Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

OS GT33 33cc gasser

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Always flying
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS GT33 33cc gasser

I caved and found my self testing the OS 33GT on a ks pipe. All i can say is wow! Number's are awesome,with instant transition right through the curve...i ran the motor on stock muffler tuned for optimum Rpm,Transition and idle.With same prop now,Using area 51 wrap around header and heater hose to pipe cutting increments of an inch till i had what i think is a blow your mind combo!!!! low vibrations,sound is nice not obnoxious,and sick power!

-Stock muffler 19x8 7100rpm

-KS 1025-5 pipe Area 51 header from flange to Baffle 26-3/4"
-Falcon wood prop 19x8 8200rpm

I've since tweaked the high end (richer) to bring the RPM to 7900rpm with all the same benefits as mentioned above.I'll leave it like that till i put in a plane and let it see the sky.Now all i need to do is build my EG aircraft MxS-R for it

Old 02-07-2013, 07:23 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

ORIGINAL: rstekeur

I asked the same thing and was told to wrap a few wraps of tape so it's snug enough. Thats what I did, and it's been fine. If you find any bushings, please post a link.
I personally wouldn't use tape.

I had mine made from chromoly (sp?) by a guy with a machine shop.

You can contact him directly if you like.... [email protected] ask him how much to make the same prop adapter he made me (andy griffith)
Old 02-07-2013, 08:29 AM
coronabob
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: WindGap

Coronabob, many guys are putting dle 55 into that YAK. Does the OS GT33 have enough juice to fly 3d or just sport? Also, did you have to add nose weight with this engine?
My Yak flies very well with the GT33. The GP Yak balanced nearly perfect with no added weight. Inverted hands off it climbed slightly. I added a Dave Brown alum spinner and now it flies inverted hands off.

The power is just right. It climbs out of a hover and with more break in time I believe it will accelerate out of a hover. I might be mean to all my new engines but I bolt them on and go fly. I go a little easier on a new engine on the first flight. After that I just let it rip granted that I do not fly WOT more than a minute at any one time. Overpowered planes do not need it as is the case with my GT33 powered Yak.

BTW, I use masking tape on the prop.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:54 AM
john josey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The metal skid from a hirobo sceadu is the exact size for a prop adaptor.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:10 PM
Ken Cz

ORIGINAL: john josey

The metal skid from a hirobo sceadu is the exact size for a prop adaptor.
Thanks for the info - unfortunately I am not a Heli guy and don't have access to Hirobo parts......

Post above is for a custom machine version and thats sounds expensive.
Seem to me somebody used to sell tehm on a website as an alternative to the plastic jobs that come with APC props.

Thanks to all!
Old 02-07-2013, 12:39 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Not sure what he would charge you but an email to ask is free
Old 02-13-2013, 01:17 PM
p38mike
My Feedback: (3)

I got a spacer at my local Ace hardware store. Just had to sand it down so it was flush with the prop (Xoar 19x10). I have the engine in an ESM 71" FW-190 and I love it! As a matter of fact I originally bought a DLE-30 but sent it back NIB and bought the GT-33. I have always bought O.S. glow engines and they looked and performed great. The only issue I've had with the 33 is the stock muffler broke but they are sending me a new one. I just ordered another 33 for my new ESM 71†A1 Skyraider. BTW... you should use non-ethanol gas if you can get it (marinas sell it). I am running Redline synthetic at 40:1. It is also a good idea to break all gas engines in with a good non-synthetic oil like Lawnboy ashless at 25:1 or 30:1 – also available at your local Ace hardware. The engine runs great with the included O.S. ignition module on a plain old NimH 6V battery. I also have two DA 50s but would probably go with an O.S. 60cc for my next 50cc size airplane. That must be a beast of a motor!

Regards,
Mike
Old 02-13-2013, 06:04 PM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

Thanks for the info guys. The OS engine will be my next motor.
On the tape.. All the tape is for is to center the prop on the stud. The bolt holds it tight and in the center when You tighten in down. I can't tell you how many times over the years I have done that without a problem.
Keep the OS chatter coming. Brian Smith
Old 02-13-2013, 07:00 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: Brian Smith

Thanks for the info guys. The OS engine will be my next motor.
On the tape.. All the tape is for is to center the prop on the stud. The bolt holds it tight and in the center when You tight in down. I can't tell you how many times over the years I have done that without a problem.
Keep the OS chatter coming. Brian Smith
Try not to underprop this engine. With small props such as 18x10, 19x8 which are typical props quoted all the time, engine performance is average. Put a load on it and you will see how well it responds. I've not seen anything else even close in the 30 cc class on props like 19x11, 19.5x11.5, 20x10.5 and 20.5x10. I also have a 21x10 on order (all apc of course)
Old 02-14-2013, 05:03 AM
rstekeur

