - same origins as RCGF)
12. JBA
13. JC (made by SV - rebranded??)
14. MLD (same source as SPE??)
15. MT
16. Pte (Pterodactyl ) - another SV engine
17. RCG (same as RCGF)
18. RCGF(ZJ Consortium??)
19. Red Lion (SV origins??)
20. REV (Same engine as JC Engines)
21. SPE (Same source as MLD??)
22. SV
23. TGY (Turnigy? A rebrand of FTL??)
24. Turnigy? (TGY - HH, FTL, RCG)
25. XYZ
26. YDA (made by SV for JC Engines for RC Aero??)
Old 02-08-2011, 03:39 AM
novayusa

What is necessary to specifically set the engine of China's brand?
Old 02-08-2011, 04:52 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

what will probably happen, you will see more DLA's DM's RCG's being sold in order to get a cheaper engine than the DLE.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:18 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree the more the merrier. But also I am leary that the blatant copying will stifle creativity and new development. The gas engines are a good example of that. Not much high tech improvements over the years and now that somebody like OS and a few others spend their money to develop improvements, the return on their investment will be reduced by copyers.

And don't expect that this activity doesn't impact the economies of Japan, Taiwan, and even the US!!!
Old 02-08-2011, 05:58 AM
novayusa

Whether these lower-cost engine can cause more beginners into the ranks of gasoline engines?
Old 02-08-2011, 05:58 AM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

I agree the more the merrier. But also I am leary that the blatant copying will stifle creativity and new development. The gas engines are a good example of that. Not much high tech improvements over the years and now that somebody like OS and a few others spend their money to develop improvements, the return on their investment will be reduced by copyers.

And don't expect that this activity doesn't impact the economies of Japan, Taiwan, and even the US!!!

Don't know if you've ever heard the term "industrial espionage" but it's been going on forever in every industry you can think ofand won't stop anytime soon.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:31 AM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: jedijody

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

Don't know if you've ever heard the term ''industrial espionage'' but it's been going on forever in every industry you can think of and won't stop anytime soon.
True!! I am in the auto industry and have been in the defense aerospace industry in the past. Very painfully aware.

I guess my point is that we can't do anything without infinging on somebody else's patent, and then others have no restrictions. It would be nice to have some balance.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:50 AM
apalsson

ORIGINAL: closetguy

what will probably happen, you will see more DLA's DM's RCG's being sold in order to get a cheaper engine than the DLE.
Very true but here is food for thought for you:
Looking back over the last few years, haven't a couple of "brands" that we now see as "originals" come about exactly by copying someone's work?
I notice in the discussion, DLE is never referred to as a clone but rather something that others aspire to copying?
How far back do we have to go to have DLE fairly and squarely on the list of "shameless copiers" ?
I can think of a couple of other now "well known brands" where the same is the case.
Also - how did the "original" behind DLE come about?
Old 02-08-2011, 10:37 AM
hsukaria

Looking back over the last few years, haven't a couple of ''brands'' that we now see as ''originals'' come about exactly by copying someone's work?
I notice in the discussion, DLE is never referred to as a clone but rather something that others aspire to copying?
How far back do we have to go to have DLE fairly and squarely on the list of ''shameless copiers'' ?
I can think of a couple of other now ''well known brands'' where the same is the case.
Also - how did the ''original'' behind DLE come about?
good point
Old 02-08-2011, 11:02 AM
Whistling Death

Looking back over the last few years, haven't a couple of ''brands'' that we now see as ''originals'' come about exactly by copying someone's work?
How far back do we have to go to have DLE fairly and squarely on the list of ''shameless copiers'' ?
I can think of a couple of other now ''well known brands'' where the same is the case.
Because DLE, then DL, cloned the DA engine and anyone who clones a DA is in the clique.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:13 PM
kfmflys
My Feedback: (28)

