Old 07-27-2011, 12:58 AM
sheko_2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCG 26cc - best used fuel ?

hello,
it will be my 1st time to run a gas engine
so am wondring, which octane number will gives the best performance
here in Egypt we have from 80 octane to 95 octane

other RC pilots here used to use 92 octaine, so the question is 95 octane will gives a better performance or no difference will be noticed ?

Old 07-27-2011, 03:40 AM
hanko

Default RE: RCG 26cc - best used fuel ?

you wont notice any difference. they are designed to run on regular pump gas. Now on a different note. I have been running av gas because of the absense of ethonal. The fuel lines dont harden, and the carb diaphrams dont get all funkey. Its working out real good. I havnt noticed any ILL effects on anything except the wallet.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:37 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Unfortunately everyboby wants a one size fits all answer.

I see your address as Egypt.

The pump octane is calculated differently all over so there may not be one answer. Also some engines like the Evo 26, 45 and 58 have a significantly higher compression ratio and require high octane fuel (USA 92 octane).

That being said the average engine with around 7.5 : 1 compression ratio is fine on fresh fuel that is equivelent to USA octane of 87 (what ever that means for your location).

Watch those fingers and happy landings
Old 07-27-2011, 07:00 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sheko, What kind of engine do you have? The price of the different octane gasolines in the US is not much especially considering the small amounts we use. It's the compression ratio of your engine that should be considered. Dan.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:09 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your location is much warmer than what is usually encountered by most in this forum. The use of premium grade gas will reduce the probabality of detonation and pre-ignition in your engine. The use of lower octane gas will increase that probability. I have a great amount of time operating in an environment equal to or harsher than yours, used to prove this statement.

Go with the higher octane gas. 100 octane unleaded racing fuel is better still, but impractical to obtain. BTW, you folks have pretty good gas over there
Old 07-27-2011, 09:18 AM
sheko_2000

thanks all for your valiable answers, i guess i will go for 95 octane and see how it will performe