I've been tring to maiden my Waco but the last 2 weekends have been real windy and this coming weekend is going to be bad as well. The OS gt33 starts real easy by hand once you know how, I have a Hellcat with a DLE20 on it and it won't hand start at all.  
Old 02-20-2013, 01:27 PM
seagull extra
My Feedback: (12)

I posted this on it's own thread but I thought I would post this here as well. When comparing my OS 33 to my DL 20 and 50 I noticed that the magnet passes under the hall sensor at about 5 degrees before TDC on the OS and about 25 degrees before TDC on the DL's. I do not think you can just swap ignition modules with these engines as the internal timing must be differant in the modules.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:18 AM
Hone1er

Hi guys, first post here.

I just picked up a OS GT33 for my 78'' EF Extra. Got 3 flights on it so far on the stock muffler and 19x8 xoar. The response is unbelievably good! 

I ordered a ES35G composite pipe and it's on the way to me. I'm going to need a return to center header that drops about the same amount as the stock muffler. I see some people are using a Hatori header, does that have a drop built in or can i request that? 

This is going to be my first tuned pipe setup so any advice would be appreciated. If anyone has a 78'' Extra with the OS on a pipe any pictures of the setup would be very helpful.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:22 AM
Hone1er

Oh yeah, i forgot to mention, ES30G and ES40G have been discontinued and replaced with the ES35G.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:28 AM
ghoffman
My Feedback: (3)

Well, since I have an ES30G and an ES40G, and the only difference is about an inch of length, it will be interesting to see what the ES35G is.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:15 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: ghoffman

Well, since I have an ES30G and an ES40G, and the only difference is about an inch of length, it will be interesting to see what the ES35G is.
The ES 35G has it's baffle at the same location as both the 30G and 40G. The difference is the overall length being exactly in the middle between the 30G and 40G. Ed Skorepa simply wanted to consolidate to one pipe for the 30cc class of engines. Performance will be no different between any of these.

Gary I got your PM. Ed and I email one another periodically so I will ask on your behalf

Honelier.....I bought the last two 40G pipes he had in stock last week. I've got a couple projects for the OS33GT and DLE35RA coming up. For a fact, the OS33GT and ES40G is a marriage worth a very close look for anyone contemplating such a move. I have a Hatori #2301 header on mine (RTC type) with a 4 1/2" extension added. The minimum distance between exhaust port flange and reflection baffle is 27". I turn an APC 20 x 10.5 PN at 7400 rpm. I have a video on Utube of my Aesthesis / OSGT33 / ES40G pipe and I think you can see the header treatment in the video. The noise footprint of the set-up is very small

Old 04-22-2013, 02:40 PM
skillet92

ORIGINAL: rstekeur

I've been tring to maiden my Waco but the last 2 weekends have been real windy and this coming weekend is going to be bad as well. The OS gt33 starts real easy by hand once you know how, I have a Hellcat with a DLE20 on it and it won't hand start at all.
If this is a GP Waco. OH MY!!!! I have that plane with a dle 30 and it is WAY over powered. Good luck on the maiden. I love my Waco. Looks great in the air. I am thinking of putting this engine in an ESM Corsair that at the moment has a g38 in it because this engine seems to love bigger props and I want a 3 blade on the corsair.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:53 PM
Hone1er

ORIGINAL: MTK

Honelier.....I bought the last two 40G pipes he had in stock last week. I've got a couple projects for the OS33GT and DLE35RA coming up. For a fact, the OS33GT and ES40G is a marriage worth a very close look for anyone contemplating such a move. I have a Hatori #2301 header on mine (RTC type) with a 4 1/2" extension added. The minimum distance between exhaust port flange and reflection baffle is 27". I turn an APC 20 x 10.5 PN at 7400 rpm. I have a video on Utube of my Aesthesis / OSGT33 / ES40G pipe and I think you can see the header treatment in the video. The noise footprint of the set-up is very small

Thanks for the info! I'll probably go with a Falcon beechwood prop. A 20X10 should do the job nicely. I'm looking for a little more power out of my setup since my plane is around 13 pounds and i'm looking for good 3D performance with plenty of power. According to thishttp://personal.osi.hu/fuzesisz/strc_eng/index.htm you're just over 24 pounds of thrust. Right now i'm getting around 20 pounds of thrust. I think an extra 4 pounds of thrust would be perfect for the EF Extra.

I'll go with the Hatori header with extension like you did. Where did you get yours from(a link would be AWESOME!)? Thanks for the info on the length that will make my life much easier. You think the length will end up much different if i'm using a 20x10 Falcon and different gas? I was reading on the OS site that the pipe needs to be adjusted when you change props or fuel.

