Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Problem with new DLE55RA

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 06:15 AM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problem with new DLE55RA

I have a new DLE55RA that I have been running upright on a test stand. It has been running beautifully right out of the box, very smooth, very nice all up and down the power band. I installed the motor on my new P-47, inverted. The motor is running like crap. It will start and idle just fine, run up to about mid rpm and then that is it. If I try to open the throttle it bogs or dies. I have tried leaning the high end and richening the high end, nothing seems to work. I'm not new to gas engines.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on, can provide any guidance?

thanks, Steve
Old 06-08-2013, 06:49 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts
Default RE: Problem with new DLE55RA

Try opening the low speed needle just a tad. If you still have issues you may want to mount on a test stand inverted and try running it that way. Word of caution though, gassers do not get enough cooling while on a stand so keep the runs short. In fact even in the airplane I do not like to ground run my engine, I start and stop the engine at the end of our taxi way so at most they are only run 1 or 2 mins on the ground.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:19 AM
splais

I've tried leaning and richening both needles, doesn't help.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:30 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Steve , Did you remove the carb or any thing else when you removed the engine from the stand to install it in the plane . I find the best place to look for a problem is to look in the areas you last had apart . ie: carb gaskets misaligned during reassembly , air leaks from torn gaskets or loose mounting bolts , possible low voltage in the ignition battery .Did you install a new CM6 sparkplug or are you using the original plug that came with the engine? Is the sparkplug cap fully seated on the plug ?
Old 06-08-2013, 02:04 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fit a carb reference tube to the carb regulator section and connect it to a static device; static tube or static port. Then tune the carb.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:54 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Did you install a new CM6 sparkplug or are you using the original plug that came with the engine?
?
Old 06-08-2013, 04:21 PM
splais

Pe, what you suggest is beyond my capabilities.

I'm at the end of the road, probably have to send the engine back Monday. Nothing I have tried has helped a bit. On top of that I think something is wrong in the engines bottom end, it is really noisy.

-I have checked the fuel system and flow, all ok
-Checked all connections and voltages, all ok.
-Bypassed the optical kill switch, no help.
-Checked diaphram, ok.
-Checked filter screen, ok.
- tried many different low and high needle settings, no help.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:49 PM
CK1

Gary ,

The DLE plug that comes with most DLE engines is a cheap knockoff of the quality CM6 sparkplug . They are a known issue with reliability and will cause erratic engine behavior . Some DLE sellers replace the plug before they send you the engine, some don't..

Steve , If the engine has a suspicious or unusual noise I would recommend that you send it back for warranty repairs
Old 06-09-2013, 10:54 AM
splais

Well, I got the engine fixed. After all I went through it was nothing more complicated then a too lean low end needle. Had to go from 1.5 turns to 2.5 turns and that did. []
Old 06-09-2013, 12:29 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

We've all been there. You got it fixed and probably helped a lot of others to learn. Which P-47 do you have it in?
Old 06-10-2013, 05:52 AM
plaurence
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

Fit a carb reference tube to the carb regulator section and connect it to a static device; static tube or static port. Then tune the carb.
how would one do that.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:06 AM
splais

the new H9 P-47
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62771.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	1890467  
Old 06-10-2013, 06:34 AM
CK1

Here is a link to installing a static vent line to a carb. This is for normalizing the air pressure at the carb diaghram. This modification will provide a more stable engine performance as the carb will be less effected by pressure changes around the carb vent . This modification will help reduce the problem of the engine going rich once airborne as the pressure within the cowl increases during flight.
Note : This link is not my tutorial and there are many different ways to accomplish the same thing. This link is avail on the internet as an open source of information from originator.

http://www.thunderboltrc.com/tutoria...ial_seven.html
Old 06-10-2013, 06:57 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I am now doing this on all of my planes that have cowled engines. No more mixture changes in flight....at all. I highly recommend this step!
Old 06-10-2013, 02:14 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: CK1

Here is a link to installing a static vent line to a carb. This is for normalizing the air pressure at the carb diaghram. This modification will provide a more stable engine performance as the carb will be less effected by pressure changes around the carb vent . This modification will help reduce the problem of the engine going rich once airborne as the pressure within the cowl increases during flight.
Note : This link is not my tutorial and there are many different ways to accomplish the same thing. This link is avail on the internet as an open source of information from originator.

http://www.thunderboltrc.com/tutoria...ial_seven.html
That is a good way to mod the carb. Just forget about the film canister part which only approaches the static tubes, and connect it to real static tubes.
The air pressure inside the fuselage is by no means equal to the outside air. The carb reference pressure is VERY SENSITIVE!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16544.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1890645   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14083.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	1890646