Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Fuel Barb Soldering Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 03:01 PM
Whistling Death

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Barb Soldering Help Please!

ORIGINAL: tande

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

i used to use barbs when i used conventional tanks... now i use threaded fitting that are barbed, and stopper free

barbs are a pain in the ass when it come time to change the stopper....
+1.....Stopper style tanks are old/hat....With the ''New''gasoline blends, it's ONLY a matter of time when your ''Stopper'' will fail & leak fuel all over the inside of your fuze....This is now the best way to set/up a ''Gasser'' fuel tank http://pspmfg.com/FijiAluminumwaterb...eltankcap.html FWIW, I attend the ''Xtreme/Flight'' international competition event each year (as a spectator) this year I did a survey; could not find a SINGLE flier using the old style ''Stopper'' type fuel tanks....Just say'in........(& no, I have NO connections with ''PSP''...)
I have never has a single stopper style tank fail because of methanol blends. Just like modern carburetors don't fail because of methanol blends.
There is no "this is now the best way to set a gasser fuel tank" but just what's the new thing everybody is doing. I'm not surprised you saw everyone using the same setup on the fuel system at a 3D event.
If you set up the "old hat" process properly you will be just fine.
I'm certainly not saying this latest and greatest isn't a good idea because it is. I'm just saying the stopper tanks aren't broke just because of what they do at 3D events.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Hibrass
My Feedback: (1)

I have to admit I use barbs and zip ties on everything... The real trick that has been touch on a bit. It to use something as heatsink between the stopper and the barb you are soldering... I use a big aligator clip. But most importantly make sure your Iron is at max temp and tinned before you put it to your barb. I little flux on the barb and tube joint and touch your tinned iron to the joint and the just hold it in one spot until the flux sizzles and then you we see the tinned solder flow into the joint. As soon as it starts to flow pull away an let cool completely before doing the other end of tube or move to the next tube depending on your line setup... Hope this helps...

Ed "I solder everything." Harley
Old 12-10-2011, 04:21 PM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

If you ever try a Fortitude fuel tank, I promise you'll never use anything else. No soldering and the line that comes with them has to be cut off once its put on.

http://www.aerographix.biz/fuel_tanks.htm
Old 12-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I've been using these tanks for 3D and everything else for a few months now and I love it.

http://jandlproducts.stores.yahoo.net/rofusy1.html

As far as soldering goes, use No-Korode soldering flux in the black and white can. Make sure it's regular and not water soluble.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59785.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	1698228   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42524.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	1698229  
Old 12-10-2011, 06:04 PM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

I use the next size of tubing to make barbs. Stick a drill bit in the end and roll the tubing with a razor knife. You can make them as wide as you want. Then solder the piece on the tubing. Doesn't make a big thick barb type of connection but enough to provide a little more diameter/friction. I only do this when I'm not in a hurry. The rest of the time I use zip ties or wire.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:20 PM
tande
My Feedback: (48)

[/quote]
I have never has a single stopper style tank fail because of methanol blends. Just like modern carburetors don't fail because of methanol blends.
There is no ''this is now the best way to set a gasser fuel tank'' but just what's the new thing everybody is doing. I'm not surprised you saw everyone using the same setup on the fuel system at a 3D event.
If you set up the ''old hat'' process properly you will be just fine.
I'm certainly not saying this latest and greatest isn't a good idea because it is. I'm just saying the stopper tanks aren't broke just because of what they do at 3D events.
[/quote]
IMHO, the notion of taking a piece of rubber & cramming it in a hole, then apply squeezing pressure to both sides in the hope that it doesn't leak, is about as primitive as it gets.....then again there are people that still think the "Model A Ford" was the best automobile ever built.....sure glad somebody came up with a better idea! ...
Old 12-10-2011, 08:33 PM
spinkgi
My Feedback: (36)

Here's a different way of keeping fuel lines attached. idea that's been around for a long time and works well.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:59 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have used the doublers in the past and they work well though with Tygon I have, at times, used a larger size for the doubler.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:26 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The simple solution

Cut a small piece of fuel tubing and stretch it with a pair of needle nose pliers, While still in the pliers put it over your fuel tubing, After it sets for a few hrs you will have to cut it to get it off

Milton
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51828.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	1698592  
Old 12-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Or use Hays molded neoprrene, small size, no barbs needed...
Old 12-11-2011, 02:06 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: BadAzzMaxx

The simple solution

Cut a small piece of fuel tubing and stretch it with a pair of needle nose pliers, While still in the pliers put it over your fuel tubing, After it sets for a few hrs you will have to cut it to get it off

Milton
Guess you know someone will make it more complicated...that is about the best way too!
Old 12-11-2011, 10:25 PM
oldtyme

ORIGINAL: tande

There is no ''this is now the best way to set a gasser fuel tank'' but just what's the new thing everybody is doing. I'm not surprised you saw everyone using the same setup on the fuel system at a 3D event.
If you set up the ''old hat'' process properly you will be just fine.
[/quote]
IMHO, the notion of taking a piece of rubber & cramming it in a hole, then apply squeezing pressure to both sides in the hope that it doesn't leak, is about as primitive as it gets.....then again there are people that still think the ''Model A Ford'' was the best automobile ever built.....sure glad somebody came up with a better idea! ...
[/quote]

This doesn't even deserve a comment...............[:-]
Old 04-09-2013, 04:51 AM
nikonlarry

I got the PSP fuel tank kit for the Fuji bottles. It came with the double barb cap, Vtion hose, brass pipe, weighted clunk with Viton on the end and a brass barb. Also for the vent it came with a single barb vent pipe and gasket etc.

My question is how does it go together. Where does the brass barb go and what holds the clunk on. 

I emailed them and just got the photo that is on the web site. Called them and left a message. I am not sure how this goes together. Can anyone help. thanks