Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

4-cycle petrol engines

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 03:28 AM
michaelchow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 4-cycle petrol engines

Sir, it is a design drawing with 38cc, but someone modified it as 88cc, I don't why this happened. it is just in  manufacture, can't confirm the show time.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:52 AM
Turk1

Aye,Pope.Thanks.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:16 AM
Kruzer

Here's a (newish) but noteworthy member of the f-stroke family...
Out of India sold by Horizon as the Evolution 260cc 7cyl radial.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ0CKf9Wtxg
Old 04-19-2012, 02:41 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JUst engines UK just released a 2strk gasser 60 size 9.07cc martin

they also have ignition kits to convert both 2 and 4 strk to gas
Old 04-19-2012, 03:54 PM
the pope

ORIGINAL: Turk1

Aye,Pope.Thanks.
Gotta stick up for a fellow anzac . 25th april anzac day Google it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-19-2012, 04:06 PM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

steve i have one of your engines and it is a great engine yda 56cc it is a awsome engine i put it in the class of DA SN 01003 wish you still made them
Old 04-19-2012, 09:16 PM
Turk1

ORIGINAL: the pope

Aye,Pope.Thanks.
Gotta stick up for a fellow anzac . 25th april anzac day Google it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hehehe no need to Google up,your fellows a lot will be here for a special commemoration.The day of disembarkment.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:08 AM
the pope

ORIGINAL: the pope

Aye,Pope.Thanks.
Hehehe no need to Google up,your fellows a lot will be here for a special commemoration.The day of disembarkment.
Howdy Turk from the reports we got back here in aus the last anzac day over your way was a bit of a disgrace . With the young aussies getting drunk and carrying on etc . That ***** wouldnt fly over here and they should be ashamed of themselves. This is a very sacred day for us and while nobody would begrudge them having a beer etc etc , I guess its a sign of the times . Cheers the pope
Old 04-21-2012, 05:34 PM
mpascual
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Andika

ORIGINAL: JeffinTD

Awesome engines, but if the OP was looking for cheaper than Saito...
OS and ASP coverting your glow engine to gas or just install a CDI module and run it without nitro.
http://www.justengines.co.uk/acatalo...xperience.html

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve

My award for the best overall response so far goes to Andika for
As you know Turk1 is a NGH/JBA fanboy in RCU, FG and RCG forums... [img][/img]
anyhow the new NGH 4 stroke gas engine is too big for the OPs project.

I'm curious :
ANDIKA , are you sure you're from From: N/A, CA, USA as your signature says ?
You're registered on some spanish forums also , writing the same words on a perfect spanish language against JBA first and now against NGH engines.

Maybe Turk1 is a fanboy of NGH/JBA, because he has tried some engines of this manufacturer.
Have you tried any time to get a JBA/NGH engine , purchased one or ask for a sample engine to the manufacturer ?
Have you tried one on your airplanes/helicopters ?

Regards
Old 04-22-2012, 06:06 AM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

When gas is $7.00 a gallon plus $1.00 for good oil will we still be flying gas or converting back to Methanol @ $4.00 gallon plus $4.00 worth of oil? More power and cooler running with Methanol and the large engines properly exhausted are just as clean as gas.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:45 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: PlaneKrazee

When gas is $7.00 a gallon plus $1.00 for good oil will we still be flying gas or converting back to Methanol @ $4.00 gallon plus $4.00 worth of oil? More power and cooler running with Methanol and the large engines properly exhausted are just as clean as gas.
A question I have is: If glow engines are built with roller bearings in the connecting rod just like gas, will they require the lower amount of oil as the gas engines require?
People always complain about how slimy the glow engines are, but if the larger displacement glow engines are built with roller bearings and run at a lower oil ratio, then a bit negative is eliminated and the price of glow fuel is lower.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:48 PM
MercerAUST

I have the Saito 14cc and 20cc gas 4-stroke engines. They can be hard to tune, takes a good 10 hours to fully run in and are expensive. Once tuned, they are reliable and super-economic. I've got about 100hrs on the 14cc and 25hrs on the 20cc with everything still stock (except for the spark plugs). The 14cc is in a Pulse 60 and gets about 30 minutes flying per 100ml of gas (hard use). The 200cc is in a 14lb VQ Pilatus Porter and gets about 1 hour flying from 250ml (conservative flying).

I once worked out that I needed to fly 40 hours before I would be in profit compared to a $100 equivalent-size glow 4-stroke(taking into account the high capital cost versus cheaper fuel and greater economy). For me it has been worthwhile having the better sound, 4-stroke torque, cheap fuel and outstanding economy. It's certainly cheaper if you take a long term view, but you never know with crashes, bum products etc.

