dle 20 break in

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 04:39 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: dle 20 break in

ORIGINAL: Antique

More oil is better, proven many times....32-1 is fine for any 2 stroke on the planet...

I dug out one of my old Mac kart racing engines the other day, actually my parents were cleaning up a shed and said they would throw it away if I didn't pic it up.
Anyway, on the badge it said to mix non detergent 30w motor oil at 16-32:1. I have a feeling we have much better oils than 40 years ago, but I still find an oil that is mixed in the 40:1 range.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:10 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In 1956 I bought a 5 hp Johnson outboard boat motor.

I sold it last year and it still ran like new.

It ran the 30 wt car motor oil for many years at 24:1. In the last 40 years it has had various brands of outboard 2 cycle dyno oil in it.

In 1961 I put spark plugs, points, and a new water pump in it. In the early years I had to install new fuel lines every year.

In 1970 I installed new coils, points, fuel lines, and spark plugs. I also bought a new pressurized 6 gal tank for it.

Since 1970, I had done nothing to it until 1992 when I replaced the recoil spring.

The point is that there was never any problem with the carb or inside the engine itself in those 54 yrs.

I sold it to my BIL and he hasn't done anythinng to it except use it last year and this year.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:57 AM
RTK

We are much better off today with our better oils, although I still would not run anything near 100:1

Nothing like one of those old johnsons that keep on running and running. How did we ever get by
Old 12-03-2011, 11:28 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just like a John Deere Farm Tractor....they will run forever with the modern oil that is very good. Far better than the oils of old time. Capt,n
Old 12-03-2011, 11:29 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Standard oil mix was 1/2 pint oil to 1 gallon gas...Our old 4 1/2 horse 1946 Champion outboard would start on the first pull most of the time and idle for hours while trolling...Can't remember ever fouling a spark plug....
Old 12-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of those old two strokes were really amazing.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:39 PM
aa2dd

I get a kick out of the oil debates. However, I have a question. I am running a DLE 20. The Gasoline i am using is Sunoco mid grade ethenol (s) free. Oil was Penns oil mixed at 32:1. After reading many posts, decided to change oils. Mixed up a batch with Castrol 2 cycle oil. 32:1 same as before. The engine went from strong to insane! it screams and runs smoother, and stronger. I am using a 16x8 prop and now it will actually turn up enough to make the prop rip flying flat and level. If anyone had told me that a change in oil would make this change, I would have said " your nuts dude" Been flying since the 50's and never seen this before. what's happening guys? How can an oil make this much difference in how an engine runs?

Bruce
aa2dd
Old 12-03-2011, 04:06 PM
aussiesteve

ORIGINAL: aa2dd

I get a kick out of the oil debates. However, I have a question. I am running a DLE 20. The Gasoline i am using is Sunoco mid grade ethenol (s) free. Oil was Penns oil mixed at 32:1. After reading many posts, decided to change oils. Mixed up a batch with Castrol 2 cycle oil. 32:1 same as before. The engine went from strong to insane! it screams and runs smoother, and stronger. I am using a 16x8 prop and now it will actually turn up enough to make the prop rip flying flat and level. If anyone had told me that a change in oil would make this change, I would have said '' your nuts dude'' Been flying since the 50's and never seen this before. what's happening guys? How can an oil make this much difference in how an engine runs?

Bruce
aa2dd
Most likely your engine wasn't tuned well before the change and the change in fuel (fuelil mix = fuel) is better suited to your state of tune. Try tuning the enigne properly then be even more amazed at how much improvement there is.

Different oils have differnt viscosity, adhesion and cohesion properties. A change in oil or oil ratio can make a significant difference in the tuning requirements of an engine, other times it may not but more than likley you have gone from one type of base oil to a very differnt one (you just say Castrol but that brand makes many different types of oils.).

Old 12-03-2011, 04:39 PM
aa2dd

Hi aussiesteve

you may be correct. I would have to go look at the bottle, i bought the castrol at yamaha shop. think maybe k2 or something like that.
I have found the carb settings on the dl 20 to be quite touchy. I think i am still a bit lean on lo setting yet. It winds so high now that i am a bit nervous about running at full throttle. Changed prop today, to a Vess 17x6. maybe i'll get a chance to try that combo out tomorrow. Every time i run this engine, i like it more and more! The first version blew up on me! crank pin busted and tore up everything except cylinder. Bought all the parts, rebuilt, and it is a screamin demon!

Bruce

aa2dd
Old 12-03-2011, 08:48 PM
RTK

Steve's correct in his statement
Old 12-04-2011, 01:00 AM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: aa2dd

I have found the carb settings on the dl 20 to be quite touchy. I think i am still a bit lean on lo setting yet. It winds so high now that i am a bit nervous about running at full throttle. Changed prop today, to a Vess 17x6. maybe i'll get a chance to try that combo out tomorrow. Every time i run this engine, i like it more and more! ............................

Bruce

aa2dd
I have 2 of these DLE20cc gassers, and both are great running engines, but a bit touchy to tune.
On one I run a Xoar 16 x 6 (only because of prop-to-ground clearance issues), the other I run a Vess 17 x 6.
The Vess 17 x 6 is clearly my favorite, but a Xoar 17 x 6 is darn close to it.

*Tuning tip*.....
When you tune the LS/HS needles make sure you FIRST fully warm up the engine for say 4-5 minutes, THEN start tuning.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Jim, let it warm up completely before starting to tune. As far as the Vess props go, they are good, just too darn easy to break. I tend to stick with the XOAR for that reason.