Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Need some help with selecting an engine

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Need some help with selecting an engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 05:07 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Need some help with selecting an engine

I got a 46% ultimate, Hanger 9 and when this model was fresh on the street everyone seemed to run the DA 150 or a 150 size. I was just wondering how the DA 150 compares to the 170?
I knows it obviously stronger but for this plane would it be worth getting the 170 or just sticking with the 150? Im a 3D guy so im looking for best power to weight since the plane has to be as light as possible.

Also whats the best muffler to use for these, I read they have mid range issue and the 170 was having some minor problems but thats forum talk. Are the the stock cans best or should I get one of these new pipes that is designed to make mid range smooth? Grieves pipe or tuned pipe not sure which. I had a DA 100 with cans but quickly learned 3D was working with cans.

Thanks up front
Old 04-06-2012, 05:41 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts
Default RE: Need some help with selecting an engine

I have flown one with a 150 and it was dissapointing. I have not run a DA 170 myself but have not heard anything about poor midrange. I have owned a 3W 170 and was very happy with it. The standard mufflers will work best as it would be nearly impossible to fit pipes or cans in that airplane.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:06 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

what did u find bad about the 150
Old 04-06-2012, 07:30 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I just didn't think it had enough power to haul a 43 lb high drag airplane. I read that other guys are saying that pipes or cans would be an easy install but for the life of me I would not have been able to do it without a ton of mods. To get the correct header length the cans would be about 3" past the lower wing tube. One thing that I suggest is after you have the tail hinged, drill through the surface where the hinge is and wet install 8-32 nylon screws and nuts through the surface and hinge.