Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

German Technology - new engine is born !

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

German Technology - new engine is born !

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 11:02 AM
Giant_Scale_Gasser
My Feedback: (84)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: German Technology - new engine is born !

Amazing number of assumptions in this thread. Has anyone ever posted something cool like this and has any anyone not completely tore it to shreds with keyboard expertise?

Just once I'd love to hear.... "Man, that's cool" without all the keyboard commando quarterbacking....

Old 12-17-2012, 11:28 AM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really cool! Since I have been living in Germany I have been amazed at the attention to detail Germans have. I also have a friend who works for Bosch and seeing their production line was very cool.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:01 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

there are definietly some haters on here and i really dont understand it myself. When you watch him start with a blank piece of paper and see it finally come to life, and all they can do is pik it apart.......wow
Old 12-17-2012, 12:09 PM
colmo-RCU

I'd like to see all you genious critics build the prop cage, at least. To the builder, amazing job you kick arse
Old 12-17-2012, 12:10 PM
Joe Westrich
My Feedback: (95)

Amazing number of assumptions in this thread. Has anyone ever posted something cool like this and has any anyone not completely tore it to shreds with keyboard expertise?

Just once I'd love to hear.... "Man, that's cool" without all the keyboard commando quarterbacking....

Very true!
Old 12-17-2012, 12:11 PM
CGAV8R
My Feedback: (2)

Most of you guys have no clue of what your saying! This engine was designed and built by Detlef for Detlef. It is a work of art that most people wish they had the skills to complete.
Aaron D.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:00 PM
mcfast

This is a much better engine congregation for RC planes, that need a inline setup, this a 3 cyl 4 stroke, in a P-51, just lesson to it here !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PnJk...n5gaLg&index=9
Old 12-17-2012, 01:12 PM
computermonkey
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sure would like to have the equipment, time and SKILL to build something like that.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:09 PM
reincarnate

ORIGINAL: mcfast

This is a much better engine congregation for RC planes, that need a inline setup, this a 3 cyl 4 stroke, in a P-51, just lesson to it here !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PnJk...n5gaLg&index=9
Even though that has nothing to do with this thread, that is a pretty cool sound!
Old 12-17-2012, 03:46 PM
BobH

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The engine was built to replace RC Engines that already exist. So its not breaking new ground as to where to put it.

Run out?? Ya'll must have AMAZING eysight! I sure can't tell no matter how hard I try.

How many of you are either mechanical engineers or professional engine mechanics?.. just wondering.. Sometimes its good to know the backround of posters.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:54 PM
Giant_Scale_Gasser

ORIGINAL: BobH

How many of you are either mechanical engineers or professional engine mechanics?.. just wondering.. Sometimes its good to know the backround of posters.

Self proclaimed or actually certified...? LOL!

Old 12-17-2012, 04:11 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I one doesn't have enough expertise to already be accepted as worthy, - - - To proclaim to be worthy by itself is not going to get the job done.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:03 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you ever spent an hour on a lathe, or a milling machine... have you ever made anything from scratch? I have... There are a lot of these garage engine builders out there... maybe this is the first you have seen. There is a design for a 7 cyl radial, a 9 cyl radial, and an 18 cyl radial. The guys that build these are looking for the work of art they produce and would NEVER put the engine on the nose of a plane... it is their hobby. And they are masters... I have studied the plans and specs... I am not there yet, but my shop will soon be capable of doing it. Now you have to ask; why do it? Anything I do is for flight... building motors is not my hobby... I can appreciate it, but he is one of many doing these things.

If you want to show off, take it to the machinist forums, not the flying forums where the work is not as well appreciated.

ORIGINAL: Giant_Scale_Gasser

Just once I'd love to hear.... ''Man, that's cool'' without all the keyboard commando quarterbacking....

Old 12-17-2012, 05:26 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I see run-out on the prop shaft?
What you see is a optical illusion from the video camera. Imade a video and see the same...quick cheked the engine crank for run-out....none found. Later another fellow explained why. Capt,n
Old 12-17-2012, 05:46 PM
earlwb

That is a really neat, cool running engine. They left no detail out. Heck even the engine test stand was over the top as to quality and detail and all the accessories on it as well. Although it isn't mentioned, I would not be surprised if they even had four valves per cylinder too.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:50 PM
BobH

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Yep there are lots of machinists out there..Youtube has plenty of vids of their creations running etc. Wonderful work indeed..Many of these guys have lots of talent.

I was just wondering about peoples backrounds cause it becomes part of the discussion. Either you know or dont know stuff..

That engine was made by one guy for his specific reasons. You can view his entire design, creation thread over on RCScaleBuilder.com if you so choose.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:50 PM
telejojo

The Germans are very good at details and close tolerences it's just hard to manufacture in large numbers and hold those tolerences.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:03 PM
ARUP

Full build on RCScalebuilder where the artistry and craftsmanship IS APPRECIATED! One off... Fiat motor... sheesh!!!
Old 12-17-2012, 07:10 PM
Giant_Scale_Gasser

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

Have you ever spent an hour on a lathe, or a milling machine... have you ever made anything from scratch? I have... There are a lot of these garage engine builders out there... maybe this is the first you have seen. There is a design for a 7 cyl radial, a 9 cyl radial, and an 18 cyl radial. The guys that build these are looking for the work of art they produce and would NEVER put the engine on the nose of a plane... it is their hobby. And they are masters... I have studied the plans and specs... I am not there yet, but my shop will soon be capable of doing it. Now you have to ask; why do it? Anything I do is for flight... building motors is not my hobby... I can appreciate it, but he is one of many doing these things.

