Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Went cheap. bought a DLE 20 and got burnt!!! UPDATE!

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Went cheap. bought a DLE 20 and got burnt!!! UPDATE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 12:10 AM
willig10

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Went cheap. bought a DLE 20 and got burnt!!! UPDATE!

T.O.M.:
I hear what your saying. But the reality of it is nothing is going to change. We can stand here and preach, buy US all day long but if we did that, we would be hypocrits all day long as well.

The computer you type on has chips made where? Was made where? The car you drive, I bet something was made other than the good ole USA. Heck the airplane you fly where did the Balsa come from? Not the US and that is for sure.

What I am saying is as much as I and others like to support our fellow countrymen, capitilism has the upper hand. So if my fellow countrymen want to manufacture an engine and sell it at a higher price, so be it. Do I as a modeler have to buy that engine? Nope.

It is not about us vs them. In all honesty had some of the other countries not produced hobby related items, the hobby would have priced itself right out of the market. So then it really would be an elitest hobby.

You asked if someone was willing to take a pay cut earlier or skip a meal. To answer that question. YES I would. Would it help? Nope. It is nice to want to live in a Utopian world where all is ribbons and bows. But it just does not exist.

Bottom line is most people are gonna want the best they can get for least they can spend. If that means putting the corner store out of business because Walmart moved in, well I guess Sam Walton learned how to provide a service and obviously people know where to shop.

When I purchase my RC related items, I tend to do a lot of research. Then when I am ready to pull the trigger on what I have decided on, I look first at the used market. If it is not available there then I start looking at the new markets and where it can be bought for as little as possible out of my back pocket. It's just common sense.

All that said there are exceptions to everything I just said. Here is an example. When I bought my Taylorcraft, I knew I wanted more than a 20cc engine. Reading the posts here on that plane I really wanted a 26-30cc engine. The verdict was still out on the DLE and at that time it was still a side carb engine. I knew that Ralph Cunningham worked wonders on the Zenoah engines and a guy at my field had one that was mint. I went after that engine and acquired it for my T-craft. It was a wise choice.

All I am saying is as an American I am glad that I have a "choice" to buy an engine made in the USA or one made elsewhere. However when I do buy, my made elsewhere engine. I purchase it at my local hobby shop. So even though I bought a brand x engine I am still supporting my fellow American and provided him with a little change in his pocket so he can pay his bills and his employees. I spent 10 dollars extra + tax so I did not have to wait for it to ship.

I guess I am a little perterbed about all of this because most of the guys I know who buy brand x stuff acquire it mostly through American owned companies. SO we as consumers do support our LHS, Tower, DA and others. Yes there those who go to Hobbyking etc. But if a poll were to be taken I would venture a guess that the majority of equipment were bought and paid for right here in the USA.

Glenn Williams
Old 06-18-2011, 04:33 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man
...those that put their own pockets over the betterment of their country and countrymen.
This can apply to peoples' actions that have much more dire consequences in the long term than what engine they choose to put in their toy airplane. If only those actions could be limited to just toy airplane engine choices...
Old 06-18-2011, 05:34 AM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems a lot of people put words and names where there were none before. Dense as they are they cannot recognize the figuartive and so are forced to select a particular brand to focus on.

Yes, I know the ire is directed at me, but is that because I've called out all of those that put their own pockets over the betterment of their country and countrymen. Is it personal shame that forces people to blame the people that force you to see what you do?

Of all the Chinese engine manufacturers, only one, one single solitary one, makes a good engine. We know that to be DLE. But there have been and will be complaints companies like DA, 3w, BME, ZDZ, and MVVS don't make a superior engine that sells for as little as DLE or the other even cheaper Chinese engines. You folks still don;t get it. You want superior quality but are unwilling to pay for it. When the cheap one breaks you act like you got stiffed when you paid less but didn't get all you deserved. Worse, half of you buy your DLE from Tower for a few dollars less and when it breaks or doesn't do what you think it should you ask people like Jody at Valley View what to do or to fix it for you under ''warranty''. Any of you people realize that DLE warranty labor is not paid to the reparing dealer? You're all asking Jody, and others like him, to work for free. It really is sickening. But you know what, he still does a lot of it for you because he is a lot kinder that I could ever be. Then some of you get upset because he doesn't treat you all warm and fuzzy on the phone when you question him about your Tower engines. Not one Chinese engine manufacturer pays their dealers for their labor performing that ''free'' service. Yep, it's free alright, but the dealer essentially gets to pay you to work on your crap.

