Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Small gassers not worth the investment!

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Small gassers not worth the investment!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 01:58 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Small gassers not worth the investment!

Someone of prominance in these forums proclaimed that small gas engines were not worth the investment and no major manufacturer would waste their time on them. Well, of course, I disagree with this. The future of the hobby will be small and smaller gas powered engines. Probably down to .60-40 size I believe.
Well, I had not heard about this one. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LNBCKA&P=G It seems that this at least somewhat supports my beliefs. Thankfully it is not too "cheap" so anyone purchasing it will not have to also invest in a flame suit to ask questions about it on these sacred forums!
Old 07-08-2011, 02:06 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Small gassers not worth the investment!

Small fry will be wiped away by electrics. A small nich market can hardly be profitable, so for these engines you have to rely on hobby manufacturers mainly, OR, pay a huge price per HP.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:16 PM
darrolair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1
Old 07-08-2011, 02:17 PM
vertical grimmace

I wonder where the dust will settle on size? The point where you go electric or gas? I am currently building a .45-.60 sized Sun Fli 5, and originally had a Rossi lined up for it, but have decided to go electric mid-build. Honestly it will last a lot longer electric. Same as the gas planes do. My last major problem with glow, the lifespan of the model.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:29 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace
My last major problem with glow, the lifespan of the model.

why is that, because of deadsticks or the covering not staying on?
Old 07-08-2011, 02:32 PM
vertical grimmace

At this point I paint most everything. I do not have problems with deadsticks generally. I can fly with power off, Glow engines, mainly the fuel are hard on airframes. I have built hundreds of planes. Being a racer and combat guy I have built fleets of aircraft. The only way to really get one to really last is to paint it well. unless it is not flown much.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:55 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what ive found out thanks to a flying buddy of mine is... if i go over every seam, and every stripe with clear nail polish they will last a lot longer. its tedious work but worth it

i bought a cheapo chinese ultra sport clone covered chinakote off ebay and it didt last worth a crap.... i bought another one and gave it the nail polish treatment and the covering is still intact.

you gotta do it in its assembling stage, before you hinge and glue in the tail surfaces
Old 07-08-2011, 03:57 PM
skip1320

I think a DLE 20 is the greatest thing since depron foam,hot glue an lipo,s,had the 30 great engine,just never got to play w/glow size frames,and theres a million of frames,scale or warbird,I built a 6s 63in electric 3d right before 20 came out due to low powerset price,s also great,three years ago it would of cost double/triple cost,it almost takes fun away,like mail order 600hp for your hot rod.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:04 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

Small fry will be wiped away by electrics. A small nich market can hardly be profitable, so for these engines you have to rely on hobby manufacturers mainly, OR, pay a huge price per HP.
I wish you would have worded your thought a lot more clear. Maybe in you area they push for electric....over here in the USA I would say the 20cc 30cc and the 55cc gas engine powered airplanes will sell more. I see them electric planes indoors and that is about it. Lots of too lite of electric airplanes set...they cannot handle much wind. Anyway ...real engines make neat sound only a gasser can make. Capt,n
Old 07-08-2011, 04:51 PM
capnduane

Just recently got a RCGF 20cc from Hobby King. Its the beam mount motor and it swings a 17/6 prop well. Been flying it in a 16lb Sig clipped wing cub, and it is a perfect motor for this airframe. Sips fuel. $3.79 per gal + $1 oil. Don't own any electrics, and don't want any.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:28 PM
the pope

ORIGINAL: capnduane

Just recently got a RCGF 20cc from Hobby King. Its the beam mount motor and it swings a 17/6 prop well. Been flying it in a 16lb Sig clipped wing cub, and it is a perfect motor for this airframe. Sips fuel. $3.79 per gal + $1 oil. Don't own any electrics, and don't want any.
Good on ya Duane , commonsense may say electric is the way to go but theres no commonsense in this hobby or we would walk away from the hobby before we got our hands slimmy with fuel and our bank balance raped. I also will never buy electric even if it was the only option left. Cheers the pope
Old 07-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

The limiting factor for small gassers is the size of the carb and the size of the ignition module. With current technology both of these items are about the same size from the smallest gassers on through the larger twins. No problem finding a place for the ignition module and related components in a large model but how about in a plane with a small gasser on it .... try finding a place for the module and the battery in that plane!! Then the carb will either be sticking out the side of the cowl or sticking well behind the firewall depending on what engine is used.

I'm guessing that about the 1.0 cu in size will be the lower limit of what is practical for use. Certainly there will be and there are smaller gassers ... but how practical are they for the average user. Already, glo users converting to gassers have problems getting all the equipment crammed into their plane with something like a DLE20, smaller will present problems!

For me, the DLE 30 is the ideal small gasser ... small enough to reduce costs and still large enough to have a good flying plane .... while having an installation that is not crammed into the plane. A nice overall compromise between too small and just right!
Old 07-08-2011, 07:19 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

The limiting factor for small gassers is the size of the carb and the size of the ignition module. With current technology both of these items are about the same size from the smallest gassers on through the larger twins. No problem finding a place for the ignition module and related components in a large model but how about in a plane with a small gasser on it .... try finding a place for the module and the battery in that plane!! Then the carb will either be sticking out the side of the cowl or sticking well behind the firewall depending on what engine is used.

I'm guessing that about the 1.0 cu in size will be the lower limit of what is practical for use. Certainly there will be and there are smaller gassers ... but how practical are they for the average user. Already, glo users converting to gassers have problems getting all the equipment crammed into their plane with something like a DLE20, smaller will present problems!

