Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Gas prices

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 07:27 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Gas prices

Only one solution; REMOVETHEGOVERNMENT. Until the people rise up and demand that the government cease and desist their intrusion into every aspect of our lives things will never change. The founding fathers warned us that if the people kept asking for their government to do more and regulate more then they would. We got what we asked for; and it may well be too late to turn back. The avg American has no idea what the constitution says or what the role of government was intended to be, Idare say that 50% of what the government does and regulates is unconstitutional. IMO only a total removal of all incumbent politicians at all levels of government an strict term limits will bring us back to sanity.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:47 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: chadxp1

Everyone, stop buying the gas so I can get it real cheap.
ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

As long as we keep buying it they wont lower the price, it's pretty simple
and we walk to work?.????

Old 06-13-2013, 08:10 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Some hit it on the head. America's culture is deaply ingrained it the automobile. Many use it as a form of status, as well as a source of selfesteem (like this hobby). Try buying a smart car. Watch how many people cut you off, blow past your, stare, make fun of you etc..

Look in europe at the cars from the 1970s, they have cars smaller than honda civics, compare that to cars from the 70s in the US. When I was there, they even had some 3 wheeled cars. Our fat culture combined with the social insecurity of the masses is what is driving up the prices. Drive a reasonable vehicle!

I am very glad to see some RC modelers using small cars to transport big planes. Creativity can go along way if you can get over "mr small ***** loud truck" trying to cause you grief. I am using a small vehicle to pull around a harbor freight trailer I am making myself. I'll get made fun of but at least I am not part of the problem.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:44 AM
jcvt
My Feedback: (2)

The average size car in Europe is 1736cc and 77 Hp.
It seems that the more educated you are the smaller the car.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:12 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: jcvt

Now take the small car and add to it all the safety and enviromental protection items demanded by our government but keep that car small. What you get are $20,000 peice of crap like Fiat 500s and Smart cars. The small cars are certainly available here. They just cost a fortune.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:31 AM
jcvt

Actually you don't need to go that far and use a fiat 500 or Smart .
Most of BEST cars in Europe are less than 3.0 Liters. Check for Peugeot, Opel, Audi,Sab even Mercedes have good families´s cars with less tha 2,5 Liters. They just use better tecnology.

What you don´t need is a 4.0 liters and 270 Hp. to go shopping.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:00 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, but I LOVE my 500 horsepower 454 V/8 and my 350 horsepower 350. Raw, exciting, power. Love it. That's what makes me so mad about the gas price situation, and the poor quality of the gas. Cars with these engines used to be feasible in the states, and too much fun!!

Though to many it is a "joke" now, America is supposed to be "Free". Why should we be forced to drive crappy little, underpowered cars? Now someone is going to say, pollution, conservation, safety, responsiblity, etc. Bah humbug!

I want to go back to my teens and 20's when I drove high powered hot rods every day of the week, and raced on Sundays!! (And could afford to do so!)

AV8TOR
Old 06-13-2013, 10:44 AM
Antares100
My Feedback: (12)

The last time we were close to opening up more driling sites (a long time ago) , prices dropped from OPEC. Seems they didn't want the competition or the market to be flooded. Meanwhile the Chinese and others are drilling just off our territorial limits on the same reserves we claim inside our limits. Do you think a few miles will make a difference if there is a spill? And that's the reason given for not drilling.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:08 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Keep it going guys. I have some mineral rights here in OK producing natural gas and I need the price to go up. Convert your vehicles to CNG now!! :-)

BTW we drove to Vegas in May. Gas here was $3.99 a gallon and we paid $3.45 in Kingman AZ.

David
Old 06-13-2013, 11:47 AM
jcvt

I want you to know Mr. , that My Alfa Romeo Twin Spark is so upset with you for calling it underpower!!
Old 06-13-2013, 12:10 PM
av8tor1977

Well it all makes sense. Oil is a limited resource. There is no logic in high volume sales for the oil companies and countries. Better to sell less oil at a much higher price. Better and longer lasting profits. It makes perfect business sense really. What we need to do, once again, is figure a way not to need it. Ethanol, natural gas, hydrogen, biofuels.... there are ways to do it but as I said, the oil companies literally will not permit it. The common person just can't and/or doesn't quite realize the incredible amount of money involved, and the incredible power wielded by the oil concerns.

