Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

HT lead splice

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 01:06 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HT lead splice

Is it possible to replace the spark plug lead on the ignition. How about splicing the lead . Has anyone done that successfully?
Old 06-25-2012, 01:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: HT lead splice

https://www.dlenginesaustralia.com/d...epair-kit.html

http://www.dlenginesaustralia.com/docs/hv-lead-repair.pdf
Old 06-25-2012, 01:56 PM
mpascual
My Feedback: (1)

Yes , i've done it sucessfully on RCEXL ignitions.
I've got a spark plug lead repair kit and here is the result:

(Sorry for spanish words on pictures, but i don't have a english version yet)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28147.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	1775677   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25686.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	1775678  
Old 06-26-2012, 02:12 AM
Tony Hallo

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Learned something today, off to a good start already.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:40 AM
mpascual

My procedure to replace the damaged ignition lead is slighty diferent than explained in the PDF file.
I will post the procedure when i finish translation to english

Best regards
Old 06-26-2012, 10:50 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmm, that would worry me. Splicing a high tension line like that, I just don't know..... I don't think I would do it on anything but a "disposable plane".

AV8TOR
Old 06-26-2012, 11:30 AM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

Hmmmm, that would worry me. Splicing a high tension line like that, I just don't know..... I don't think I would do it on anything but a ''disposable plane''.

AV8TOR
Why? Don't you trust your own work?
Old 06-26-2012, 11:52 AM
av8tor1977

I have tried many times to splice or repair high tension leads on automotive applications, and they pretty much always "leak", or spark if anywhere near metal. I have also tried unsuccessfully to make an insulated pair of pliers that would keep me from getting shocked while pulling plug wires on a car while it was running to determine a dead cylinder. No deal there either; I always get "zapped".

I would worry that no matter how well you spliced it, once that original uninterrupted insulation is broken, the wire would always be suspect. That piece of heat shrink, even with the original insulation glued back together, just won't have the integrity of the original, unmolested wire. Besides erratic running or possible engine stoppage if the splice "leaks", think of the RF noise......

A new unit is only 50 bucks. Is that worth risking it?

AV8TOR
Old 06-26-2012, 12:28 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

I have tried many times to splice or repair high tension leads on automotive applications, and they pretty much always ''leak'', or spark if anywhere near metal. I have also tried unsuccessfully to make an insulated pair of pliers that would keep me from getting shocked while pulling plug wires on a car while it was running to determine a dead cylinder. No deal there either; I always get ''zapped''.

I would worry that no matter how well you spliced it, once that original uninterrupted insulation is broken, the wire would always be suspect. That piece of heat shrink, even with the original insulation glued back together, just won't have the integrity of the original, unmolested wire. Besides erratic running or possible engine stoppage if the splice ''leaks'', think of the RF noise......

A new unit is only 50 bucks. Is that worth risking it?

AV8TOR
I tend to agree. If the line is shielded, the shield will require re-installation correctly.
There is of course is no guarantee that the repair of the insulation will work properly. Silicone rubber can be finicky material. One would likely use RTV silicone which often has air bubbles trapped in it. High voltage will cause these air bubbles to sintillate and a corona discharge could occur. We don't want any corona, let alone discharge, to happen in an RC model

Avi8tr have you removed the original wire from the CDI and installed a fresh piece?
Old 06-26-2012, 02:22 PM
dirtybird

I would think that if a tube of some dielectric material were placed over the joint between the lead and the shield and held in place with silicone glue it would be safe if the lead were not subjected to further flexing. In fact I have made such a repair and it seems to work but I haven't tried to use it.
BTW $50 is a sum I can use if I can save it by a simple repair.
I don't think I would try to repair a car this way but in that application the ignition is not permanently attached to the lead.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:33 AM
mpascual

Why the manufacturer of ignition (RCEXL) offer a HT wire repair kit ?
Old 06-27-2012, 09:08 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The "bump" at the splice causes a capacitance problem and potential loss
Old 06-27-2012, 09:33 AM
av8tor1977

ORIGINAL: mpascual

Why the manufacturer of ignition (RCEXL) offer a HT wire repair kit ?
They also sell electric airplanes, but I wouldn't want MY daughter to marry one....