For me, the DLE 30 is the ideal small gasser ... small enough to reduce costs and still large enough to have a good flying plane .... while having an installation that is not crammed into the plane. A nice overall compromise between too small and just right!
I agree, and once you fly the 20cc gas powered airplanes...on up...you won,t even want to touch or run a glow fuel sputterbug any more. No more messing around with glow drivers going dead...flame-outs and cleaning slime off your airplane. Just flip and fly!!! Capt,n P.S. a lot cheaper to runthan glow too!
Old 07-08-2011, 07:42 PM
skip1320

This was a great setup untill,well you know,wouldnt hesitate to put a 20 on there if i still had frame,I couldnt help laughing every time i flew the funtana,powerful and light.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40303.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	1633001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15935.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1633002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72937.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1633003  
Old 07-08-2011, 07:43 PM
the Wasp

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

""and no major manufacturer would waste their time on them""

haahaa what ??? wasn't there hundreds of manufacturers all making small Gassers in the early-years, I know because a fiend had about 80 of them collected till he lost them all in a fire

Jim
Old 07-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: the Wasp

''''and no major manufacturer would waste their time on them''''

haahaa what ??? wasn't there hundreds of manufacturers all making small Gassers in the early-years, I know because a fiend had about 80 of them collected till he lost them all in a fire

Jim
Certainly .... as glo had not yet been invented. And these were free flight and CL use only. These early ignition systems produced so much RFI few if any modern radio systems would work anywhere near them. Difficult to compare what was then to what is today .... completely different technologies as far as ignition goes.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:02 PM
the Wasp

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Indiomike
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

I wish you would have worded your thought a lot more clear. Maybe in you area they push for electric....over here in the USA I would say the 20cc 30cc and the 55cc gas engine powered airplanes will sell more. I see them electric planes indoors and that is about it. Lots of too lite of electric airplanes set...they cannot handle much wind. Anyway ...real engines make neat sound only a gasser can make. Capt,n
I am moving away from glow power and going to gas. However, I've yet to hear any gas or glow engine that has a realistic full size airplane engine sound. Remember the glow powered ducted fan jets. In my opinion, they made a horrible sound. The closest sounding model to the real thing is a turbine powered jet. However, they are way out of my modeling budget. I don't fly electric because of the lack of sound. Seeing a Mustang or Cub fly by in almost total silence is not for me. Neither would I own any model jet that had fixed gear. They just don't look right to me with the gear hanging down all the time (except for TO and landing ). I associate the sound and smell of IC engines with airplanes. I just wish they sounded more realistic than they do.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:37 PM
tonyob

I've been flying 40 and 60 sized glow and electric for about 3 years. I prefer the glow to electric because you get good feedback with the sound of the motor. But, I do find the glow planes suffer from fuel contamination.

I'd like to go to gas / petrol engines but they are generally noisier and there aren't many options down at the size of plane I fly. I don't want to go much bigger as I like the ease of transport with wingspans of about 5' (1500mm). I heard a rumour that OS is about to release a 30cc gas / petrol which I'm very interested in. There is the DLE 20 but I'm hoping for an OS 20cc at some stage in the nearish future, then I'll consider a switch from glow to gas / petrol.

I'm sure there is a significant market for small gassers.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:38 PM
tonyob

Whoops, based on the link at the start of this thread, the OS 33cc gas / petrol isn't far away. Sorry I didn't check before posting.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:29 AM
jharkin
My Feedback: (2)

You are making more of a baseless generalization than PE. In my area Ive seen lots of electrics all the way up to 30cc size planes. Those are not so common but electrics from 30oz park flyer to .40 size are more numerous than glow.

I also still see a lot of glow but its definitely in decline. Glow under roughly .60 size is giving way to electric as PE predicts, and over 1.20 size is giving way to the great 20cc and 30cc gassers.

Making any pronouncements about the entirety of the country, much less the world, based only on the group at your local field is silly.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:48 AM
STUKA BARRY

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

I agree, and once you fly the 20cc gas powered airplanes... on up...you won,t even want to touch or run a glow fuel sputterbug any more. No more messing around with glow drivers going dead...flame-outs and cleaning slime off your airplane. Just flip and fly!!! Capt,n[img][/img] P.S. a lot cheaper to run than glow too!
I discovered this back in 1985, never looked back on glow.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:02 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is one way to make small gassers profitable.
NGH in China just converts glow engines, uses 1/4" spark plugs, and a glow carb (kind of) on the small engines. ( NGHengine.com)
No roller connecting rod bearings, just a bit more work after flights to keep the engine happy. (if you use 1:30 oil)
Their newest engine is 9cc.
The 17cc engine sells in Europe for €230.00 . Not cheap by any standards

Old 07-09-2011, 04:04 AM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

I just have this problem with my 60 sized P-51 sounding like my battery powered toothbrush. There is something wrong with that total package image when those planes fly by and you have to wonder if they slso double up as a portable car mat vacuum or maybe used to cool oneself down at the baseball game.    (you can always count on me to kick Pandora's box a little)
Old 07-09-2011, 05:00 AM
boex

I replaced my OS 1.20AX with a DLE20cc and although am experimenting a little problem with the idle (I believe because engine not broken-in yet), so far the little gasser has proven to be a superior solution on all fronts than the messy OS. My DLE has more torque, less operating costs, better reliability and even more peak power. I will never touch a glow engine again, ever.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.