Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Nitro Gasoline Conversion

Old 07-16-2011, 10:47 PM
Umran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Gasoline Conversion

Dear All,
With the introduction of small spark plugs i.e. 1/4-32 size (same as nitro glow plugs thread) the nitro to gasoline conversions is growing rapidly each day.

A simple placement of magnet, pick-up sensor and off course the ignition unit, you are basically set to go...

In this video, even though it shows a heli, but in it was the thunder tiger 70 nitro however it was modded with all the mentioned items above. It runs on 95 octane gasoline fuel with 30 to 1 mix of 2 cycle mineral oil.

But most importantly, do not ever repeat what is being shown in the video. It is a dangerous move even for a professional or anybody for that matter. And that is my main intention of posting this thread, please never ever do this. I was surprised myself!!!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyoQgp6bU5c[/youtube]

The spoken language is Bahasa Malaysia, but i guessed international forumers may get the idea what i was talking about based on my voice intonation.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:39 PM
tdriver

Default RE: Nitro Gasoline Conversion

a few pointers.....

first off ,definiteley a very stupid thing to do..........

a minor detail...
this heli looks like a raptor 60 to me (not 50), this one had the tt-70 pro pre-installed (won't fit the 50). also the frame on the 50 is made of plastic.

30:1 gas/oil ratio without a needle bearing on the crankshaft/conrod is a bit too less i think.

without the bearing i think the same oil content as glow fuel should be used. that is around 18% oil.

it sounds like a tad too rich on the lower rpms. maybe a walbro carb would do the trick.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:26 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I totally agree, a real foolish thing to do.

Karol
Old 07-17-2011, 06:03 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

foolish or not, I am not to judge.
If glow needs 18% oil, gas can do with a lot less because gas itself is a lubricant and methanol is not. 7% (1:15) to 10% (1:10) would be about right for bronze bushed connecting rods. The engine in the movie still was running very rich, so would get enough oil. Things change when leaned out properly and under full working load.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:06 AM
Umran

Thanks for the insides on the oil ratio... and off course i corrected the heli model. I don't own raptor heli.

No matter how confident one can be with it's equipment, all it takes is just a very minor mechanical or electronic fault, the whole thing might slammed itself to the flier.

it is just too dangerous.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:21 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Forgive me... I didn't watch the vid....

but what is so "foolish" or "stupid" about converting an engine?
Old 07-17-2011, 09:09 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

I have been doing several engine conversions here and I tell the owners to use a 16-1- 20-1 ratio depending on which engine is it.
Watching that vid show what little respect the flyer has for the equipment and I expect if that sort of thing continues he will learn a lesson the hard way.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:35 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

OK...watched....

yes.. his handling of the Heli is one of the more... Darwinian things I have seen.... is that what the comments were for or was it for the conversion itself....
Old 07-17-2011, 10:14 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On another note about converting to electronic ignition is you can run E85 and mix caster with it and your fuel cost would be about $8.00 a gallon, Plus you can still tune and run it with your glow carb.

Milton
Old 07-17-2011, 12:59 PM
pe reivers

With e85 you would need a lot more oil, and have the same mess as a glow engine.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:28 PM
BadAzzMaxx

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

With e85 you would need a lot more oil, and have the same mess as a glow engine.
Yep, but sure beats the high cost of glow fuel and no worries about blowing a bushing on the rod.

Milton
Old 07-17-2011, 07:05 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Milton

With E85 would you need the Electronic Ignition?
Old 07-17-2011, 07:32 PM
BadAzzMaxx

all in what size engine you are running, If you do not need nitro in your fuel it will work. just like the large supper tigers did not need nitro. forget what the glow fuel was called with no nitro in it.

Milton
Old 07-17-2011, 07:42 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

FAI?
Old 07-18-2011, 05:17 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: BadAzzMaxx

On another note about converting to electronic ignition is you can run E85 and mix caster with it and your fuel cost would be about $8.00 a gallon, Plus you can still tune and run it with your glow carb.

