Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Filling the tank.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 09:35 PM
CustomPC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Filling the tank.

I'm relatively new to gas planes and have a question about filling the tank.

I see lots of pictures of two line tanks with a clunk line that has a 'T' piece for filling from the carb feed line.

Wouldn't filling the tank through the carb feed line have potential to introduce contaminants on the wrong side of the clunk filter?

Old 07-24-2011, 09:47 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Filling the tank.

you can use a 2 line set up just make sure you dont fill into an inline fuel filter, as that can cause what you just mentioned...... fill straignt into the tank, and the inline fuel filter should be on the other side of the tee

im not sure i explained it clearly
Old 07-24-2011, 09:59 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A three line system is really better. One uninterrupted line with a clunk filter to the carb from the tank. One vent, and one dedicated fill/empty line, which is plugged off after use. The fill/empty line must either be at the bottom of the tank, or have a clunk line on it too to actually be used to empty the tank.

A two line system used properly works ok, but you often introduce air into the system when fueling, and that can cause hard starting sometimes.

AV8TOR
Old 07-24-2011, 11:06 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you also have a filter in the bulk can, where's there any problem? You do have a filter in the can, right?
Old 07-25-2011, 05:01 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

IMO an inline filter unless of the ultra fine screen variety is pretty much a waste of time in a gasser, and only provides an opportunity to introduce air into the feed line to the carb. I use a three line system and have a felt filter on my fuel jug's pick up line, a small paper element filter in the feed line from the jug and a felt filtered clunk in the tank, which keeps my carb screen very clean. Just my .02 cents.

Karol
Old 07-25-2011, 05:13 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I decided to put a tee in the clunk line of a gasser and after filling the tank, I plugged the fill line with a wooden dowel.

The engine would not suck fuel? Eventually, I found that the Chinese dowel from the hardware store was porous and you could suck air through the dowel like it was a straw.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:22 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A three line system is really better. One uninterrupted line with a clunk filter to the carb from the tank. One vent, and one dedicated fill/empty line, which is plugged off after use. The fill/empty line must either be at the bottom of the tank, or have a clunk line on it too to actually be used to empty the tank.

A two line system used properly works ok, but you often introduce air into the system when fueling, and that can cause hard starting sometimes.<hr />
Old 07-25-2011, 06:13 AM
clivemc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for a3 line system better......
Old 07-25-2011, 06:57 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Toni Clarke recommends the use of a coarse pitch screw screwed partially in the end of the vent line based on a similar principle, that sufficient air gets past the threads to allow the tank to vent, while not allowing any significant leakage of fuel, and also helps to lessen the smell of the gasoline.

Karol