Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

us41 in byron p51

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 09:54 AM
comanche260c

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: us41 in byron p51

its  a byron gear reduction how doyou know it wont fly it safely ?did you own one?I want to keep yhe 4 blade propit looks  tough. any way to change to bigger motor and keep big prop?
Old 06-15-2012, 01:56 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: airega1

ORIGINAL: comanche260c

Good Morning I just bought a byron p51 with us41 and it wont start .I was told it was serviced by dick barrett before he passed. It hasno choke so i choke it with my thumb. I took it apart and everything looks good and soaked it in carb cleaner.....when i choke with thumb i will get a few pops but wont fire. high needle was 3/4 open low 2 turns.I tryed 2 1/2on both also and nothing......any ideas ???????
To be quite frank, a US 41 is not going to fly a Byron mustang safely. is it a Byro Drive system or a straight prop system
+1 for the US 41 being a very marginal power source for this plane. It will fly but it will lumber into the air with very marginal performance. Yes, the 4 blade props look neat but these were terribly inefficient moldings. I'd recommend a more modern direct drive engine for flying and use the 4 blade for display. Have even seen some guys put the display prop right after flight so it was always on there when not in motion. And yes, I've seen quite a few of these planes fly when Byron was just a couple of hours up the road.

Byron went to the larger Mustang or Sachs engines later on but these engines offered only slightly better performance on the ByroDrive.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:18 PM
masteromodels
My Feedback: (11)

Depending on the weight of the P-51 means a big difference . If it was a 1 piece wing the byro drive with the Quadra 40 it flew it very realistic , mainly because the weight was held down to approx. 22 lbs. with the 2 piece wing and the weight went up so they went to the Quadra 42 and it helped a little then they tryed the Mustang 50. You need approx. 3000 to 3200 rpm to fly the plane safely and realisticaly with the quadra eng. . The US. eng. maybe a little different , but his was worked on by Bennett so I do not know if it has a little more power. Another trick was to add G-38 module to the Quadra and it was suppose to add another couple of 100 RPM's. The change was a drop in, I did it on my 1 piece wing P-51 with a Quadra 40 and it did make a little difference, plus the more you run the Quadra the better it will get. Don't give up the 4 blade, that is what sets the Byron Mustang apart from others. If you do not care then build a different kit and go to direct drive and a 2 blade prop for the best eficiency.

thanks Bob
Old 06-15-2012, 05:14 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

As they say, back in the day I witnessed quite a few Mustangs lumber into the air with these drives ... often with less than great results and even disaster at times. This was often considered normal in those days because there were not many great engines (or props) available. Not the case today where we have almost unlimited choices for reliable power that will guaranteed success.

If it were mine, I wouldn't risk a Byron airframe to this powerplant combination. But then ... it isn't my airplane. I will admit the big 4 blade prop does look cool.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:16 PM
FL Phathom
My Feedback: (-1)

ORIGINAL: comanche260c

its a byron gear reduction how doyou know it wont fly it safely ?did you own one?I want to keep yhe 4 blade propit looks tough. any way to change to bigger motor and keep big prop?
Yes I had one with a Q-42 byro drive and 4 blader, it was very difficult to control the torque on take off, and it flew it marginally. I replaced it with a Q-52 straight drive and a 22x8 and it turned into a sweet flying airplane, as with all mustangs, low speed or deadsticks can ruin your day. To be frank once more, the 4 blader looks hot, but use it for static because they do nothing in the air, especially the rubbery 24x10 that comes with the byron kit.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:18 PM
comanche260c

FL PHATHOM  was that q52 enough power?im thinking of a 3w 75 in it..You think thats to big? and if  so  what motor will fit in it??
Old 06-17-2012, 05:07 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the difference in quality , between 3W and Quadra is pretty obvious . A 3W 75 Would not be too big for a byron , BUT
ITS probly going to give you more nose weight , if it doesn't make the plane too heavy in the front , go for it. i think the 3W
IS 7 pounds
Old 06-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Todd D
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Masteromodels-

Could you elaborate on the add a g38 module statement? I have a Byron 'stang with Q42 and am having ignition problems. The coil for the Q42 is no longer available and if the IGN coil set up for the G38 works that may be my ticket.

Thanks for the help and your dead right, NEVER take the 4 blade off the Byron Mustang. Looks way too cool in the air and is a blast to fly in formation when you get more then on up at a time.

If you want a Mustang that will fly with the modern engine go ahead and get a more modern airframe where you can use a engine with electronic ign and a two blade prop. The Byron is a classic!