Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Gas Kill switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 12:06 AM
ameyam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Kill switch

Will this switch from Tower make a good switch for gas engines- DLE20 & 30? Also, how do I connect to the DLE's ignition- the connector is different

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJ776&P=ML

Ameyam
Old 06-09-2011, 02:42 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Gas Kill switch

It will work but the micro switch requires activation by a servo push rod/
Old 06-09-2011, 03:09 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The connectors are different because it is intended for use with a magneto and coil ignition. It is a normally open switch that closes to ground the coil.

No, don't use it on an electronic ignition.

Any regular reciever switch with a charge jack would work great for the AMA required "on the outside of the aircraft" switch when working with electronic ignitions.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:00 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: kmeyers

Any regular reciever switch with a charge jack would work great for the AMA required ''on the outside of the aircraft'' switch when working with electronic ignitions.

I am unable to find this requirement...
can you provide a link to it?

Thank you
Old 06-09-2011, 05:20 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Its a magneto switch.

Like KMeyers said, get a JR heavy duty charge switch, or get one of these http://www.planeaddicts.com/store/ag...ics&user4=Kill Switches&xm=on
Old 06-09-2011, 05:27 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That requirement is not one published by the AMA, an error often made. It's one that belongs to the IMAA. That's the problem with the internet, one person says it and a thousand take it as gospel instead of reading the regs themselves.

The only "formal" regs covering kill switches, which are IMAA in origin, require there be two means of killing the engine. One can be and is generally considered to be an idle cut off, or more clearly, using the throttle trim to close off the air supply to the engine by closing the throttle plate inside the carb. The second is the basic "on-off" ignition switch mounted on the outside of the fuselage. For a magneto engine the on-off switch doeast work in the same manner so often a toggle switch is used to break the ground path of the magneto.

Anybody that states there are rules to the contrary is f.o.s. and needs to read the regulations for themselves/ It's most recent explanation and publication was published in the giant scale safety section of the IMAA magazine in an article written by Charlie Spencer. This is also where Charlie explains in detail the workings of the new AMA weight limits and requirements. For those that don't know, Charlie is an AMA giant scale inspector and the original owner of Modaire Industries, a company that developed absolutely beautiful giant warbirds designed with the G-62 as the intended power plant. One or two depended on the plane. Aero Commander, F-82, and Tigercat twins, P-51 single. The company is now owned by Jim Osterhuise. with a new company name.

Perform your own due diligence and verify.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:01 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Supper Dupper el-cheapo Futaba 6EX has a "kill" button that shuts the carb air off....thus killing engine. Capt,n
Old 06-09-2011, 06:07 AM
exeter_acres

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

That requirement is not one published by the AMA, an error often made. It's one that belongs to the IMAA. That's the problem with the internet, one person says it and a thousand take it as gospel instead of reading the regs themselves.

Thanks, I am very aware of this... but since someone posted it... I'm always curious their source...
Old 06-09-2011, 06:12 AM
BarracudaHockey

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

My Supper Dupper el-cheapo Futaba 6EX has a ''kill'' button that shuts the carb air off....thus killing engine. Capt,n[img][/img]
I hope thats not your only means of killing the engine.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:25 AM
exeter_acres

I use a HD switch on the outside of the airframe....

and then I use an optical kill on all my gas planes..

Have used both Electro Dynamics and Smart Fly and they work fine.... there are other fine products, but those are the ones I use.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:55 AM
Tired Old Man

Exerter,

I knew you were aware but quite often posts in various froums are taken as gospel, which was indicated by the OP questions. From there the situation grows exponentially until some club or another fails to research the truth and passes a new rule that all gas engines have an optical kill switch because it's an AMA requirement, which we know is not true. From there people spend more money, add complexity, add another known failure point, or just leave the club for new pastures.

Firms selling such products do nothing to better inform potential buyers, instead taking advantage of the mis-information to generate greater sales volume and company profitability.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:58 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Ameyam, Use one of these.
http://smart-fly.com/Products/Ignition/ignition.htm

And always follow the DLE instructions. Here's a page from one of their engine manuals. Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81917.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	1621104  
Old 06-09-2011, 07:07 AM
exeter_acres

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

Exerter,

I knew you were aware but quite often posts in various froums are taken as gospel, which was indicated by the OP questions. From there the situation grows exponentially until some club or another fails to research the truth and passes a new rule that all gas engines have an optical kill switch because it's an AMA requirement, which we know is not true. From there people spend more money, add complexity, add another known failure point, or just leave the club for new pastures.

