Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

twin headers - single canaster

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 03:55 PM
bjor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twin headers - single canaster

Hi. I'm in the middle of building an RC Pilot 106" Katana. I'm using a DA 100 with headers and MTW canisters. The canaster tunnel is quite narrow and it's a real struggle to fit the two canasters into the tunnel. Even if I can shoehorn them in, I'm worried about the heat and lack of airflow. I could get 2 x smaller diameter canasters of around 50mm, but my other thought is to use a larger single canaster and have the two headers leading into it - much like extractors in a car. The inlet pipe would still need to be 25ml (1 ") - but I would probably need a larger exit pipe. Does anybody know if this has been done or if this will work.
Thanks for the replys.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:02 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: twin headers - single canaster

The canister inlet pipe volume would have to be pretty close to the equivalent of both exhaust header exit diameters. Otherwise you run into flow restriction/conflict and bak pressure at a very bad location. Your idea can work but pay close attention to exhaust gas volumes and restrictions that would not be present using two cans.

Your question is interesting being the second one of the same type I've seen in two days.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:19 PM
Tony Hallo

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Here's a D&B 5.1 connected into a JMB canister from a ZDZ 80 super. Worked greated until the pilot screwed up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57231.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	1617628   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26463.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1617629  
Old 05-31-2011, 06:06 PM
bjor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replys. Tony - your the man, thats exactly what I'm after. i cannot tell from the photo's, but did you have to make any adjustments to the canaster - or change the diameter of the exhaust out flow?
Old 06-01-2011, 02:19 AM
Tony Hallo

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

The canister was previously mounted in the plane with a ZDZ80 super, i just plumbed the 5.1 to it, didn't move it. The JMB canister recommended for the 80 Super is free flowing, I have an 80RV and the canister has smaller inlet and outlet, the super canister was destroyed in the crash so I can't measure it. If memnory sevres me correctly the cylinder tubes are 28 mm, the collector tube is30 mm matching the can inlet. This worked well for me, I have read that others have had trouble but have no details exactly what the problems were, maybe others can chime in?
Old 06-01-2011, 12:34 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is my attempt to get a two-in-one. Did not bother to collect in a larger diameter. Pipes are 28mm beginning to end. Muffler is TD115K by MTW. Intention is to have a quiet, smooth running engine. Some power loss is acceptable.
Not tested or flown yet, but I am confident it will work.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14182.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	1617924