Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Roto Motor 35fs. I need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Roto Motor 35fs. I need some help!

I was reading another review done by someone in RC Groups about this motor. He says that when he actuall called the manufacturer, they recommend using a smaller prop like an 18x8 or 19x8 for the break in. He said he used a smaller prop and got up to 5800 RPM's. He also stated that they designed this motor to not exceed 6000 RPM's so I think where im at is pretty good. I have been running a 20x10 as per the instructions told me and I have been getting up to 5200 to 5300 RPM's which is probably as good as its ever going to get. I still will be doing a little more experimenting with this engine because I still have a different ignition coming and I might try a smaller propellor to see how the performance changes.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:54 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Roto Motor 35fs. I need some help!

ORIGINAL: davidgeorge212

When my dad and I were running the engine and adjusting the hall sensor, it was all done by guess work because we did not have a degree wheel to check where the sensor was. Im fairly happy with the performance we were getting out of the engine even though we did not accurately guage it with that dial. But, I printed out the top dead center degree wheel from C&H ignitions tonight and mounted it on the engine to check just where my sensor ended up. It turns out that my hall sensor is positioned about 44 degrees before top dead center. That is where the motor runs the best though. When we had it closer to 28 degrees, it did not run as well or reach a very high RPM on the top end but the low end did run ok. When the sensor was about 28 degrees before top dead center, the most RPM's it hit was 4500. As we experimented the further away we moved the hall sensor before top dead center, the better and faster the engine ran. Does 44 degrees sound odd or out of the ordinary to you? What do you think about where I have the sensor positioned because I think if I could physically move the sensor even more, it would probably make it run even better?
I have read a manual that called for the sensor positioned 44 degrees BTC. It seems odd because it is known that an engine runs best with the ignition spark 28 degrees BTC. It must be the ignition has some built delay in the spark. I wish someone that knows would give us an explanation.