If you want to show off, take it to the machinist forums, not the flying forums where the work is not as well appreciated.

Just once I'd love to hear.... ''Man, that's cool'' without all the keyboard commando quarterbacking....

Why did you quote me? Are you asking me if I have ever built anything form scratch? Yes. Have I ever worked on an old manual Bridgeport to make parts for race cars? Yes. I have I ever worked on an old manual turret lathe? Yes.

My mechanical background began at 9 years old when I overhauled my first carb, a Rochester Dual Jet. It ran and didn't leak.
At 12 I made a 3.5 Briggs run like a 10.5 briggs without blowing up.
At 14 I undercut, deburred & polished the shift forks, sliders and upshift side of the gears in the trans of my 250cc dirt bike, dropped the cylinder by milling 2mm off the base then adjusted the ports back up to increase the dwell. Reshaped the squish band in the hand and shortened the header 20mm. Instead of polishing the intake, transfers & boost ports, I intentionally left them rough like fish scales to increase atomization. Bike ran like a 350 -400.

Can I appreciate these engines that guys like Gary Conley have been producing for 2 decades, YES! They are awesome. I am just tired of guys posting photos of cool planes, awesome engines, neat designs and every Tom, Dick & Harry ripping them to shreds for no reason.

I appreciate fine art, whether or not it flies.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:08 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Because you seemed to be taking aim at my comments. I probably would not have said a thing, but it was presented like this was some "break through".... and the lead in of the film was over the top. It was like the guy was ready to market the product instead of finishing a one off or prototype. I think the engine test stand was almost as nice as the engine. Everyone of us has a voice and it is too bad if you cannot get us to say what you want us to say.

Why did you quote me? Are you asking me if I have ever built anything form scratch? Yes. Have I ever worked on an old manual Bridgeport to make parts for race cars? Yes. I have I ever worked on an old manual turret lathe? Yes.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:33 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I found that engine to be a very beautiful example of pure talent. I noticed the wobble of the crankshaft, perhaps they used a replaceable stud in the crankshaft in the event of a crash? Perhaps that got bent from tightening the prop down?

It almost looked like the crankcase was cast, but I couldn't tell without having an HD playback. Either way, its a very beautiful engine. Sounds great. I'd take the prop off and put a flywheel on it and run it on a Go-Kart.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:41 AM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

So you watched it for 8 minutes and were bored? What were you expecting, for the thing to take off???

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

8 minutes of boring crao for and engine that belongs in a Fiat, not a model.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:07 AM
computermonkey
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My mechanical background began at 9 years old when I overhauled my first carb, a Rochester Dual Jet. It ran and didn't leak.
At 14 I undercut, deburred & polished the shift forks, sliders and upshift side of the gears in the trans of my 250cc dirt bike, dropped the cylinder by milling 2mm off the base then adjusted the ports back up to increase the dwell. Reshaped the squish band in the hand and shortened the header 20mm. Instead of polishing the intake, transfers & boost ports, I intentionally left them rough like fish scales to increase atomization. Bike ran like a 350 -400.

Can I appreciate these engines that guys like Gary Conley have been producing for 2 decades, YES! They are awesome. I am just tired of guys posting photos of cool planes, awesome engines, neat designs and every Tom, Dick & Harry ripping them to shreds for no reason.

I'll have to agree. I don't think some people understand what talent and skill it takes to design and build something on this scale. And lets not forget time. It took me 14 weeks and 300 and some hours to stuff a Cummins 6bt into a 98 Suburban..

I hate to say the crankshaft is not bent, it is a optical allusion along with the engine being on shock mounts.

Please just enjoy the post with no negativity. I wish I had half the talent of some of these people (or the money to purchase there items to enjoy them myself).

Have a Merry Christmas.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31819.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	1831481  
Old 12-18-2012, 07:47 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: computermonkey

I'll have to agree. I don't think some people understand what talent and skill it takes to design and build something on this scale. And lets not forget time. It took me 14 weeks and 300 and some hours to stuff a Cummins 6bt into a 98 Suburban..

I hate to say the crankshaft is not bent, it is a optical allusion along with the engine being on shock mounts.

Please just enjoy the post with no negativity. I wish I had half the talent of some of these people (or the money to purchase there items to enjoy them myself).

Have a Merry Christmas.

Boy oh boy!! It reminds me of Old Greek Proverb:
" Better to keep mouth shut and be considered a phool, than to open mouth and remove all doubt"
I agree with CM and a couple others who actually see the beauty in this accomplishment. It makes zero difference whether the guy is trying to sell something or not or its a "One Of..." or not. It is still a fine piece of equipment and I appreciate it
Old 12-18-2012, 08:41 AM
gr8flyer55

I for one, can really appreciate the amount of time it must have taken to accomplish the engine build.
Back in the 90's, I built an Echo based 32cc twin. It is nothing fancy. The fact that I built it, tested it, and it still runs to this very day still amazes me. Not knowing how to do any of it, just basic engine knowledge and lathe and small hand made milling machine, it was a real challenge for me. Now, at age 63, I would never attempt it again, but have the highest admiration for anyone who does. I think by now, I have forgotten most of what I thought I knew back then.
Kudos to the craftsmen of the modern world!

John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.