You know what? I fly them all too but there's a level I won't stoop to, and that's demanding that others give what you yourselves are unwilling to. You want American and European manufacturers to cut the wages of their employees, reduce their profit margins to a level they would no longer be able to support their families, so you can have a cheaper toy. Are any of you willing to take a wage cut or eliminate a meal or two, close out a savings account, etc, so that others can have something cheaper? It doesn't have to be a hobby product, it might just be something that used to be bought at that corner store the new WalMart or Sam's Club just put out of business. When that happened all the people with families that worked at the corner store became unemployed.

It might be a good time for people to stop saying I despise DLE, because they know that is not so. I despise what our buying habits, that quest for the cheapest item we can find, that sense of hey, screw him, as long as I get what I want, has done, and continues to do to our country. I despise those that refuse to face the reality of what they do, and the results still to come from those actions.
[sm=thumbup.gif] [sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 06-18-2011, 06:02 AM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to laugh. Antique buys a bunch of DLE's direct from a chinese distributor and has Zero problems. Jody gives free advice and gets nothing? T.O.M. stands up for the quality manufactures, not all big names and not all proven, some just pretty.

So Antique is cutting out Jody and all other US distributors. A true a Patriot! It's ok for Ralph and his friends to be cheap, right t.o.m.?[:'(]

If Jody didn't post on RCU and FG no one would have ever heard of Valley View. His posts make VV money thru name familiarity, patriotizm and sympathy.

T.O.M. is a ******* know it all that's reluctant share or can't do to UAV contracts.[&:]

BTW, we should all get government contracts. But then who will pay for the government to operate? Weapon sales to alllies of today don't, maybe enemies of tomorrow? Giving back a portion of lucrative government contracts (welfare for the rich) isn't paying income tax! Did I say that?

Go into any department store marketed at the middle class and try to buy american. I am disgusted at what corporate greed has done to our country. Corporations that cry they need tax relief.[:@]

Old 06-18-2011, 06:37 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Cutting oput VV ? Sorry you don't like my business practices...Sounds like Capitalism to me, what do you call it ? I would, and have, bought Zenoahs for 24 years. Still do...Horizon cut me off because they sell only to store front hobby shops..Who is cutting who off ??
To continue in business the engines had to come from somewhere...I guess I could be like Brillelli and buy Taiwan engines, but it's easier to buy engines already converted and ready to install...
Small businessmen have no other alternative to compete with larger companies who can get factory direct engines...
No longer matters to me, I can live the rest of my life without doing any more conversions, or competing (?) with all the other sellers...
My business nowadays is taking care of 25 years worth of loyal customers...The rest of you whiners can get bent...[:@]
Old 06-18-2011, 06:47 AM
kurt2022
My Feedback: (18)

PlaneKrazee,
I agree with you on corporate greed but think you must also factor in that almost 50% of the public receives some form of government assistance and this is on the rise! As a nation we face declining revenue and expanding expenditures on freebies, which is a recipe for disaster! I would like to remain positive about America's future but then again I would have to ignore the OBVIOUS!!! Head buried in the sand(sheeple) is just not me!
Old 06-18-2011, 07:08 AM
PlaneKrazee

Ralph,

Nice to see you are awake. Apparently you were dong what you thought was best for you and country. And appearently all DLE engines are the same and I'm sure Hobby Services @ Tower will warranty anything VV will. I'm sick of all the bull that gets spread around here. A poster in this thread said it best. Paraphrased: Does it matter where the engine comes from if it's mounted to an imported ARF?

