Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

XYZ ignition

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 08:07 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XYZ ignition

I crashed my DLE 30 and destroyed my ignition for it..
Since I had an XYZ ignition I bought for another abandoned project I installed it on the DLE.
It runs the engine fine but I can't hand start it. I had to use a starter
Does the XYZ ignition have a curve to allow hand starting and I have it advanced too far?
Or is it just a fixed timing and I am going to have to use a starter?
Old 02-25-2012, 08:48 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: XYZ ignition

I doubt if anyone knows much about that ignition. They are known for a high failure rate. Better to get an RCEXL ignition for it. They work very well, and the electronics in them were revised and ok'd by CH Ignitions, which made the best ignitions there was...

Try www.southeastrcengines.com , or www.valleyviewrc.com

AV8TOR
Old 02-25-2012, 01:10 PM

Where are they known for a high failure rate?
Old 02-25-2012, 04:03 PM

It has come up in other forums numerous times. Seems like they work for a while, then quit. At least that's what I have read quite a lot. I decided never to buy one due to that reason.

AV8TOR
Old 02-25-2012, 04:41 PM

My XYZ26cc came with an RCxcel ignition from the factory, and a club members XYZ50cc came with the RCxcel too.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:04 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Yep I think they wised up after all the troubles there own ign was having.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:40 PM

I took the broken rcxcel ignition apart and compared it to XYZ. They look like they came out of the same factory. The rcxcel has a metal case while the XYZ is plastic,same size. The internal layout looks very similar. I think the rcxcel is an update of the XYZ.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:07 PM

There is no way xyz is an updated RC EXL...EXL is a clone of C&H, acknowledged to be the best model airplane ignition ever made...A close copy, maybe [>:]
Old 02-26-2012, 01:49 AM
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

....................I think the rcxcel is an update of the XYZ.
Now that's funny!
Sort of like getting the buggy in front of the horse.[X(]
Old 02-26-2012, 08:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Antique

There is no way xyz is an updated RC EXL...EXL is a clone of C&H, acknowledged to be the best model airplane ignition ever made...A close copy, maybe [>:]
A clone of a clone?
Old 02-26-2012, 08:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Cyberwolf

Yep I think they wised up after all the troubles there own ign was having.
Please let me know where they were having trouble. I would like to know what they were having trouble with. I have three of them and they all seem to work.
I am just flying one. The only thing is I have found I need to use a starter or get bruised fingers.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:53 AM

I am happy that your having such good luck with your XYZ Ign's, as a rule if I want to know something about a certain product I do a search and see for myself, I suggest you do the same.
BTW I don't think getting bruised fingers is the greatest of luck myself.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:05 AM

If it kicks back it's either timed wrong or bad...I have a Quadra Aerrow 100 single here and a Sachs 5.8 single just converted...Either one starts with two fingers flipping the prop, they will NOT kick back...I am using RC EXL ignitions just received from Xu Liang....I buy 10 at a time, my name is on the box....
Old 02-26-2012, 11:15 AM

I am happy that your having such good luck with your XYZ Ign's, as a rule if I want to know something about a certain product I do a search and see for myself, I suggest you do the same.
BTW I don't think getting bruised fingers is the greatest of luck myself.
Being a retired software engineer searching the internet for information is what I do most of the day. Since I found few cases where anyone actually had and used one I decided to ask here.
Have you owned one?
Unfortunately, most internet searches turn up hearsay.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:23 AM

If it kicks back it's either timed wrong or bad...I have a Quadra Aerrow 100 single here and a Sachs 5.8 single just converted...Either one starts with two fingers flipping the prop, they will NOT kick back...I am using RC EXL ignitions just received from Xu Liang....I buy 10 at a time, my name is on the box....
I used C&H's timing wheel to check it but I have to admit I wasn't very precise. The DLE runs great when I fly it.
Have you tried one of the XYZ's?
If you are selling RC XCL's PM me with your price.
I tried to get one from Xu Liang some time ago but he said I would have to deal thru C&H. That turned me off.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:24 PM

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

I used C&H's timing wheel to check it but I have to admit I wasn't very precise. The DLE runs great when I fly it.
Have you tried one of the XYZ's?
If you are selling RC XCL's PM me with your price.
I tried to get one from Xu Liang some time ago but he said I would have to deal thru C&H. That turned me off.
AGAPE RACING out of Richmond VA. sells RCExcel ignitions for $60.00 all day long. They even have ignitions for twins.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:36 PM

RCEXL:

southeastrcengine.com
valleyviewrc.com
milehighrc.com

And others. E-bay too.

