Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Yellow fuel line

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 04:00 PM
CB36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellow fuel line

Hi,
I have some yellow fuel line that I don't have the original packaging for. Can I assume it is for gasoline? I want to replace my black neoprene gasoline line from the tank to the carb on my Fuji 32 so I can see when it is drawing fuel before kicking on the ignition on a cold start.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:25 PM
SOLO_48
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Yellow fuel line

The only yellow fuel line that i have seen is for glow
Old 11-01-2012, 04:37 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW! Really! Never heard of Tygon. Most gas fuel lines are yellow and most are some grade of Tygon. Most glo fuelline is blue.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:39 PM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The yellow line should be for gas.The tygon tubing we get here is much stiffer than silicone glo fuel tubing and a slightly bigger inside dia too.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:46 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CB36,
Tygon has their name and F-4040-A printed on their fuel line for gas. If there is nothing printed on the line and you do not have the packaging, don't use it. Go to your hobby shop and get some fuel line for gas. You are asking all the right questions. keep them coming. Dan.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:06 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: All Day Dan

CB36,
Tygon has their name and F-4040-A printed on their fuel line for gas. If there is nothing printed on the line and you do not have the packaging, don't use it. Go to your hobby shop and get some fuel line for gas. You are asking all the right questions. keep them coming. Dan.

thats the good stuff(4040)...... there is a yellow fuel line that comes with the bigger ARFs but is junk
Old 11-01-2012, 11:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are not sure what it is just toss it, fuel line is cheap.
If you want fuel line you can see into easily, buy this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FOV1AE/?tag=twp-bl-20
Old 11-02-2012, 05:13 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: CB36

Hi,
I have some yellow fuel line that I don't have the original packaging for. Can I assume it is for gasoline? I want to replace my black neoprene gasoline line from the tank to the carb on my Fuji 32 so I can see when it is drawing fuel before kicking on the ignition on a cold start.
A simple test is cut a small piece and leave it emersed in some gasoline for a few days and check on it's condition. If gets soft and expands then it's not gas compatable.

Karol
Old 11-02-2012, 07:47 AM
56 CHEVY

You could also check out your local hardware store. The local hardware store in my area also carries Tygon in several diameters.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:52 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

I get my gas line at a hardware/farm store. It's yellow, has no markings on it, works great and is much cheaper than the LHS. I have some gas line that is blueish/green and specifically said on the package for gasoline engines but I can't recall the make.
As far as nitro line I have seen pale red, pale blue, and a bright orange. Gasoline line is typically yellow or black.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:54 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought 100' of this for $20 from a guy on ebay. Works good. Small engine repair shops will have it also.
ORIGINAL: 3136

If you are not sure what it is just toss it, fuel line is cheap.
If you want fuel line you can see into easily, buy this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FOV1AE/?tag=twp-bl-20
Old 11-02-2012, 08:39 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Color really doesn't mean a hoot anymore when it comes to fuel line. While most gas compatible fuel lines are yellow, yellow-green, or some form of blue, silicone nitro lines can be had in just about any color you could imagine. Just check out fuel line at the Tower website for some examples. The car and heli guys really eat up these colored lines.

The Oregon brand of gas line is widely available at many hardware, small engine and farm supply stores and it appears for all purposes to be the same product as genuine Tygon brand.... except for the Tygon branding on the side of the line. Tygon and Oregon are vinyl products.

I've tried the Poly-U lines that are becoming common from some vendors and I'm not at all sold on how it works. You have to heat the ends to get the line over fittings and the line is stiffer than Tygon when new. I bought this line from (2) different vendors and both examples were the same. Maybe other people's experiences are different.

Viton works OK and lasts a long time (seemingly forever) but it is stiffer than new Tygon. Mainly because all the examples I have seen have a thicker wall thickness than the standard Tygon sizes. It works great for clunk lines in larger tanks but I stick with a Tygon line for the outside plumbing.

For small tank clunk lines, I prefer the small Hayes neoprene line. But I had one package that was bad and would come apart in gasoline. I test it by soaking awhile in some gas before use now to make sure the batch I have is OK for use. A good example has almost the lifespan of Viton before it gets stiff.

At any rate, always secure lines with ty-wraps and fuel line barbs or the equivalent as gas lines will come off of fittings and lines if not secured!
Old 11-02-2012, 11:41 AM
MTK

Truckracer,

I agree....The regular Poly-U one gets from various sources tends to be thick walled and too stiff for my liking too.

The only Poly-Urethane gas line I use is thin walled. It is a Tygon product also (Tygon is a trade name; that's similar to Teflon which is used by DuPont forseveral different types of high temp plastics); the maker calls it Tygothane. If one is interested, look up Tygothane C210 formula in McMaster Carr's website. It is clear polyurethane tubing that has served me well for 3 years + and running. One needs to make sure he is getting the C210 formula. Other Poly-U may be intended for water use and will fall apart in gasoline.

I use the 1/8 ID x 3/16" OD. It is the stuff I sell with my fitting kits for water bottles. I sell the stuff for $0.75 a foot plus about 1$ for S+H,for convenienceto my tank fitting customers.....OR, one may get several of his buds outfitted from a Mc Master Carr purchase. I think their min buy is 25 feet plus shipping.

BTW- Viton immersed in gasoline loosens up over time. I have a length of it in my main field box reservoir and when I removed the cap recently forfilling I found that pleasant surprise. YMMV