The oil companies make billions and billions of dollars. Most people have no real concept of how much a billion dolllars is.... A BILLION seconds is 32 years. So if you had a billion dollars in one dollar bills, and you started counting them at the rate of one a second non stop day and night, it would take you 32 years to count your billion dollars!

Put another interesting way, you could buy 1 million 1/3 scale model airplanes if they cost 1000 dollars each and you had a billion dollars to spend.

AV8TOR
Old 06-13-2013, 12:56 PM
dmoody19
My Feedback: (24)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: earlwb

Much of the gas price fluctuations is due to the speculators driving the price up and down. The gas prices are based on the cost per barrel of crude oil being sold and if the speculators overbid the prices it causes the price to go up. It isn't the consumer demand causing the price swings.

So you need to figure out a way to get rid of the speculators causing the market swings.

THe problem with that is this. FOr the last few years oil companies have been making record all time profits. More than they ever have in the past and yet we hear how terribly high the cost of oil. If it were as bad as they want us to believe then how is it they are clearing so much money on the barrels? It sickens me that a congress refuses to stop the literally billions of dollars a year they are giving to these people as grants. Giving the oil companies some 25 billion a year when they are already making trillions in profit a year is just incredible. The only way we are going to get a handle on these things is to fire those in Congress and the Senate and hire others that refuse to line their pockets with oil money. Sorry guys that menas getting rid of John Bonher and the other republicans that keep blocking legislation that would close those types of loopholes. We have the authority and power to demand it and make it happen... Problem is.... we expect others to do the job while we sit back and complain about it but take no action.

Just my 2 cents worth.....

Old 06-13-2013, 12:57 PM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I have the solution to this problem:

If we want to cut down on speculation causing price swings, TAX THE GAS MORE. That way, a swing of say 20 cents/gallon for a $2 gallon is much greater than $8/gallon. So, I say raise the tax on gas so that it would be a fixed total price of $8/gallon, but at the same time reduce other taxes (sales, income, real estate, death, etc..) so that it would be a zero sum tax change.

You guys who love to drive big gas guzzlers will still have the "freedom" to drive what you like, and those with small fuel efficient vehicles will also be happy. The government will get the same tax revenue because other taxes were lowered, and the big oil companies might complain some, but they will figure out a way to make money some other way.

See, problem solved!!!
Old 06-13-2013, 01:17 PM
dmoody19

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

It's not the price of crude. Look at the cost difference between gasoline and diesel and that will tell you it's not an oil thing. Diesel has typically been ~15-20% more expensive than gasoline. Recently I've seen gas higher than diesel. It has to do with refineries, and the games American oil is playing with us.

It sucks. The first thing I think about is the impact on flying. I love driving to AMA contests. I don't want that to change.
Actually you'r backwards....
Diesel has never been more than gas until the last several years. Diesel costs about half as much as gas to refine and was always lower. Now the companies see that trucks are needed in all walks of life so they reversed the flow and now make even more on diesel. SHame on greed.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:24 PM
dmoody19

ORIGINAL: OliverJacob

That is exactly how they keep it going - the government pointing on the oil companies and vice versa. It's both. And there
is way too much money involved to keep the oil business clean and fair.
Gas prices will never come down significantly as long as the same people run the market.

As long as we depend on it, we'll have to pay whatever they dictate.
I lived for a long time in Germany, gas prices would always go up towards any holiday,
oil companies came up with some laughable excuse and politician promised
to fight against it...and it never ends, still the same game.

If you look behind the scenes, you will find huge corporations buying mid- sized companies of all flavors all over the world.
Once they own all the competitors, they can raise the prices and squeeze as much as they can out of their workers and customers.
Monopoly is happening.
True true.... Also besides holidays although sometimes it goes down to get more to travel.. Any election where the person against oil is winning you will see prices go up up up to make it look like a president caused it..... then they try and get their guy elected just like this past election. If the oil pro president is winning the prices drop low low low and they give credit to that person for "working it out". Just like the elections where bush won and then when over the prices shot up higher than ever before... then when Bush wasn't in it anymore and a new Republican was wanted by the oil company it went down to 1.80 a gallon until after the election.. then back up up up...... and we blamed the new president.... wow!

