Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

What happend to converting big 4 strokes to gas?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

What happend to converting big 4 strokes to gas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 05:05 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What happend to converting big 4 strokes to gas?

Ok I have been reading on the net about converting my used Satio 220 to gas. but the post are over 5 years old or so. Its 2011 and with more and more peaple running gas not nitro fuels I cant belive its still seems like black magjic to make a large nito 4 stroke run on gas.

From what I have read I would only need to make a .08 to 1.0 mm gaseket to shim the head caseing to lower my comp.

I will have to run 20:1 oil raito with 90 or so octan fuel

Use a standard election ignition set up, ( I have a TYG 52CC that I cant stand and wanted to use its parts) But were dose one get the small glow pug size plugs? Or is it worth drilling and taping to a larger size?

Need to do more reading on the timeing and how to fig your how to set the timeing.

Is there anything Im missing here?

All my planes are now gas,

Yes this one would still need its own fuel can vs the rest of my motors, I wanted to get another 220 for 109BF Im working on, but I want gas without the $550 price tag.

Thanks Mike
Old 10-17-2011, 05:31 PM
aussiesteve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What happend to converting big 4 strokes to gas?

Some did apparently manage to make it work well Mike.

I think you should do it and post a "build thread" as you go.

You could probably just drill out the head to fit the same plug as that TGY ignition uses. and even use the exisitng magnet from that TGY by simply cutting it out of the hub.
Use some high octane fuel for it (Maybe even add some Nitro to make it really go). and advance the spark real well to get those revs up. (You are the guy who is looking for speed in most of your planes aren't you?).

Then again, you could probably go to Gas / Glow on the existing 2.20 setup and get a similar result.

Contact Adrian at [email protected] and he will be able to help you with adapters etc needed to mount a Gas Carb on a Saito. He is the new guy that is also making the CH Ignitions now but he makes a lot more than just those.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:37 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

why not just go to the conversion forum here ?
Old 10-17-2011, 05:41 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

http://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/r...park-plug.html
They have everything you need.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:47 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The DLE 20 has about the same power as a Saito 150.

I converted the big Saitos I already had to gas but it is more cost effective to just buy a DLE if you don;t already have a Saito glow four stroke.

You don't need the shim under the cylinder of a Saito to reduce the compression ratio. They do just fine to just put the ignition on them and run a 1/4-32 spark plug.

There's not enough room for a CM-6 plug on them.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:08 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup the dle 20 really compares to the 150 4s

he likes the sound of a 4 stroke and dont blame him....
Old 10-17-2011, 08:00 PM
mikes68charger

Yes I Like all my birds fast, but I got a 109BF CMP that needs a rail mount motor that I have been dirveing my self crazy on trying to pick a good power plant for it. (actuly Im going nuts about my Gaint Top Flight p51 im building at the same time, Do I use the DLE 55 I already have laying around and get a Keleo muff, or do I try to get the used ZDZ 80cc for $400!!! and way over power the mustang. Anyways

I already have a basicly new 220 saito that was giveing to me in a deal, and the it was great just the way it is, but Im trying to cut down on my fuel cost.

Your saying I can propbly mix unleaded wtih nitro? Or are you pulling my chain?

I have asked this question before in the convershion forms with not much repsonce.

Thanks for the info
Old 10-17-2011, 08:11 PM
aussiesteve

This is a thread that might help you out on Gas / Glow.
The OP of it has been doing it a long time now - follow his instructions to the letter and enjoy the benefits.

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8009384/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm[/link]
Old 10-18-2011, 10:05 AM
dogshome

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9313390/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9313390/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm[/link]

Did my ASP 180 two years ago. No problemo!
Old 10-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The big Saito's work out really good converted. I've done several and each has worked out great. There is a fellow that posts over on the conversion threads called Maximiliano Galvez that can sell you a complete kit to convert one. I personally used the CH brand of ignition and Bill also helped out with some the other parts. I've also used the RCexl CDI's and they work great as well. Don't go over 20:1 on your oil ratio and you'll be just fine. Any less oil and the exhaust valve starts to stick in the guide fairly often and must be removed and cleaned. I also have had better luck using Redline Two Stroke Racing or The Redline Kart oil. (They are the same oil just in a different bottle) It doesn't leave as much carbon on the exhaust valve as most other oils.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:30 PM
mikes68charger

Sounds great !! I just PM him Im hopeing to here back soon.

What do you think about adding a little nito fuel to lower the compbusion temp down some?

Thanks Mike
Old 10-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

I have been doing quite a few conversions myself, I have done a couple of 4 stroke twins the OS 160 4 stroke ran well, but you need to flip it like your mad at it to get it to start by hand, However with a starter just bump it and it was running. The other larger twin was a 270 Saito still working the bugs out of that one. It runs fine just won't take the throttle as fast as I want,the carb is a little to large i'm thinking but it does show some promise. Follow what W8ye said and go with the small plug on the Saitos, but open the gap up a little for better fire and easier starts.
16-1 to 20-1 oil is correct depending on how hard your going to work the engine.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:41 AM
mikes68charger

I Just cant belive with all the peaple who want to convert that no one sells a complet kit. ?
Old 10-20-2011, 08:30 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This guy does

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10746189/tm.htm

And there are a couple other guys on here that will convert your engine for you.