Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

VERY, VERY BAD NEWS...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 11:48 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default VERY, VERY BAD NEWS...

I've been afraid something like this would happen for a long time. Now it has, and I think we are in for trouble with our hobby; sooner or later.

http://news.yahoo.com/germany-probes...095529053.html
Old 06-25-2013, 12:19 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: VERY, VERY BAD NEWS...

This probably belongs in the AMA Discussions Forum, not the Gas Engines Forum.

Nevertheless, it's a predictable development. With telemetry radios, reliable gas engines, sound/strong/reliable airframes, small wonder.....
Old 06-25-2013, 01:11 PM
av8tor1977

You're probably right, but here and in the Conversions forum is where I hang out, so I went ahead and posted it.

About a year ago they caught some guy planning to fly a model with explosives into the White House I believe it was. I figured the "crap was going to hit the fan" then, but it kind of died out. But I am afraid the future doesn't look good for our modeling. I often cross the border from the US into Mexico, and fly my planes in Mexico. It is great fun to fly them off the beaches at low tide. I've been waiting for the overzealous guys at the border to question the models because of terrorism. It will probably happen soon. I wouldn't be surprised if they put model airplanes on the "forbidden to cross the border" list of things sometime soon.

Have fun while ya still can....

AV8TOR
Old 06-25-2013, 02:06 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well we had that guy here in the USA who was going to fly RC planes packed with explosives into government buildings in Washingotn DC.

Israel has had problems with the Hezbollah trying to fly their simple drones into their country off and on for a few years now.

So it isn't really a big surprise then.

I have seen some models able to fly using GPS already so it isn't too far off now before someone can program in the GPS coordinates and have a aircraft follow them.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:35 PM
Scota4570

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A bit of a "Rube Goldberg" way to do something like this. I guess if you want to divert resources from serious threats and cause hand wringing it might be effective. Anything that we consiter a model can not carry enough consumer available "bang stuff" to do any real damage. So, why the attention?? Perhaps an excuse to pass leglislation to control us. Perish the thought.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:57 PM
av8tor1977

ORIGINAL: Scota4570

A bit of a ''Rube Goldberg'' way to do something like this. I guess if you want to divert resources from serious threats and cause hand wringing it might be effective. Anything that we consiter a model can not carry enough consumer available ''bang stuff'' to do any real damage. So, why the attention?? Perhaps an excuse to pass leglislation to control us. Perish the thought.
Ha! What's new about that? Legislation to control us? I don't know of any legislation that has ever been done that wasn't designed to control the people. And more is coming...

AV8TOR
Old 06-26-2013, 01:53 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

ORIGINAL: Scota4570

A bit of a ''Rube Goldberg'' way to do something like this. I guess if you want to divert resources from serious threats and cause hand wringing it might be effective. Anything that we consiter a model can not carry enough consumer available ''bang stuff'' to do any real damage. So, why the attention?? Perhaps an excuse to pass leglislation to control us. Perish the thought.
Ha! What's new about that? Legislation to control us? I don't know of any legislation that has ever been done that wasn't designed to control the people. And more is coming...

AV8TOR
I believe you both are unfortunately very correct. It is all about controling us.
And any excuse will be pump up and exploited for their purpose, not our benefit.

Ken

Old 06-26-2013, 03:34 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The writing has been on the wall, plain to see for anyone that looked. This issue has already been visited by the FAA, and in my mind anyway, was the reason they were talking to us (the AMA) recently. The powers that be have already dealt with this on a level required to make them comfortable. That said, there's nothing to keep them from changing things as they are now, but that's not my point. My point is, they've already visited this line of thought, and dealt with it to their satisfaction?