Many people in this hobby are gluttons, and cheap imported arf's and engines fuel their gluttony in this land of capitolism and excess.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:02 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: PlaneKrazee

I have to laugh. Antique buys a bunch of DLE's direct from a chinese distributor and has Zero problems. Jody gives free advice and gets nothing? T.O.M. stands up for the quality manufactures, not all big names and not all proven, some just pretty.

So Antique is cutting out Jody and all other US distributors. A true a Patriot! It's ok for Ralph and his friends to be cheap, right t.o.m.?[:'(]

If Jody didn't post on RCU and FG no one would have ever heard of Valley View. His posts make VV money thru name familiarity, patriotizm and sympathy.

T.O.M. is a ******* know it all that's reluctant share or can't do to UAV contracts.[&:]

BTW, we should all get government contracts. But then who will pay for the government to operate? Weapon sales to alllies of today don't, maybe enemies of tomorrow? Giving back a portion of lucrative government contracts (welfare for the rich) isn't paying income tax! Did I say that?

Go into any department store marketed at the middle class and try to buy american. I am disgusted at what corporate greed has done to our country. Corporations that cry they need tax relief.[:@]

It is ironic that a certain individual makes his living receiving government funds. Then complains about our economy. Real jobs that generate wealth and pay the bills are shrinking, and this is the reason why this country is headed south. I may have a couple of DLE engines, but you know what, I work in the private sector, for a manufacturer that adds value to raw materials. Companies like mine are the ones paying the bills. All others are along for the ride.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:59 AM
PlaneKrazee

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

It is ironic that a certain individual makes his living receiving government funds. Then complains about our economy. Real jobs that generate wealth and pay the bills are shrinking, and this is the reason why this country is headed south. I may have a couple of DLE engines, but you know what, I work in the private sector, for a manufacturer that adds value to raw materials. Companies like mine are the ones paying the bills. All others are along for the ride.
How about a company that sells chinese copies of APC props or Deans connectors for a dollar less and makes a larger margin on those parts that the original US designed and manufactured parts.[:'(]

I too work in the private sector. Many of my customers work or have worked for the military or companies directly funded with taxpayer dollars. Many local economies would collapse if the government wasn't pumping funds in defense contracts. We need private sector manufacturing like we had before and after WWII to keep this country humming. Most private factories have closed in my area and relocated overseas along with the tooling. Try getting that back when you need it. Ain't gonna happen! And skilled labor to run the machines, forget it. Everyone in the US thinks they deserve a desk job making $$$ even though many have never worked a day in their life. The only thing they are qualified to do is ask, would you like fries with that?
Old 06-18-2011, 09:01 AM
tony0707

HI
FROM what i have read DLE's power to weight ratio is one of the best to come down the road in a long time
that being said : the formula for ALL PERFORMANCE is a -POWER TO WEIGHT RATIO be it race cars -race boats or RC aircraft, weight always matters to the performance minded, no mater what size aircraft you choose to fly
in the world of gas RC planes this engines design at a cheeper price-, is a blessing to those interested in high performance and a very big reason for many people interested in the engine- as long as they stay together -it has blown the weed wacker heavier engine out of the water many for sale right here that were the only gas engines available for many years some how this style engine is truely the future of gas RC engines and thats a very good thing for all in the hobby that will be running gas in the future
BEST REGARDS TONY
Old 06-18-2011, 09:21 AM
vertical grimmace

ORIGINAL: tony0707

HI
FROM what i have read DLE's power to weight ratio is one of the best to come down the road in a long time
that being said : the formula for ALL PERFORMANCE is a -POWER TO WEIGHT RATIO be it race cars -race boats or RC aircraft, weight always matters to the performance minded, no mater what size aircraft you choose to fly
in the world of gas RC planes this engines design at a cheeper price-, is a blessing to those interested in high performance and a very big reason for many people interested in the engine- as long as they stay together -it has blown the weed wacker heavier engine out of the water many for sale right here that were the only gas engines available for many years some how this style engine is truely the future of gas RC engines and thats a very good thing for all in the hobby that will be running gas in the future
BEST REGARDS TONY
Yes and the future is gas. Gas has met electric now and glow is getting squeezed completely out. To say there is no market for smaller gas engines is ludicrous, as posted earlier in this thread. The bottom line, DLE is making very good small gas engines now. They are actually one of the only options. Will DA catch up so I can buy American? I doubt it.

