Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Pouring R/C Gasoline Into Your Car's Tank

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Pouring R/C Gasoline Into Your Car's Tank

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 03:13 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pouring R/C Gasoline Into Your Car's Tank

I sometimes wind up with a small amount of gasoline after a days flying and I usually pour it into my car’s gas tank to dispose of it safely. Unfortunately my only remaining car with a normally aspirated carburetor is on its last legs and all I have left are SUVs with computer controlled gas systems with fuel injection. Will the small amount of oil, I use Stihls, effect my cars fuel system in the long run? How about the sensors for the computer input? Dan.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:31 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Pouring R/C Gasoline Into Your Car's Tank

I really doubt it would cause any problems. The only possible problem would be damage to the oxygen sensor, but the tiny amount of oil we are talking about being diluted into a tank of gas in the car shouldn't be a problem. A car with worn rings burning oil would cause tons more carbon on the O2 sensor than a little bit of two stroke oil in a tank of gas could cause.

AV8TOR
Old 07-13-2011, 05:05 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

+
Old 07-13-2011, 05:07 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

I really doubt it would cause any problems. The only possible problem would be damage to the oxygen sensor, but the tiny amount of oil we are talking about being diluted into a tank of gas in the car shouldn't be a problem. A car with worn rings burning oil would cause tons more carbon on the O2 sensor than a little bit of two stroke oil in a tank of gas could cause.

AV8TOR
Very good reply....have a good one Capt,n
Old 07-13-2011, 06:23 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the remaining fuel to power my lawn mover (a four-stroke B&S) and my Ryobi weed wacker. Both are still doing well after 5 summers. If it is good enough for my aircraft then it is good enough for my garden tools.

Bliksem

Old 07-13-2011, 06:39 PM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

iv'e done this. a few times. no it will not hurt anything as long as there is about 1/4 tank of gas in the vehicle to dilute the mixture........no probelm........RON
Old 07-13-2011, 07:57 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DAN REISS

I sometimes wind up with a small amount of gasoline after a days flying and I usually pour it into my car’s gas tank to dispose of it safely. Unfortunately my only remaining car with a normally aspirated carburetor is on its last legs and all I have left are SUVs with computer controlled gas systems with fuel injection. Will the small amount of oil, I use Stihls, effect my cars fuel system in the long run? How about the sensors for the computer input? Dan.

why not save it for next weeks flying?

so you buy gas every time you go out flying?
Old 07-13-2011, 10:21 PM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: DAN REISS

why not save it for next weeks flying?

so you buy gas every time you go out flying?
I was wondering the same thing
Old 07-14-2011, 01:55 AM
TimBle

take it home, store it in the beer fridge in the garage
Old 07-14-2011, 03:06 AM
Clean

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Not me, I mix 2 gallons at a time and fly till it's gone.  If it gets old I'll dump it in the weedeater and lawnmower but I can't see it getting too old. However, 2 gallons of fuel lasts a Looooooong time.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:26 AM
wyo69cowboy
My Feedback: (2)

I dump mine in the ol' RV: 50gal tank and a 440 Dodge makes quick work of it! Have even disposed of a little bad glow fuel that way...
Old 07-14-2011, 06:45 AM
pilotpete2

ORIGINAL: TimBle

take it home, store it in the beer fridge in the garage
There you go[8D]
To a Briggs & Stratton, stale gas is like Budweiser is to a couple of my friends, they thrive on it[]
Pete
Old 07-14-2011, 07:22 AM
All Day Dan

Thanks guys for all your inputs. I only mix two gallons at a time and frequently wind up with an inch or two of gas at the bottom. If I leave that in a closed container it starts expanding as the volatile components evaporate and that's the good stuff. I prefer to get rid of it and refill the container to have the gas as fresh as possible. When the old car craps out I'll probably start pouring it into the computer run buggy. Dan.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:56 AM
TimBle

the gas coming off the gasoline is the butane evaporating from the fuel. Theres not much octane loss but eventually the engine may become hard to start up since the fuels volatility will drop.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:47 AM
All Day Dan

Thanks Timble, I was wondering what caused that. Dan.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:22 PM
crustychief

Using it in lawn equipment is a better choice than pouring it in a car with a catalytic converter.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:15 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Huh,
I have a 2.5 gallon can for my Aircraft gas, when it gets below 1/2 a can I mix up another gallon and pour it in, ths way I always have more than a gallon ready, I do this all summer long,,, then what ever is left when winter hits goes into the "unknown %" mixed can,, I run the leaf blower, weed wacker and the edge trim with that.. never had a problem since I run mostly everything around 50-1

But sure less than 1oz of oil mixed in with 5-10 or more gallons of gas in inconsequential
Old 07-14-2011, 07:31 PM
All Day Dan

Some more good inputs. I don't know how fragile the sensors are that the computer uses to get its information. That's one of the reasons I posted this. I just had the fuel injectors cleaned in my Suburban after 100,000 miles. It always passsed the smog test so I never was concerned about it. I did not know if the oil in the R/C gas would gummy them up. Dan.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:52 AM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

I have used the gas in my lawn mower, but I usually just put it in the plane. When my 2.5 gal. jug gets down a gal. or so, I buy another gallon to top it off. Might sit for a couple of weeks between flying sessions, but never had any problems. A couple of teaspoons of oil in 10 gal. of gas shouldn't hurt anything in a vehicle. But Alabama doesn't have any vehicle testing to contend with.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:29 AM
hanko

My car likes lawn girl
Old 07-15-2011, 09:45 AM
dogshome

ORIGINAL: pilotpete2

There you go[8D]
To a Briggs & Stratton, stale gas is like Budweiser is to a couple of my friends, they thrive on it[]
Pete
My B&S mower runs on anything that smells funny!
Old 07-15-2011, 07:15 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

If you put Sta-Bil in the fuel when you mix it, it will keep for up to a year. I use Marine Sta-bil (blue in color) which is supposed to prevent the phase seperation you sometimes get with ethanol-blended gasoline. This stuff more-or-less prevents the alcohol from absorbing too much water and separating from the gasoline. (same thing happens to glow fuel with too much water in it.. the oil drops from solution except I dont think sta-bil will work with an alcohol based fuel...)

I swear by sta-bil and sea-foam. Either one will keep your gas fresh and the inside of your engine clean. I have ran old mixed fuel in my snow blower and lawnmower - no damage or ill effects other than my 4-stroke lawnmower will smell like a 2-stroke until its good and hot. No reason to chuck it if using a fuel stabilizer though.

Even a gallon of 16:1 in a 12 gallon car fuel tank at 1/4 full isnt going to do too much damage to a Fuel Injected car. Fuel Economy might suffer some, but once the fuel clears the system or is diluted enough the sensors and cat. converter will burn the residue off. Most newer cars use heated O2 sensors which pre-heat and run a little hotter than a non-heated unit. The older non-heated units may suffer more but I doubt it would be enough to cause any major damage beyond maybe fouled plugs.

Its too bad I couldnt whip up a glow-plug foundry at my house. Most cat. converters are full of platinum these days. There's enough platinum in 1 converter to make a lifetime supply of glow plugs. (around here they pay $50-$100 per converter at a local recycler)
Old 07-15-2011, 07:50 PM
All Day Dan

1QwkSport2.5r. Thanks for that well written input. There's a lot of good information there for all of us. Dan.