Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Zenoah GT80 needs help- Who is the best?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Zenoah GT80 needs help- Who is the best?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 08:18 AM
flyerdave
My Feedback: (212)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zenoah GT80 needs help- Who is the best?

I have a zenoah GT-80 that is giving me a fit! I had it on magneto and decided to put an RC Exell electronic ignition on it. I did this hoping that it would be easier to start and less weight. It did help the weight, but man is it a bear to start. After properly choking and getting the carb wet,it will pop and try to run, but thats it, it is almost harder to start with the EI than it was with magneto. Also,when I do get it started, the carb is spewing fuel out at midrange and though I know some fuel is normal, this carb is blowing out way too much.I have leaned both needles to best rpm then richened 1/4 turn, and still the fuel just blows out of the carb. The prop is a Mezjlik 24x10 so I don't think it is way over-propped.
My question is: Is Ralph Cunningham still doing his magic on these engines? If so, I will pull it off and send it to him, if he is no longer in that business, where is the next best place to send the engine?

Thanks for the help, I know this engine is capable of being a great running powerplant, I'm just not smart enough to figure out how to get it right.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:56 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Zenoah GT80 needs help- Who is the best?

Ralph is alive and well. He is Antique on here
Old 07-25-2011, 08:56 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave, don't know why carb is spewing fuel but check your ignition from the recall notice attached below for possible ignition problems.

Milton
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44657.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	1639839  
Old 07-25-2011, 10:16 AM
hanko

Dick Bennet at B&B Specialties
Old 07-25-2011, 11:31 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

There is a current discussion over on that other Giant Scale forum regarding this issue.

I have a GT-80 that Ralph converted using an Rcexl ignition and nothing could be easier to start!
Old 07-25-2011, 02:46 PM
aussiesteve

ORIGINAL: flyerdave

I have a zenoah GT-80 that is giving me a fit! I had it on magneto and decided to put an RC Exell electronic ignition on it. I did this hoping that it would be easier to start and less weight. It did help the weight, but man is it a bear to start. After properly choking and getting the carb wet,it will pop and try to run, but thats it, it is almost harder to start with the EI than it was with magneto. Also,when I do get it started, the carb is spewing fuel out at midrange and though I know some fuel is normal, this carb is blowing out way too much.I have leaned both needles to best rpm then richened 1/4 turn, and still the fuel just blows out of the carb. The prop is a Mezjlik 24x10 so I don't think it is way over-propped.
My question is: Is Ralph Cunningham still doing his magic on these engines? If so, I will pull it off and send it to him, if he is no longer in that business, where is the next best place to send the engine?

Thanks for the help, I know this engine is capable of being a great running powerplant, I'm just not smart enough to figure out how to get it right.
The ignition issue raised by badazzmax is a strong contender but why lean out then open 1/4 turn?

If the ignition is good, it is quite likely that a simple carb kit wil solve your woes.

Ralph or Dick are"DAMen" for sure.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:29 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ropomond

The ignition issue raised by badazzmax is a strong contender but why lean out then open 1/4 turn?
Good point about richening the needles. On many of our carbs an additional 1/4 turn open on a HS needle can take the engine from running perfectly to blubbering rich!
Old 08-04-2011, 06:39 PM
flyerdave
My Feedback: (212)

Thanks Milton,
You nailed it.The ignition was the problem. With the new ignition, this engine is now the easiest to start that I have ever had.After leaning the low end needle, this thing idles at 1100 rpms for as long as you leave it there. I can't wait to get this thing in the air Sunday.

Thanks again.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:50 PM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One more headache out of the way. LOL

Just wish I had known about the problem sooner, could have saved myself and a lot of others a lot of grief.

Milton