Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

BOWMAN RING

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 04:51 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 358 Likes on 288 Posts
Default RE: BOWMAN RING

Yes, if its a stock plug smash it with a hammer and use a new CM6 gapped with an exacto blade
Old 06-05-2013, 08:12 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BCCHI, is right on. A Bowman ring will not cure a miss in any engine. The first things to check are #1 The Sparkplug brand, gap & condition.#2 The Sparkplug boot...make sure it is on plug all the way...and good condition...including the boot inside for cracks.#3 Make sure all low voltage connections are good on the ignition system.#4 Make sure the ignition battery is fully charged and capable of several min of good output.#5 Make sure the carburetor mixtures is set right...engine needs to be warm first.#6 Make sure all fuel lines are tight & not letting air to be sucked in.#7 If carb does not seem to adjust good...try a different one of about the same size.#8 Make sure there is no way air can leak into any joint between carb & engine.#9 Make sure carb pulse track is not blocked at all by CARB GASKET.#10 You may need to check reed valves to see if they are in good condition & seat good. ......... OK... that should give anyone a few items to check....Best Regards & good luck ! Capt,n
Old 06-05-2013, 08:23 AM
captinjohn

Bill we was thinking about going out west...but this changes things.... http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/michi...es-june-5-2013
Old 06-05-2013, 10:06 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Go west Capt'n, gas is cheaper out this way. You could actually save money by traveling? Well maybe not but you get the idea.

I saw $3.48 here yesterday and it is trending down again from almost $4.00 the week before Memorial Day.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:04 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

I saw $3.48 here yesterday and it is trending down again from almost $4.00 the week before Memorial Day.
Finally found one thing that is cheaper in Jersey than the rest of the country....gasoline.

At last fill, $3.27 a gallon, full service to boot.....

On Bowman rings, I put one in the DLE35RA and am happy with the good compression and overall handling of the 35. Never did try the stock ring tho and probably won't....No point

As far as the stock plug and misses, well, I've run the stock plug in a DLE55 for about 100 flights and it has never missed a beat. I just returned the engine to full service after a 2 year lay-off on the bench, bone dry. Same stock plug and same settings from 2 years ago. Again, it never missed a beat. It primed in about 20 flips and started easily enough. The only thing I changedwas going to Bill Carpenter's ignition rather than the stock RCexl. But note the RCexcl worked great before so it was only a matter of preference to use Bill's ignition....

What am I doing that's so different than some of the guys out there? Gas engines are about as simple to run as anything in model plane world.

*Edit* I just remembered that I use Avgas....maybe that's the difference
Old 06-05-2013, 06:21 PM
captinjohn

Go west Capt'n, gas is cheaper out this way. You could actually save money by traveling? Well maybe not but you get the idea.

Sure want to & my wife OKed it. I want too Camp at Brooks lake again and visit a couple of friends that are in this RC Hobby. Maybe a fly-in and some fishing too!!!!!
Old 06-05-2013, 09:23 PM
bcchi

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Sure want to & my wife OKed it. I want too Camp at Brooks lake again and visit a couple of friends that are in this RC Hobby. Maybe a fly-in and some fishing too!!!!!
Our fly in is 11-14 of July.
See Wyoming Modelers Park webb site.
BCCHI
Old 06-06-2013, 07:33 AM
captinjohn

I used Google maps. Is this the park? Nice looking ...green grass! Last photo...my blue forest in my yard!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65019.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1889312   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87316.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	1889313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20929.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1889314   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59598.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	1889315  
Old 09-11-2013, 10:57 AM
rmoose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Perfect Ring

Bowman rings are the best! they really help overall performance in all respects! Iv got a few engine with his rings in them that idle down to 1000 rpms . will idle there all day , if that answers anyones questions and have picked up 300 to 500 rpm's on the high side .Engines start real easy because fuel delivery is increased there worth every penny they cost which isn't much verses the cost of a airplane! you do the math,
Keep up the good work frank and thanks for the great prouduct !!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of bow.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	1919216  
Old 09-16-2014, 06:50 PM
Tisoy909
My Feedback: (21)

After reading everything in here, people praising the bowman rings etc. I sent two brand new EME55's to Frank for installation not having done a ring change yet myself at the time. When I got these out the box, just turning the crank felt much stiffer. But after a quarter gallon of break-in and tune time they were amazing.
They have the highest compression I've ever felt in a 50CC motor hands down. I would best describe them akin to churning something filled with cold molasses, just pure compression. On the tuning stand, with a Xoar 22x10 I was able to tune the carb for a solid reliable idle holding it for minutes at 1100 rpm wherein I can just instantly blip to full throttle with no hesitation in the motor, pure reliability, it is that good. Coming from a motor that is a knockoff of what is already a knockoff it is something to be seen for yourself.
I later learned how to install the rings myself and did the same to a brand new DLE 35RA, an MLD35, and an old DA-50R I can easily say they run better than when they were new. What a lot of people don't realize is good compression in two stroke motors does so much because it permits a more thorough fuel burn which lets the tune of the carb have a consistent result. When you fiddle and tune your carburetor, you can more easily hear the change of the exhaust note and the consistency of the rpm when you approach the ideal carb settings. When I started tuning the motors with these rings I realized how much more idle quality and smoothness at any throttle setting can be achieved. Its hard to describe but you will realize that you wont care as much about how much top end is improved as much as seeing how much of a better tune at a low rpm and the transition RPM's to high end that has improved. It is the smoother consistent running of the engine and its exhaust note i.e. the reliability that will impress you the most. That unique way a gasser motor acts just before you think "oh its gonna die" is completely gone after you have tuned it, its difficult to explain this better.
The DLE's have a huge ring opening gap to lose its compression and I'm sure its because achieving high tolerances on things like ring gap is not cost effective for mass production, something that's n surprise from a product of China. But what did surprise me however is that my DA-50 although old had a humongous ring gap big enough to make you scratch your head in wonder once you learn how they install and fit. These bowman rings have a ring gap I doubt a human hair can fit through. When you test fit them in the bore of the motor you are setting them up in you will see for yourself. You will want them in all of your motors, because he makes them for almost every motor out there, and if you have a motor for which does not yet offer, he will give you a special discounted price as he will set up a new ring size just for that application. Guys who are experts with motors in fields such as ring sizing I have always known to be motor purists and this guy Bowman is definitely a motor purist in the true sense.

Last edited by Tisoy909; 09-16-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:07 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

good post