Old 06-13-2013, 01:33 PM
dmoody19

{
I am very glad to see some RC modelers using small cars to transport big planes. Creativity can go along way if you can get over "mr small **** loud truck" trying to cause you grief. I am using a small vehicle to pull around a harbor freight trailer I am making myself. I'll get made fun of but at least I am not part of the problem. }

Then again people complain about the rest of the economy and yet are driving a Honda or Toyota etc. Trillions of American dollars going to overseas companies taking that money out of American hands. We did mess up it's true. Small cars from the early and mid 80's (large cars too) were very poorly made so we looked to Japan. Now people go there automatically and miss out on an American product that now is better per dollar or at least equal to any foreign car out there. My new Dodge truck gets 30 mpg and its a 5.7 Hemi. How did I get it there? I didn't stomp on the gas when accelerating etc. In town of course its lower but still very good. The quality compared to Toyota's new big boys are far better. Just look at the fire wall for instance. Toyota firewalls were so thin the bolts actually tore through the wall and they wrinkled just with normal use....

If we want it all to get better we have to overhaul everything and yes that included the government.  Folks claim we are just paranoid etc but look at it closer...
Folks say the founding fathers didn't have it like we do today... those guys are right   ... THEY HAD IT WORSE.......

anyway... just venting a bit......
Old 06-13-2013, 01:34 PM
dmoody19

ORIGINAL: jcvt

LOL I am pretty educated and mine is 400 HP with 407 foot pounds of torque.... Explain that one lol....

Old 06-13-2013, 01:39 PM
dmoody19

{Put another interesting way, you could buy 1 million 1/3 scale model airplanes if they cost 1000 dollars each and you had a billion dollars to spend.

AV8TOR }

LOL Now that's a great IDEA!!!!!
Old 06-13-2013, 02:16 PM
jcvt

Well, nobody's perfect!, What can I tell you!!

I am sure you are a very nice guy whith a bad habit....
Old 06-13-2013, 06:14 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bet those filthy rich oil companies can afford many pro lobby people to sway the very people we elect too work against us. People everywhere should raise heck and try too ban any lobbying at all...........
Old 06-13-2013, 06:14 PM
av8tor1977

My father always said he figured my generation would have a revolution due to horribly declining freedoms, quality of life, abuses, oppression, etc. And he was a very conservative guy!! I hope I live to see a revolution, but I really don't think it is going to happen because the govt. is just too big and powerful now. When anyone starts making enough nasty noises, the govt. either kills them or brands them "radicals" or "militia", and everyone is then glad to see them squashed. I don't understand it.... During the contrived gas crisis in the 70's, people were outraged and ready to revolt. Now, everyone pretty much just accepts it and goes on with life. Or is that just another example of how the powers that be can manipulate us and popular opinion? Personally, I was really proud of the French when they publicly rebelled against the change in their work week hours. But sadly, that is just an isolated case of the public standing up for themselves, and would never be permitted to pass in the USA.

Ok, I'm "out of here".... Said too much for my own good already.

AV8TOR
Old 06-13-2013, 07:26 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the US people that are smart & in the right places would expose the fat cats who seem to be able too control the rip-off **** that's going on...it would go a long way in fixing the problem. Call it a smart revolution!.............
Old 06-13-2013, 07:36 PM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can't be a smart revolution when the people revolting are ignorant. You're getting rid of greedy fat cats and politicians with a greedy public. What's the difference?
Old 06-14-2013, 04:20 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

ORIGINAL: chadxp1

Everyone, stop buying the gas so I can get it real cheap. [img][/img]
ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

As long as we keep buying it they wont lower the price, it's pretty simple
and we walk to work?.????

I walk to work every day. Getting caught in traffic means I tripped over the dog.

That's not the point I was making though, we can't stop buying gas (because I damn sure can't walk to the flying field!) so they wont do anything about the price.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:38 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

"My new Dodge truck gets 30 mpg and its a 5.7 Hemi. "

Sorry, I think you might be exaggerating. Maybe if your are driving 50mph down hill. My 2010 gets 18-19 with the cruise on 70. A difference of 11-12mpg is a little hard to swallow for the same truck. I do have 3.92 gears in mine but that's not worth the difference.

david

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.