AV8TOR
Old 02-26-2012, 03:54 PM

I just buy to use for conversions...Don't want to upser the applecart, like what happened with DLE engines....They quit selling to Chinese wholesalers.....looks like authorized dealers didn't want the competition....
Old 02-26-2012, 04:17 PM

I almost push the button on one one time due to the cost factor then decided against it after doing a little reading.
No I have not owned one and never will, untill Bill closed the doors all my IGNS was C&H now I have a mixture of both RCxell and C&H.
Talking to Bill @ C&H he told me that RCxell was almost a direct copy of his IGN part for part, but the plug lead can't be changed in the RCxell like it can in the C&H.
Now I get my IGN's from Agape or Wrong Way RC, I think Agape is the better of the two at prices by a little and shipping is less or was less.
Agree with Ralph also if it's kicking back the timing is to fast, or the IGN is not retarding itself like it is supposed to. 28-30 degrees BTDC is what most should be set at, at least the ones I use. But a small engine like a 26 must be way off if it is actually kicking back hard enough to hurt a person.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:30 PM

Old 02-26-2012, 07:52 PM

I almost push the button on one one time due to the cost factor then decided against it after doing a little reading.
No I have not owned one and never will, untill Bill closed the doors all my IGNS was C&H now I have a mixture of both RCxell and C&H.
Talking to Bill @ C&H he told me that RCxell was almost a direct copy of his IGN part for part, but the plug lead can't be changed in the RCxell like it can in the C&H.
Now I get my IGN's from Agape or Wrong Way RC, I think Agape is the better of the two at prices by a little and shipping is less or was less.
Agree with Ralph also if it's kicking back the timing is to fast, or the IGN is not retarding itself like it is supposed to. 28-30 degrees BTDC is what most should be set at, at least the ones I use. But a small engine like a 26 must be way off if it is actually kicking back hard enough to hurt a person.
If you have never owned one and will never will what are you doing on this thread?
Go back and look at my first post. I asked a question directed to people that have experience with the unit and what I get from you is the product worthless. And you admit you have no basis for that statement.
BTW early C&H units did not have a delay in them.
Again I ask, does the XYZ have that delay?
Please just answer the question if you know it, and don't bore us with worthless opinions.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:17 AM

Very early, 15 years ago maybe...When Ed Vollmer invented syncro spark it was all over for anyone else."
Old 02-27-2012, 05:57 AM

Very early, 15 years ago maybe...When Ed Vollmer invented syncro spark it was all over for anyone else.''
I have one of yours that does not have syncro spark in it. It works by rotating the pick up around the shaft via mechanical linkage. Its on a G-62 and it works just great.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:48 AM

Yup, I made all mine that way. When I could get the syncro from Ed I changed..Saves a little weight without the ball bearing for the sensor ring..With the rear carb engines it's easier without the linkage....
Mechnical advance is linear from idle to WOT, instead of full at 4000. Some l ike it better...
Old 02-27-2012, 07:06 AM

THis is not about an ign its about the fact that you are to lazy to do some looking to find out what others already know. I don't believe everything that I read by a long ways but after so many say its a fact it must be a fact.
After so many say it's not up to par I have a tendency to believe them. I'm not sure why you picked me out to do your vent on but bring it on I have broad shoulders and there is nothing you can say or do that will make me believe that IGN is worth taking home.
Saying it is a RCxcell in a plastic case just shows how little you actually know about the whole situation, Compairing a C&H to a cheap chinese ign is a joke in itself. It dosent matter what sort of an advance it has.
Read my original post again I said they finally wised up and started useing the RCxell ign,nothing more, I was not addressing you in particular just a blanket statment. Now you want to make it personal. Well guess what? They have or at least the ign is branded as such.
Who are you to tell me what I can or can't do anyway this is a free forum and any or all feedback is supposed to be welcome that includes things some don't want to hear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.