Milton
I can mix glow fuel cheaper than that!
Old 07-18-2011, 06:11 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

When it comes to saving money so you can fly more...a little cleaning is not a big issue. Are people getting that lazy. I think after reading these forums... a lot of people never had to do any messy or hard jobs in their entire life. What cry babbies...Oh mom I had to get my hands dirty...or gee I too tired to walk that far accrost the parking lot. For you Lazy slobs out there...I hope you get in shape. Capt,n PS If I get some bad replies....tough meow meow!
Old 07-18-2011, 07:35 AM
Cyberwolf

I have found that only the glow carbs with a very fine thread on the needles can be used with gas, other wise a person has a very tough time finding the correct tune.
I just finished up a Saito 270 twin where I used the glow carb and so far it seems to be working ok, but I think a walbro would have been better.
At a 16-1 - 20-1 ratio the clean up is no where near that of what 18-20 % oil is in glow fuel.
Making an adapter for a walbro type carb has proven to be the best route to go and so far I have not had and issues finding a suitable carb for the conversions I have done.
Here are a coupls of pics, one is a 160 FX and the other is a 160 FT twin. There was not enough room for the carb on the twin to lay down so I turned it up right, something like the larger gas engines are. Both engine's run great and are able to swing the larger end props W/O the lag they had on glow fuel. Both are on 20 -1 gas oil mix
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53365.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	1636862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23125.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	1636863  
Old 07-18-2011, 08:38 AM
Umran

ORIGINAL: Cyberwolf

I have found that only the glow carbs with a very fine thread on the needles can be used with gas, other wise a person has a very tough time finding the correct tune.
I just finished up a Saito 270 twin where I used the glow carb and so far it seems to be working ok, but I think a walbro would have been better.
At a 16-1 - 20-1 ratio the clean up is no where near that of what 18-20 % oil is in glow fuel.
Making an adapter for a walbro type carb has proven to be the best route to go and so far I have not had and issues finding a suitable carb for the conversions I have done.
Here are a coupls of pics, one is a 160 FX and the other is a 160 FT twin. There was not enough room for the carb on the twin to lay down so I turned it up right, something like the larger gas engines are. Both engine's run great and are able to swing the larger end props W/O the lag they had on glow fuel. Both are on 20 -1 gas oil mix

The highlighted notes is superb! It is true to the essence!
Old 07-18-2011, 12:12 PM
pe reivers

John,
I am a ship's engineer by original profession, and used to crawl front to back through those hot oily contraptions they call engines for inspections. Nowadays, whenever I can get by without oil all over me, I will choose that option. My gas planes stay clean after the first running in period. I just love that, and it is not laziness I can assure you. The plane too is not jeopardized by oil seepage into the wood and nooks and crannies, or cover seams (I hate cover). For that reason I use an air filter on my engines whenever possible, so all blowback is eliminated.
I would however never use less oil than the percentage needed by the engine just to save me some cleaning. For that reason, my standard oil mix is 3% (1:33) for hard working glider tow engines, and 2.5% (1:40) for loafing around.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:42 PM
errie

ORIGINAL: Cyberwolf

Cyberwolf, what are the walbro model numbers on these carbs, you used here in the first and second pic?
Old 08-24-2011, 01:28 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The 270/300 twins can use the same carb as the 150/180 singles because the cylinders fire alternately on this twin four stroke..
Old 08-24-2011, 04:37 PM
Cyberwolf

Hi errie

The OS 160 FX has a Walbro WT-499
The OS 160 Twin Gemini has a Walbro WT-400
Old 08-24-2011, 05:52 PM
Antique

The 499 is the stock carb on the not now sold Zenoah G23 glow version...
Old 08-25-2011, 04:10 AM
Cyberwolf

Its also the stock carb for the Evo 26
Old 04-12-2012, 05:39 PM
flycolorado

Cyberwolf,
Would love to see more photos of the 160 twin carb setup. I just got one and plan on a gas conversion as well. How did you plumb the carb pump pulse? I assume the crank case vent using a "T"but that's just an assumption. Looks great though, I need to machine a manifold and would love to see more photo's of yours if you have them.

Thanks,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.