Thankfully, my business is too local, and custom to be outsourced in the near future. There will always be a need for some local manufacturing. I work in a custom cabinet and millwork shop. Very high end stuff and the Rich are not willing to wait so we have short lead times. Not something that can happen when outsourced. My company has survived this economy, mainly because we are getting work from all of the other shops that recently went under. We went from 200 employees down to 35 in a year and a half. Very sad for a home grown business. Unfortunately the Government has not done us any favors to keep the doors open. We are just busting the hump to keep it going.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:33 AM
willig10

I have bought from Ralph Cunningham. I have bought from Jedi Jody among others here on RCU. So I am giving my fellow countryman my hard earned money.

That said. To the previous poster about gas engines. Here is my Larger revolver with a DLE 30. Also my MX-S with a DLE-30. These engines are great. Yes they were made in China but they were bought here in the USA.

I work for a company in the US. Maybe some of you have heard about it. G.E. I work in the gas turbine division (jet engines) My background includes 20+ years as an Aircraft maintenance technician. I worked in commercial and corporate aviation. I have held a broom in my hand cleaning and sweeping floors. I have also held a desk when I achieved Director of maintenance status on Corporate aircraft. I am run and taxi qualified in the Lear 31,45 and 60. I am also run and taxi qualified on the Challenger 600,601 and 604 corporate jets. I have accumulated over 700+ hours of complex jet time while conducting customer acceptance flights. What does this have to do with this thread? Nothing except all those achievements were done here in THE USA.

In my aviation careeer and my current G.E. career I have the privelege of being able to travel abroad. I enjoy seeking out the local hobby shops in other countries and get a feel for what the local flavor of engine and airframes they are using. Well pretty much every where I go you see the same equipment. OS, Magnum, Evolution just to name a few for the glow side. On the gas side Zenoah, DLE, Moki etc are pretty popular as well.

Politics aside our hobby is pretty much the same worldwide. aif you take the politics out of it and just enjoy this great hobby at face value it would be so much more pleasant. Don't you agree?

Well I am off my soap box. I am here till next week if all goes as planned then home and I can get some flying in before vacation hopefully. I wish all of my fellow modelers well. I hope someday I can meet some of you in my travels.

Glenn Williams

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41626.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1624732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33293.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1624733  
Old 06-18-2011, 09:53 AM
PlaneKrazee

Glenn,

P&W engines last longer than G.E., cost more too, but another company out sourcing more and more.

You are right. Fly and enjoy.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:25 AM
willig10

Ouch. What a stab. lol. But GE has better service than DLE I mean P&W. LMAO.

Glenn Williams
Attached Images    
Old 06-18-2011, 11:02 AM
PlaneKrazee

All in good humor. Speaking of which, it's that time of year to enjoy your favorite frozen treat.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:07 AM
willig10

True, I am ready for a nice home made meal and some adult beverages. I am so ready to get back home. Once I am back, I will be home about a week or 2, Then we are going on vacation to Edisto Island, South Carolina. So looking forward to some much needed R&R. Europe is nice and all, but I am missing my family and my flying buddies.

Glenn
Old 06-18-2011, 01:34 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We need private sector manufacturing like we had before and after WWII to keep this country humming. Most private factories have closed in my area and relocated overseas along with the tooling. Try getting that back when you need it. Ain't gonna happen! And skilled labor to run the machines, forget it. Everyone in the US thinks they deserve a desk job making $$$ even though many have never worked a day in their life. The only thing they are qualified to do is ask, would you like fries with that?

Somebody gets it!
Old 06-18-2011, 01:55 PM
willig10

And somebody doesn't.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:09 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

WOW.....this thread sure is messed up......

It sure is......let's review it a bit shall we........

