Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

quadra 65 or 75?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 04:50 AM
zipnz1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quadra 65 or 75?

I have what i believe is a quadra 75 engine that i picked up second hand and i was wondering if anybody knows if there is a way to tell a 65 from a 75 without disassembling the engine? There is what appeares to be a serial number scribed on the case if that helps.

mike
Old 06-04-2011, 07:38 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: quadra 65 or 75?

The 65 was pretty rare and was made a long time ago....I THINK all the 65s were made using the chainsaw crankcase..I still have one around here someplace, maybe the cylinder has a casting number on it...Will look...
Old 06-04-2011, 12:55 PM
STUKA BARRY

I believe the 65's were magneto with spring starters and the 75's were electronic ignition. The 65's are heavy and great if you need nose weight, but the 75's are more piowerful.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: STUKA BARRY

I believe the 65's were magneto with spring starters and the 75's were electronic ignition. The 65's are heavy and great if you need nose weight, but the 75's are more piowerful.
Most of the 75s were magneto ignition also. Most of the 75s I have seen (I own two of them) have the purpose built crankcase. These have a round shape and terminate in a flat plate mounting bracket at the back. Many / most will have a spring starter and will also have a compression release on top of the cylinder. Great engines that will last forever, have good power but they do shake a bit. Excellent warbird engines even today. An engine you can always depend on. There are few exhaust options for these old engines but the Bennett exhaust diverters (some call them mufflers) are still available but they have a bark! These engines seem happy with 24-10 props or something similar.

The few 65s I have seen all had the cut away, saw crankcase and looked to be heavier than the 75 but I'm not sure about the weight though.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:37 PM
zipnz1
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks for the help guys, From your discriptions it sounds like a Q75. My engine has a round crankcase with a backplate attached, spring starter and magneto ignition. The engine power apeares to be a little soft compared to some modern gas engines of this size but it starts everytime on the first flip and has a rather smooth idle compared to higher power engines. I have a custom muffler that i tig welded that works well and I am getting around 7800 rpm on a 22-10 prop currently and think i might try a 24-10 by your suggestions.

mike