Firms selling such products do nothing to better inform potential buyers, instead taking advantage of the mis-information to generate greater sales volume and company profitability.
I hear ya...

At an old club, it came up that pilots were told they needed to have a spinner to fly,,, as it was an AMA "rule"
when asked where that rule was.... loe and behold... there is no general AMA rule... (one of the SIG's may have one...) just someone had seen it somewhere.....
Old 06-09-2011, 07:09 AM
jedijody

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: DAN REISS

And always follow the DLE instructions. Here's a page from one of their engine manuals. Dan

More misinformation!

That's NOTpart of any DLE instructions, it's Hbbico drivel.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:33 AM
bigpunisher365

I just nose the plane into the ground until the propeller stops spinning. Works everytime!!!!
Old 06-09-2011, 07:46 AM
abacro

Hey Tired old Man, here is the actual AMA requirement for ALL ignition equipped engines.

All engines must be able to be shut off from the transmitter by either a servo operated kill switch or by closing the carburetor.All aircraft with ignition engines must have a manual emergency ignition kill switch visibly mounted on the exterior of the aircraft.

This is a direct quote from the AMA rules on giant aircraft, under the general rules regulation.I'm not arguing with anyone here,just pointing out that the AMA does have a real rule set up for ignition engines.

Good Flying, Art
Old 06-09-2011, 08:09 AM
exeter_acres

that is an IMAA rule and not a general AMA rule...... AFAIK.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:32 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey
the engine

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

My Supper Dupper el-cheapo Futaba 6EX has a ''kill'' button that shuts the carb air off....thus killing engine. Capt,n[img][/img]
I hope thats not your only means of killing the engine.
The Choke, the Ignition switch, and my big hammer willkill the enginetoo!
Old 06-09-2011, 08:44 AM
abacro

Yes Exeter,that is in the AMA rules!
Old 06-09-2011, 08:49 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

It looks like a DLE manual.
http://manuals.hobbico.com/dle/dleg0030-0031-manual.pdf

I'll attach an image of RCXEL's instructions to help clear up the confusion.
Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45081.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	1621149  
Old 06-09-2011, 09:08 AM
John Raymond

ORIGINAL: ameyam

Will this switch from Tower make a good switch for gas engines- DLE20 & 30? Also, how do I connect to the DLE's ignition- the connector is different

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJ776&P=ML

Ameyam
In answer to your question the DLE 20/30 require

A 4.8 volt ignition battery connected to ignition with a switch in between, if you want to kill the engine from your transmitter using trim to shutoff, this meets both the switch and transmitter requirement, however it may not shut off your engine in the event of an signal loss therefore you may opt to add an optical kill switch (recommended) that will allow you to shut off the engine at any time from your transmitter or loss of signal.

or

I now have on three planes (2 30CC and 1 50cc) using a battery elimination circuit that is ran from receiver to ignition with a 5v regulator. I use the gear switch to activate. The 30CCs are both running off 7100 Spektrum rxs and the 50CC is running off an power expander and have not had a problem yet, however I would not recommend this for other than 2.4. this is a lot easier to install than battery, switch and optical shutoff and is considerably less $$$. I was wary of these and tested it on an older plane to make sure it was reliable before starting to change over to my other planes, they are made by Wike RC and 42% Products.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:08 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: abacro

Please show me a link to that rule or tell me where it is listed in the AMA rules. I couldn't find it anywhere?
Old 06-09-2011, 09:10 AM
BarracudaHockey

ORIGINAL: abacro

Where?

In what context? Does it apply to all airplanes with a gas engine?

Please provide the document number.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:12 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

that is an IMAA rule and not a general AMA rule...... AFAIK.
AFAIK, you are correct exeter. IMAA is a special interest group (SIG) and they have their own rules for their members. These are usually suggested but not required rules for AMA members.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:17 AM
Tired Old Man

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.