Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 111 Warranty Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 10:17 AM
bafflerback
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLE 111 Warranty Issue

My son bought a DLE 111 from or local hobby shop before Tower and Troy Built were importing them. We've got about 4 gallons of fuel through the engine and the brass retainer that holds the rod bearings broke and distroyed the engine. The shop where we bought the engine tried to contact his orginal supplier and was told they don't handle the engine anymore. Both Tower and Troy Built will sell us the parts but don't want to know anything about the warranty. I don't blame Tower or Troy Built as they didn't supply the engine but you would thing that someone would step up and help.

Has anyone had any luck getting one of these earlier engines fixed under the warranty? If so how did you get it done. The number on the engine is 47 so it was one of the earler shipments. I've seen other posts where this engine has had the same failure and no one has said if they were able to get it fixed. We priced the parts at almost $500. Before we will do that I'll find a good used DA.

Thanks
Bob
Old 06-24-2011, 10:51 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: DLE 111 Warranty Issue

the someone who should step in is the hobby shop......
Old 06-24-2011, 11:05 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The hobby shop should contact the factory for you.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:08 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

If the number is 47 how old is the engine?. Even with only 4 gallons of fuel thru it. Also why would the LHS step in. How was he to know that his supplier would not back up the engine?
I am sorry about the engine and I agree with you when the repair bill is more then 50% get another one. but why not another DLE 111 all the early problems have been fixed and it's much stronger then any 100cc. I'm sure with that low a number at the time no one knew there were problems and they showed up later. If this had happened in my place I would offer a new engine at a deep discount, but that all I could do. Dennis
Old 06-24-2011, 11:10 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or you could contact DLE direct but you may be hard pressed proving the time and location of purchase. The hobby dealer should be stepping up to the plate to assist since they had either imported them or used a supplier to obtain the product.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:53 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DLE would probably not provide warranty, but they have the means to help their customer out. I suppose he is willing to pay for engine repairs as needed.
This is what MVVS does, regardless. Pride of workmanship is what counts here.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:05 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have read in several posts that VVRC and Tower dont get compensated for warranty work done, what is the incentive to sell a motor under those circumstances?
Old 06-24-2011, 08:00 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

i have read in several posts that VVRC and Tower dont get compensated for warranty work done, what is the incentive to sell a motor under those circumstances?
is it the markup?
Old 06-24-2011, 08:23 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Hardly, the typical mark up for an r/c engine is in the 20 to 30% range. One has to sell a ton of engines to keep the doors open. The R/C business is not an easy one my friends. Low profits, constantly changing markets, customers who want you to spend all day with them on the phone to fix their issue when you only made a 40.00 profit from them. I'm not even going to mention the internet abuse that happens should one of our favorite suppliers not answer a phone call or email within 3 hours.....................
Old 06-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

I was quoted $166 each for 10 DLE 30s from a Chinese wholesaler...the factory direct importers gotta be paying less than that...
That was just before the factory cut off the wholesalers...
Old 06-24-2011, 10:07 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: Antique

I was quoted $166 each for 10 DLE 30s from a Chinese wholesaler...the factory direct importers gotta be paying less than that...
good deal!
Old 06-25-2011, 03:30 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was offered about the same deal as Antique..just about the same time. I have the emails yet....in my old computer. Capt,n
Old 06-25-2011, 06:38 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

He may have been trying to dump them quickly before he got cut off. I have seen this too.