I agree with a post before about the Chinese not quite having the tooling, metalurgy and manufacturing capability to mix it with the the Japanese manufacturers like Saito, and to deliver a reliable and economic product. However, I think they are only a few years off, hence Saito madly trying to capture market share through releasing just about every glow 4-stroke as a petrol variant. The price on Saito gassers will have to come down by at least  25% or so over the next year as they capture more market share (and thus offset costs) and as the Chinese begin to release volume 4-stroke gassers as they improve their tooling. 
Old 04-28-2012, 02:10 AM
georgek54

I agree with a post before about the Chinese not quite having the tooling, metalurgy and manufacturing capability to mix it with the the Japanese manufacturers like Saito, and to deliver a reliable and economic product. However, I think they are only a few years off, hence Saito madly trying to capture market share through releasing just about every glow 4-stroke as a petrol variant. The price on Saito gassers will have to come down by at least 25% or so over the next year as they capture more market share (and thus offset costs) and as the Chinese begin to release volume 4-stroke gassers as they improve their tooling.
I totally agree with MercerAUST. It is obvious that the end of methanol-era is comming fast.

I am just wondering why big manufacturers like OS-MAX don't get the message. As far as I know they only produce one 2-stroke petrol engine, that is also extremely noisy.

I think it will happen as with KODAK company: For some reasons which I don't know, they didn't follow the digital trend, thus went bankrupt.

The same will probably happen with OS-MAX when cheap 4-stroke Chineese petrol engines will appear on the market. Who is going then to buy 4-stroke methanol engines?

Kind Regards

George
Old 04-28-2012, 04:25 AM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

correct me if , but i thought petrol means diesel
Old 04-28-2012, 05:46 AM
georgek54

Perhaps the most correct term is "gas" or "gasoline" engines, but petrol is also widely used.

See for example this Al's Hobbies registration:

http://alshobbies.com/shop/cat.php?id=703

"Saito FG-14/82 Petrol Engine

Development of the Saito FG series of petrol engines continues apace.

£379.00 including 20.00% VAT"

or this MacGregor Industries registration:

http://www.macgregor.co.uk/saito.htm

"Saito Four-Stroke Glow & Petrol Engines, Spares & Accessories

Saito have perfected four-stroke engine technology for RC model aircraft. Using a unique one-piece hemispherical head design, they produce power-to-weight ratios that are superior to anything else in their class. They also have an unmistakable sound that is guaranteed to grab attention at the flying field."

I don't know, maybe in Europe the term "Petrol" is more commonly used.

Here in Greece we use the term "benzin" for gasoline, as also in Germany ("Benzin motors")

Best Regards

George

Old 04-29-2012, 07:31 PM
MercerAUST

In Australia, petrol means what the Americans call 'gas'. Diesel is diesel the world over (I think). Gas is either LPG (Liquid Petroluem Gas) or CNG (Compressed Natrual Gas).
Old 04-30-2012, 02:00 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline
Old 04-30-2012, 10:12 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yet another kind of gas....a big FART !!!
Old 05-01-2012, 04:23 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

that would be methane, captin
Old 02-06-2013, 01:46 AM
georgek54

Anything heard about the new OS-MAX 4-stroke petrol engine?

Been iformed that OS-MAX will launch this 40 cc engine by end of 2013, but couldn't find any relevant inofrmation, even in OS official SITE.

Surely, big manufacturers have been surprised by the appearance of cheap Chineese 4-stroke petrol engines on the market and are now making their movement.

Regards

George
Old 02-06-2013, 01:57 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

I am just wondering: Why the Chinese didn't copy (yet) SAITO engines? Is there some kind of patent pending?

I had to laugh at that - China, honoring a patent? [8D]

Folks have been converting Honda 4-strokes for a while. Not powerhouses tho IIRC. 
Old 02-06-2013, 08:18 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Andika

ORIGINAL: JeffinTD

Awesome engines, but if the OP was looking for cheaper than Saito...
OS and ASP coverting your glow engine to gas or just install a CDI module and run it without nitro.
http://www.justengines.co.uk/acatalo...xperience.html

Ithink there will be a market for smaller gas 4 strokes but they have to get the power up.

Im building a ESM B25 95in wing will be around 30pounds

I know its been flown withDLE20's but I want that sound.

Yes there are some gas 4 strokes out there but not in the 1.50 4c range. exsept Saito

So In my project I budgeted around $350 a motor for a total of $700

So the ASP 1.80 4c is only $230 at HK, and Im going to get a convershion kit like above for around $150 for each motor soIm in about $380 for each motor, vs the $650eachfor the same size Saito Im going to give it a try.

I also thing the ASP has more cooling fins and may work better, I got 3 guys I fly with who are wateing for me to be the test bunny.

But every one talkes about converting there nitro motors to gas, but I have yet to see a post were a bunch of peaple who did the convershion were happy or un happy.

I was thinking of getting the NGH38cc 4c for my CMP Zero, they have been out of stock for so long and only a few peaple have anything to say about them I think I will be better off using the OS40cc 4c.

This is a crazy hobby.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:48 AM
georgek54

How much do you pay for a gallon of Nitro fuel, say Morgan Coolpower 15% for example?

Here in Greece it costs 24 Euros per gallon, i.e. about 32 $.

So for large planes, with big engines, bigger than 1.20, I think fuel is an issue.

So, turn to gas, but with a reasonable cost and a reasonable (especially for scale models) sound.

Regards

George