Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Spark Plug Identification

Old 11-25-2011, 01:17 PM
GeraldRosebery
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plug Identification

Hi guys,

The plug in the photo comes from an SV 50 cc engine. Can anyone identify the type of plug (perhaps an NGK equivalent?) as it has nothing at all (i.e. Chinese copy) etched on it or printed on it. It has a 10 mm thread and the total reach from the plug shoulder to the end of the tip is about 3/8" (7 - 8 mm)

Thanks for any input.

Gerry Rosebery
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55125.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	1691108  
Old 11-25-2011, 01:24 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Spark Plug Identification

Chinese copy of a CM6...Some work, most don't...Get a real NGK CM6,,,,
Old 11-25-2011, 01:27 PM
GeraldRosebery
My Feedback: (14)

Thanks for that input. a number of my fellow modelers have had bad experiences with fake Chinese plugs. I shall order the CM6.

Gerry Rosebery
Old 11-25-2011, 02:26 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

ORIGINAL: GeraldRosebery

Thanks for that input. a number of my fellow modelers have had bad experiences with fake Chinese plugs. I shall order the CM6.

Gerry Rosebery
While we all refer to the NHK plug as a CM-6 and that is correct, NGK's actual stock number is 5812. Many people can't find these plugs at auto parts and other outlets because most of their listings only refer to the 5812 #. If you just ask for a CM-6, you might get that 100 yard stare from across the counter.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:43 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

Also;

Honda number is 98052-56471, it's an NGK CM-6 in a Honda box.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Antique

Denso U20MU is the same size plug, $1.87...Do a Google search, they're out there....
Old 11-25-2011, 05:24 PM
STUKA BARRY

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

Gerry Rosebery
While we all refer to the NHK plug as a CM-6 and that is correct, NGK's actual stock number is 5812. Many people can't find these plugs at auto parts and other outlets because most of their listings only refer to the 5812 #. If you just ask for a CM-6, you might get that 100 yard stare from across the counter.
A well trained parts associate would be able to cross reference the #'s. OReilleys Auto Parts sells them all day long for $3.65 a plug. Make sure to check the gap, .020-.022 before installing.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:52 PM
Whistling Death

Gerry Rosebery
They aren't fake, they are genuine imitations.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:30 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

ORIGINAL: STUKA BARRY

Gerry Rosebery
A well trained parts associate would be able to cross reference the #'s. OReilleys Auto Parts sells them all day long for $3.65 a plug. Make sure to check the gap, .020-.022 before installing.
I would venture to say the average automotive parts store guy has never seen a CM-6 before. I have bought them at several stores including O'Reilleys, NAPA and Advance auto parts and they had to come from the warehouse in all cases.... picked up next day. In each case, I had to tell the parts person the 5812 p/n as they didn't show a cross reference when I told them CM-6. Carquest does show a cross reference on their screens. The operative word here is "trained parts associate" ..... NOT. Most parts counter people could care less about digging for a cross reference #. Do the research yourself before going to pick up the parts and you will have no problems.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:49 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: STUKA BARRY

Gerry Rosebery
I would venture to say the average automotive parts store guy has never seen a CM-6 before. I have bought them at several stores including O'Reilleys, NAPA and Advance auto parts and they had to come from the warehouse in all cases.... picked up next day. In each case, I had to tell the parts person the 5812 p/n as they didn't show a cross reference when I told them CM-6. Carquest does show a cross reference on their screens. The operative word here is "trained parts associate" ..... NOT. Most parts counter people could care less about digging for a cross reference #. Do the research yourself before going to pick up the parts and you will have no problems.
Been there and experienced all that +1

Old 11-25-2011, 09:40 PM
Antique

[email protected]
20 plugs, $44 shipped.....
Old 11-26-2011, 12:24 AM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

Mate, while you're at it ... swap out "the next higher assembly" .. the original one will be about as impressive as the plug that came in it