Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Parts that don't pass muster?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 07:11 AM
WRK
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parts that don't pass muster?

Since some of the big name engine manufacturers like DA sell a lot (majority?) of their engines to the government for drones etc, and these are "blue printed" engines, are we getting the engines assembled with the parts that may not have meet blue print specifications?

Not saying this is true just asking from those who would know.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:53 AM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Parts that don't pass muster?

I don't think so, maybe the other way around.
Long ago A&M built a run of 100cc singles for the government. They had life spans measured in single digit hours.
For years they showed up around AZ in govt surplus auctions, some in poor shape and some almost new.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:43 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Makes one wonder though.

Karol
Old 06-20-2011, 11:23 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't wonder. The engines made for the government, DA, 3w, whatever, are made the same as ours. or rather, ours set the standards the government gets. There's no quality difference, which is why I've been harping for so long about the lack of of quality of most of the Chinese engines.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:23 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The factory I worked in and developed my statistical skills had two "closed QA" areas. One for medical X-ray products, and another one for Army stuff.
These areas were off limits for my process capability study activities, though I hung around a lot there to learn.
I am not too sure how the firm had any benefit of the lessons learned in those departments, since they appeared not to be run by the firm at all!!!!!!!!!
Inspectors in control were shielded and had no contact with our regular quality inspectors. Other company products were not similar to the products as produced in the confined areas.
The same thing I experienced in my apprentice time in a shipyard where I stayed at the fuel injection department quite a while. They also had a lot of government jobs. However, in this department spin-off was evident, because the highly skilled workers also worked on citizen projects.
If DA or whatever company works for the government, the latter very likely has it's own personnel installed, to manage quality standards and quality control. Spin-off most likely will hardly affect the regular production runs because quality standards may differ a lot, or other quality standard are installed already.
My $0.02
Old 06-20-2011, 03:31 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

DCAS... "Defense Contract Audit Service".
Old 06-20-2011, 06:30 PM
Tired Old Man

Unless someone sets a different standard from what either of the two previously mentioned companies normally provide, the end products meet the same standards the average user sees. There are certainly some end users that likely provide their own designs and specifications for a specific product but both DA and 3w more often than not provide "off the shelf' products to quite a few of their volume customers. There is no "B" grade products provided to the RC customers. All their stuff is of high quality.

You get what you paid for, each and every time.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:37 PM
the Wasp

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

so then, why doesn't the government simply buy BME, I never see any complaints on them LOL
Old 06-20-2011, 07:57 PM
Tired Old Man

I suspect I know the answer, and I doubt it has anything at all to do with quality.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:23 PM
the Wasp

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

my friend has a BME 105, it's like 7 years old now, and what a nice Engine, it starts great and every time, it runs great, smooth too, and surely it's not finicky, there may be more powerful Engines and higher quality Engines too, but there is no complaints about this one

Jim
Old 06-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Tired Old Man

Make no mistakes here, BME makes damn fine engines. I'm very fond of my 115/116.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:28 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

I have a 3W 157 with a rear output shaft, made for a UAV alternator....Looks just like the normal 3Ws..
Old 06-20-2011, 09:28 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

The world of government equipment is a very complex one. In my experience the govenment prefers to buy off the shelf products. With that being said, the products and it's vendor must be " qualified ". What this means is that the product itself must go through many hours of test with specifications set by the govenment. Many times at the vendors cost. This alone keeps lots of companies from getting contracts with the govenment. The company may need to enter contract stating that the product will be made available for X amout of years and spare parts/service for X more. The really funny thing is contract lingo. Say DA makes a bid on a contract and in doing so illistrates a DA developed tech but does not list that tech as propritory. The Gov can share that tech with 3W in order to get a competitive bid from them. Lots of time devoted to writing a bid obviously. It's pretty easy to see why the Gov pays so much for equipment, they are expensive to do business with.