Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Menz 22x8 prop - Can't Balance

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 12:14 PM
GPutt33
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Menz 22x8 prop - Can't Balance

Just a quick question - I bought a Menz 22x8 prop, drilled it using the jig for a DA50. I'm using a Tru-Spin balancer.

I started with back plate, prop, balance ring and spinner and by the time I got done I had all of the set screws on one side and they are still at the top. The swing of the prop to center did slow down a little but not much. Took everything off and tried just the prop itself and it swung down and stopped dead pretty quick.

I took the other prop I bought out of the bag, put it on the balancer and it did almost the same thing.......... I don't know how much weight change it'll take to balance but I'm thinking more then I have ever seen before.

Has anyone else recently had any problems getting a Menz 22x8 prop balanced????
Just wondering if it's a possible batch of bad props just coming out, a difference in the wood from one end to the other etc.

I'm taking them all over to my brothers tonight to try them out on his balancer to just make sure they do the same thing on his.......................
Old 07-25-2011, 01:22 PM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Menz 22x8 prop - Can't Balance

Hi!
Just take out you file and sandpaper!
Old 07-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I quit using Menz props several years ago due their poor quality control and even poorer availability. As Jaka suggested, start carving and sanding one blade until it matches the other one. A dial caliper can assist you getting the blades the same thickness at the same blade stations along the prop blade's length. Also, always balance the prop by itself and not as a part of the prop / spinner unit. Once you get them all tuned up, they're still good props but you can buy Xoar laminated props for less $$ and they are pretty much ready to go right out of the bag.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Lnewqban

ORIGINAL: GPutt33

I don't know how much weight change it'll take to balance but I'm thinking more then I have ever seen before.
You could have an idea about the weight to be removed by placing weight (some play putty) on the light blade, approximately by the center of the area that you would sand down on the opposite blade, until the prop balances.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:19 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure you're using the balance ring correctly? I've yet to find a need for one of those and have been able to balance all my props the old fashioned way. That leads me to suspect there is a reason for not balancing that is outside of the propeller's influence.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:45 PM
GPutt33
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Guys - Thanks for the info, let's see:

I'll use some putty or a little tape and lead to see how much weight I'm looking at removing.

I'll 2nd you on the Xoar, that's what I've been using and your right, with just a little bit of adjustment they are ready to go.

I do like to balance the prop, but then I go ahead and finish the balance by putting all the rotating parts together and then do a final balance. I mark all the parts so they all go back on the engine in the exact same alignment. You'd be surprised at how much the other components will take the perfectly balanced prop out of balance.

I bought the balance ring to just try it, and like I said I needed the extra weight on the nose anyhow. After a little trial and error I found that it does actually do a really good job. If your trying to be weight conscience however, stick to the tried and true methods of either sanding or using the clear finishes.

I did call up the shop I got it from and also DA, and neither one said they have had any calls with the same problem, so it must not be a 'batch' thing.

Thanks again guys
Old 07-26-2011, 02:17 AM
TheRickster
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Menz 24X8 that took a LOT of work to balance.. I really should have sent it back but I was in a bind for a prop.. I broke the glaze on the light blade and it took many coats of clear poly to bring it into balance.. Also flexing the prop by hand revealed a definite difference in rigidity between one blade and the other leading me to believe it was different density ..

Rick
Old 07-26-2011, 03:53 AM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
Remember to always sand on the front side of the prop so that the pitch isn't altered,
I never measure the thickness when I balance my props , just file and sanding untill the the prop balance!
Old 07-26-2011, 04:42 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Menz props are cheap. If you had to pay for the balance work they require in the larger sizes, they are extremely expensive.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:52 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put one layer of clear paint at the back of the lighter side. Balance with a high-point balancer. Rebalance after the paint dry. Menz props are not particularly bad in my opinion. They are relatively light though.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:23 AM
hanko

there is a one bladed prop with a giant counter weight that was tried back in the early 20th century. it wasnt worth a ****, but it did balance
Old 07-26-2011, 11:44 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speed props also can be single bladed so a decent diameter can be employed.

On larger Menz props I found:

blade shape differences upper/lower blade
bore out of center both directions
blade angles out of whack
blade weight differences. (tip balance)
prop crosswise unbalance.

some props had all 5 issues.

up to 18" diameter the props were reasonably good, and the Menz is a good performer.