Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Fugi 64 hard to start

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 04:58 PM
j lauria

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fugi 64 hard to start

I have a Fugi 64 with electronic ignition installed in my newly built 1/3 scale Ercoup. It is extremely hard to start compared to my Zenoah,DA and Quadra engines. I have become fond of the DA starting method. That is crack the throttle, choke on and flip til it fires than choke off and flip till it starts. This works with very little effort on the DA 50. I am getting a spark although too weak to see in bright light. After about twenty flips ..I get fuel to the carb. Most of the time a few more flips and I get a wet plug and no start. Very frustrating!! Anybody with similar problem and a solution?
Old 07-13-2011, 05:04 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Fugi 64 hard to start

You need to change to a RCEXL ignition

Also your carb should have fuel to the engines as soon as the DA does. Therefore your carb needs rebuilding or your choke is not working correctly or your idle mixture is too lean.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:49 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

If you install an RCXL ignition, make sure you get a complete "kit". The Fuji sensor will work with the RCXL BUT the timing is way off.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:37 AM
doswings

I bought a Fugi 26 not to long ago from Tower. Regardless of what I tried I couldn't start it by hand and a normal 12 volt starter wouldn't even turn it over. Set it to Hobbico to see if there was a possible problem with the engine. They returned it saying the engine was fine but was not meant to be started by hand. I wanted an engine I could easily start by hand and wasn't about to invest in a 24 volt starter so I called Tower, explained the issue and they very graciously gave me a credit for the full amount.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:43 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

That's one of the STUPIDEST things I have ever heard....
Must be the weakest 12 volt starter on the planet....
Old 07-14-2011, 09:15 AM
doswings

May sound stupid but it but it wouldn't turn with either an old Sullivan heavy duty or a new Hobico heavy duty which I bought figuring the Sullivan was old. Replacing the Fugi with a cheap Chinese FTL 26 which either starter turns with authority. Do you have a Fugi 26 or just commenting on something you have no first hand knowledge of.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:43 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: doswings

May sound stupid but it but it wouldn't turn with either an old Sullivan heavy duty or a new Hobico heavy duty which I bought figuring the Sullivan was old. Replacing the Fugi with a cheap Chinese FTL 26 which either starter turns with authority. Do you have a Fugi 26 or just commenting on something you have no first hand knowledge of.
The 12V battery was the problem? You needed a larger 12V battery.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:17 AM
doswings

You may be right but I have enough stuff to load up. Don't need a heavier battery or more stuff to carry to the field. The parking area is to far from the pits to use the car battery. More to the point is why go through the trouble when a DLE or even $120.00 Chinese engine solves the issue. I don't know about the 55 but the Fugi 26 has the crankshaft sticking out of the back of the engine an inch or so (probably made for boat of car pull starters) which additionally causes mounting issues. Don't know why anyone would want to go through the issues when there are better solutions.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

I have been working on gassers for about 25 years and know EXACTLY what I'm talking about...The last Fuji 26 I staightened was hand startable..Maye you need a stronger hand ?
FWIW, the Fuji 26 is one of the better Fuji engines...