I suppose to be safe i'll start with a length of 29'' and shorten it until i reach max RPMs.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:14 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: Hone1er

Thanks for the info! I'll probably go with a Falcon beechwood prop. A 20X10 should do the job nicely. I'm looking for a little more power out of my setup since my plane is around 13 pounds and i'm looking for good 3D performance with plenty of power. According to thishttp://personal.osi.hu/fuzesisz/strc_eng/index.htm you're just over 24 pounds of thrust. Right now i'm getting around 20 pounds of thrust. I think an extra 4 pounds of thrust would be perfect for the EF Extra.

I'll go with the Hatori header with extension like you did. Where did you get yours from(a link would be AWESOME!)? Thanks for the info on the length that will make my life much easier. You think the length will end up much different if i'm using a 20x10 Falcon and different gas? I was reading on the OS site that the pipe needs to be adjusted when you change props or fuel.

I suppose to be safe i'll start with a length of 29'' and shorten it until i reach max RPMs.

You're welcome!

I "think" the Falcon should work fine. I don't use wood props on the OS because it doesn't require the 4 bolts for installation. APC's are designed for single nut installation and work great on the OS. APC has just introduced several larger props for the YS170-175 supercharged 4 strokes and these work super on the OS GT33. Wood props also tend to be thicker to provide enough stiffness. For 3D work you might be a little better off with less pitch, but it's something you may have to experiment with.

The Hatori RTC header #2301 was purchased from Graves RC. The extension is a section from an aluminum wing tube...but might be from a broom handle, I don't remember which. As far as length to the baffle, I've played with various lengths and there is very little difference anywhere from 27" to 30". Pipe length is considerably less critical in a gasoline/CDI set-up because the CDI timingprovides the spark. Unlike glow 2 strokes, the pipe resonance has a wider window andsimply adds both rpm and torque. BUT,I wouldn't go to any shorter length than 27", straight line.

Silicone turbo hose works fine as coupling material. Holding on is often a PITA. I install 3, 6-32 x1/8" button head screws on the header and pipe stems under the coupler (that's Ed Skorepa's idea) and that holds couplers on much better. Teflon also works fine but will leak over time. The best coupler yet is something I make myself from ceramic fabric and I hold it on with regular plastic tie wraps, but that's a whole 'nother topic

I use Avgas 100LL because it doesn't smell and has practically unlimited shelf life. I have used premium auto gas and got a 300 rpm boost in output (which I don't need in my application). I use and highly recommend 50:1 Bel Ray MC-1 motorcycle racing synthetic oil; but any of the good oils will work great. If you want all out power, use premium autogas. That's about all I've learned running these over the past 4 years on pipes. You're gonna love the OS; it's a hoss and arguably the best engine they ever made; at least on the first page of the leader board....
Old 04-23-2013, 06:30 AM
rstekeur

If this is a GP Waco. OH MY!!!! I have that plane with a dle 30 and it is WAY over powered. Good luck on the maiden. I love my Waco. Looks great in the air. I am thinking of putting this engine in an ESM Corsair that at the moment has a g38 in it because this engine seems to love bigger props and I want a 3 blade on the corsair.
No, it's a Kangke 1/5 Waco. It's a real nice flying plane, but it a bit of work putting it together and taking it apart. The OS33 works great it takes of in about 5 feet. I have had a problem last couple of times I went to the field. The first couple of flights were great, no problems and then when I would start it, it wouldn't stay running at idle. It would quit. It would start right up again, same thing it would quit. anyone get this?
Old 04-23-2013, 09:08 AM
Hone1er

Couldn't find the header but i emailed a few places that sell Hatori headers and asked if they had any. We'll see how it goes.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:57 AM
Hone1er

No luck on the Hatori header. 

Any other suggestions for headers? 
Old 04-24-2013, 12:08 PM
gibatta
My Feedback: (1)

As per understanding; a DLE 30 header will also fit the OS 33 GT, see this link http://www.singahobby.com/?q=node/31792
Old 04-24-2013, 12:17 PM
mschulz531

There is a guy named Craig who makes spacers for the OS GT 33 for $10.

http://customstandoffs.com/

He also makes custom standoffs, as the name of his web site implies.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:29 PM
gibatta
My Feedback: (1)

also a Zenoah 26 header will fit in; http://www.hatori-models.co.jp/HP3/air-e.html
Old 04-24-2013, 12:43 PM
Hone1er

ORIGINAL: gibatta

As per understanding; a DLE 30 header will also fit the OS 33 GT, see this link http://www.singahobby.com/?q=node/31792
Yeah that was pretty much the only place i found it but i'm not too excited about ordering from them.

I contacted HatoriUSA and they directed me to central hobbies who did not have what i needed. I also checked out graves hobby

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.