AV8TOR
Old 06-27-2012, 09:49 AM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: w8ye

The ''bump'' at the splice causes a capacitance problem and potential loss
I guess I don't see what you are driving at. This is not a transmission line where you are concerned with maximum transfer of energy. Its just a wire carrying a charge that gets shorted out at the end by the spark. Your only concern is that it don't get shorted before it gets to the end of the wire.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:44 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Most of the responses are usual "can't" when someone wants to repair something. As mpascual (OP) asks, "then why does RCXel make a repair kit?"

Some of you are overthinking the issue. Repair it and if it runs fine move on. Not everyone can wipe their rear with $50.00 so if a $10.00 repair works why the concern?
Old 06-27-2012, 12:15 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: Dick T.

Most of the responses are usual ''can't'' when someone wants to repair something. As mpascual (OP) asks, ''then why does RCXel make a repair kit?''

Some of you are overthinking the issue. Repair it and if it runs fine move on. Not everyone can wipe their rear with $50.00 so if a $10.00 repair works why the concern?
Absolutely right!! Some have the knowledge and capability to do such a repair...

If the repair is botched, it will possibly mean the loss of the model from RFI wiping out the RX. The 50$ may become much more.

Reminds me of the time when I lost a finger caused by a balky mower I bought for 25$....but that's another story
Old 06-27-2012, 07:30 PM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: MTK

ORIGINAL: Dick T.

Most of the responses are usual ''can't'' when someone wants to repair something. As mpascual (OP) asks, ''then why does RCXel make a repair kit?''

Absolutely right!! Some have the knowledge and capability to do such a repair...

If the repair is botched, it will possibly mean the loss of the model from RFI wiping out the RX. The 50$ may become much more.

Reminds me of the time when I lost a finger caused by a balky mower I bought for 25$....but that's another story
I guess it depends on your flying situation. For me it just means a dead engine and a deadstick landing. When I started this foolishness all landings were deadstick. If you are flying 3D, a dead engine means a lost airplane. BTW with a dead engine you don't have RFI.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:13 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not just replace the entire length of the shielded wire that has good ends on it. Just make sure it is madethe same. Capt,n
Old 06-28-2012, 06:55 AM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Why not just replace the entire length of the shielded wire that has good ends on it. Just make sure it is made the same. Capt,n
The wire shield is not the problem. The problem is the discontinuity of the insulation between the wire and the shield.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:00 AM
pilotpete2

It would be nice if the module were designed that way, it appears that the wire itself is connected inside the module, but the shield is slid over a metal ferrule outside the case and secured with heatshrink, so replacing the complete shield is easy. I tend to agree that the only risk is of the spark jumping to the shield at the point of repair. That would only result in a deadstick, now the wing loading and weight of the model may have something to do with how serious that situation is. A four Star 120 with a DLE 20, not so much
Pete
Old 06-28-2012, 04:05 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: pilotpete2

It would be nice if the module were designed that way, it appears that the wire itself is connected inside the module, but the shield is slid over a metal ferrule outside the case and secured with heatshrink, so replacing the complete shield is easy. I tend to agree that the only risk is of the spark jumping to the shield at the point of repair. That would only result in a deadstick, now the wing loading and weight of the model may have something to do with how serious that situation is. A four Star 120 with a DLE 20, not so much
Pete

The repair shown by the OP probably works just fine and flying it will prove, or disprove its value. Sophisticated test equipment can tell if it isn't at 100% snuff. Beyond that, if it runs fine, go fly and you have $40.00 to buy other toys.

Actually there are few instances where a flame out is a total disaster. Most dead stick crashes are preventable but the pucker factor usually gets in the way. If the 3D guy gets a woodie from hovering five feet above the runway and the fire goes out...tough! It is preventable.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:35 PM
mpascual

The pictures of replacing procedure and also a video of the result in this spanish forum:
http://www.acro3d.com/public/phpbb3/...hp?f=6&t=12140

More than 20 CDI with HT wire damaged repaired with this procedure, and no problems yet.
If someone is interested , send me a pm.
Best regards
Old 06-29-2012, 06:42 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mpascual, I was wondering if RCEXL makes a CD ignition with no advance? I would like to know....I have some friends that would like them. So would I. Thanks Capt,n
Old 06-29-2012, 10:17 PM
bcchi

That easy,how many do you want.I will send you one to test.
I no a guy that caan build them if you can get him to go to work.He wants to go flying all the time.Besides that he is old and crabby.
BCCHI
Old 06-30-2012, 03:21 AM
gr8flyer55

Captin'.... Your Hit & Miss ignition is on it's way. Mailed it Friday.

John