And not one single Chinese engine worth the cost of shipping! They do make good glider pilots though; since they usually dead-stick or just wear out in a few flights. It's too bad there are so many. There is no such thing as a GOOD cheap engine. Our hobby time should be spent flying; not fiddling with poor running unreliable engines, Just spend the extra bucks and get the extra flying time: Buy DA, 3W, Zenoah, Saito, OS, Sachs, you know the good ones from USA, Japan, Germany. And buy them from your local Hobby Shop not some foreign web site off the internet!!
Old 02-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: kfmflys

And not one single Chinese engine worth the cost of shipping! They do make good glider pilots though; since they usually dead-stick or just wear out in a few flights. It's too bad there are so many. There is no such thing as a GOOD cheap engine. Our hobby time should be spent flying; not fiddling with poor running unreliable engines, Just spend the extra bucks and get the extra flying time: Buy DA, 3W, Zenoah, Saito, OS, Sachs, you know the good ones from USA, Japan, Germany. And buy them from your local Hobby Shop not some foreign web site off the internet!!
Apparently you have never owned a DLE.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:45 PM
I-fly-any-and-all

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Whistling Death

Got started in another thread so I figured it best to put it here.
We have been inundated with engines from the exploding Chinese RC engine market.
Here is the list so far, add and edit as needed.

1. DM
2. FTL
3. DLA
4. DMSS
5. RCG
6. RCGF
7. XYZ
8. DJ
9. MT
10. JC
11. 3MM
12. MLD
13. CRRC
14. HH
14. SV
15. DZY
15. YDA
16. DLE
17. TGY
18. SPE
19. REV
20. JBA
21. Red Lion
22. GRPro
23. Turnigy?

dont forget magnum and asp
Old 02-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

Buy DA, 3W, Zenoah, Saito, OS, Sachs, you know the good ones from USA, Japan, Germany. And buy them from your local Hobby Shop not some foreign web site off the internet!!
Last time I checked, Germany and Japan were considered foreign countries. Out of all the engine brands you listed, all but one are foreign companies.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:05 PM
aussiesteve

[8D]
I refer to my Sig Line

ok Whistling Death - the DLE is by far the very best of the Chinese bunch - by a very long long way.
Why is that?
Because they listened to Westerners input way back when they were first released to the original dealers in late 2006 (not long ago was it !!!) - they learnt the lesson of not using cheap bearings etc and understood the need to actually back up their product and their dealers with real spare parts parts availability and real service - unlike the other 2 main manufacturers.
I bet if the Western Dealers stopped providing input and feedback, even they would very quickly slip into the accepted Chinese traditions of cost saving in the wrong areas for the end user (actually, that sounds a little like the chrysler vehicles available to us over here)
Old 02-08-2011, 03:11 PM
kfmflys
My Feedback: (28)

I dont see my last post here so I guess we cant say anything negative about Chinese engines on RCU!?[]
Old 02-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Whistling Death

Looks like you covered it all in post #63.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:48 PM
hsukaria

I like cheap engines!!!! What is the cheapest gasser out there? Don't give that line about value or whatever. I want cheap!!!!! If it breaks, toss it and get another one. I don't have the patience to chase after spare parts, they are always outrageously overpriced anyway. You can go and get a new one.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:22 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't worry about the price of spare parts for there are no spare parts available for the cheep engines anyway.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Don't worry about the price of spare parts for there are no spare parts available for the cheep engines anyway.
So, since parts are readily available for DLE engines, we can consider them to be other than cheap engines.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:08 PM
retiredmike

This looks like a challege and reply code book. Do you have names of companies to go with the initials? Which ones are good?? Are these just electric or are they gas and turbine as well???

Thanks
Old 02-08-2011, 06:39 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh so true. I know that you know and you know that I know... The big difference is that DLE improved upon the performance of the one IT was copied from. To date, all of the others have been sub par,
Old 02-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

Oh so true. I know that you know and you know that I know... The big difference is that DLE improved upon the performance of the one IT was copied from. To date, all of the others have been sub par,
That will ruffle some fan boy feathers.

retiredmike, the engines we are talking about are only the gas burning engines. As to what the initials of these companies mean, God only knows what some of the mean.
Maybe that is the next evolution of this thread is to also try to fugure out what the initials stand for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.