ORIGINAL: bgw45

I see your point, but the flip is that because of the way you think and view things you are limited to where you are and can afford.
No you don't. Allowing others to enjoy their hobby is a reasonable thing to do. Implying that those that can't afford a given ''anything'' are causing the issue is underneath your knowledge base. The amount of understanding and knowledge you posses is only surpassed by your insensitivity to others.

I have to laugh........................

So Antique is cutting out Jody and all other US distributors. A true Patriot! ...............................

T.O.M. is a ******* know it all that's reluctant {to} share or can't, due to UAV contracts.[&:]

But, IF you were in such know-it-all shoes, where does such a person go after achieving such a lofty status? You might also spew venom and smoke up less knowledgable RC'ers pipes.

Patrick (aka T.O.M.) has some great know how about gas engines, but the bigger percentage
of condescending and beligerent postings greatly diminishes that knowledge.

ORIGINAL: Antique

Cutting oput VV ? Sorry you don't like my business practices...Sounds like Capitalism to me, what do you call it ? .............
My business nowadays is taking care of 25 years worth of loyal customers...The rest of you whiners can get bent...[:@]

It is ironic that a certain individual makes his living receiving government funds. Then complains about our economy. ................
.................Companies like mine are the ones paying the bills. All others are along for the ride.

Then there's catflyer posting about "Petebilt Semi truck with a Caterpillar motor"
and Jezmo "Some years back, I bought a new GM performance car (don't want to advert for them so no names) and said car came from the factory with synthetic oil in it."

{which btw is the Chevy Corvette.}

Used to be, that RCU had competent moderators on staff that would have removed/deleted off topic content, and admonished users to stay on topic with relevant content. RCU Forum rules only seem to apply to a few.

Part of the RCU Forum Rules states;
RCUniverse.com is focused on R/C. Accordingly, topics must remain R/C related.
We do not permit political, social, religious, or other off-topic discussions. There are many places online to express your opinions on issues outside of RC so "RC" Universe is designed to be a place to talk just about RC.

Anybody notice how many such violations this thread has had (so far)?

Poor kurt2022 posted about his DLE20cc gas engine failure, and 95% of the replies have had nothing to do with his stated issue. Anybody even remember his original post?

ORIGINAL: Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: osxpro

Well, you bought the cheapest POS from Red China you could find. What else did you expect?
Wow thread like these bring the less intelligent out of the woodwork don't they?

ORIGINAL: jedijody

Jee-whiz, what was this thread about anyway? Sort of entertaining watching so many type the equivilent of ''I don't know what I'm talking about but I'll say it anyway''.
Amen to jedijody & osxpro!!!

This thread needs cleaned up, then locked down!
Take what ya got, and get out and fly!!!
Old 06-18-2011, 04:28 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Who died and made you KING?
Old 06-18-2011, 05:20 PM
vertical grimmace

My original point was that the premise of the thread was inaccurate. The OP had no other choice but to go cheap, as DLE is the only engine in this class. I would not consider that going cheap. Just buying what was available.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:48 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

My original point was that the premise of the thread was inaccurate. The OP had no other choice but to go cheap, as DLE is the only engine in this class. I would not consider that going cheap. Just buying what was available.
Nope - could have and will go Evolution 26cc.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:51 PM
kurt2022
My Feedback: (18)

I have enjoyed this thread and have been more than pleased that the "PC POLICE" have not altered it in any way, shape or form. Freedom of speech is what its ALL about! I say POLITICALLY CORRECT fixer if you don't like this thread, vote with your FEET and move on to some other thread that floats your boat! Freedom's just another word for nothin left to loose, nothin ain't nothin, if it ain't free!
Old 06-18-2011, 06:59 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

P&W engines last longer than G.E.,
Maybe so...but when it came to the TF-30 in the F-14, the conventional wisdom was that if it says Pratt & Whitney, it better say Martin-Baker
Old 06-18-2011, 07:35 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NOT A REPLY...JUST A THOUGHT!

I ams sure this debate could go on forever....Right? Also I am sure ther will be a complete new engine built that will surpass anything out there now. That is the way it works. That is a good thing for us. Better....but you may need to put off that purchase ....and wait for the better engine. Capt,n

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.