Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

which is best 26-35cc engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 09:45 PM
Indiomike
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the "BEST" engine, oil, radio, plane, pie (uumm pie), prop, servo, etc. It doesn't exist because it's all opinion and there will never be total agreement as to what is the best anything.

Pat Roy, known as Tired Old Man on most of the RC forums, makes his living working with gas engines. He is about as knowledgeable on 2 stroke engines as anyone alive. He stated on another forum that a reasonably maintained engine should last from 300 to 500 hours of operation. He did not specify a particular brand of engine so I would have to assume his statement applies to all brands. The key is being maintained in a reasonable manner. I'm sure that would include using a proper oil ratio to gas, proper air ventilation, needles set so the engine doesn't run too lean or rich, prop that lets the engine run in it's designed range, etc.

Now, I currently have 7 gas engine planes. I only fly one day out of a week and have only room to take one plane to the field each time. I try to rotate them so each one gets to the field about once every 7 weeks. Then on that day, the plane gets flown about 3 times at about 10 minutes per flight or in other words about a 30 minute run on the engine each session.

I think it is safe to say I'll never wear any of my engines out within my lifetime. It's far more likely I'll destroy an engine in a crash than ever wearing one out.

Therefore, for my circumstances I find the less expensive engines (DLE, VVRC, etc.) to a better value than the high end engines (DA,3W, etc).

So when you ask what is the "best" engine, you should consider many more factors than brand name alone.

Mike
Old 08-08-2013, 03:18 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very well put Mike and absolutely correct. But there are those that can not accept that rational.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:14 PM
Indiomike

Thanks acerc.

I'm a bit off topic here and apologize but I have something to say to anyone new to gas engines or anyone who wants to really learn about their 2 stroke gas engines.

In addition to the knowledge of Pat Roy (aka Tired Old Man or TOM) there is also Jody Haack, known as Jedijody on most of these forum sites. He too is as knowledgeable as they come with anything to do with 2 stroke gas engines. Both of these men are the very best in this field and are willing to share some of their expertise.

They sometimes seem harsh or grumbly but put that aside. They make their living working on these engines and nobody knows 2 stroke gas engines better. You will do well to heed whatever they say about the operation and care of a gas engine.

Pe Reivers, RIP, was another very knowledgeable source of information.

Mike
Old 06-26-2014, 01:40 PM
RoyR

Originally Posted by jmpups
I love Zenoah engines. They will last forever. My choice would be the Magnito version, simply because you don't have to mess with the ignition and a additional battery. They weigh more but with the short nose on the Sopwith you are going to need the extra weight in the nose.
I am curious what, "Mess with the ignition" means. All you do is install it in the aircraft, plug it on the spark plug and that's it. No problem at all.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:00 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jmpups
I love Zenoah engines. They will last forever. My choice would be the Magnito version, simply because you don't have to mess with the ignition and a additional battery. They weigh more but with the short nose on the Sopwith you are going to need the extra weight in the nose.
You got that right !
Old 06-27-2014, 07:54 AM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most users don't know the right prop for Zenoah engines. They like rpms since they are side port engines. Prop a G-26 to run around 9,000 in the air and it's performance will surprise the heck out of you. Prop it to turn the rpms a reed ported engine likes and it will disappoint you. Same goes for the g-38 and g-62 Zenoahs. I can't say it too loud, THEY LIKE RPMS.
I prop my G-62s to unload in the air and most guys at the war bird events think I have an 85 in my big 47, especially when I pass them!
Larry
Old 06-27-2014, 10:15 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What prop(s) do you run on your G-62?? (Size and brand.)

Thanks,
AV8TOR
Old 06-27-2014, 06:58 PM
dirtybird

I run a 22x10 on my G62.
Another engine you might look at is the NGH. I have one and a DLE 30. I like the NGH best
The NGH mounts on a beam, not flimsy standoffs and it has no troublesome reed bank.
The 35 comes with an extra piston that you can install if you want rear exhaust. No need for an expensive wraparound muffler.
And the price is fair
Old 06-28-2014, 04:10 AM
RoyR

Originally Posted by dirtybird
I run a 22x10 on my G62.
Another engine you might look at is the NGH. I have one and a DLE 30. I like the NGH best
The NGH mounts on a beam, not flimsy standoffs and it has no troublesome reed bank.
The 35 comes with an extra piston that you can install if you want rear exhaust. No need for an expensive wraparound muffler.
And the price is fair
You sound like an infomercial.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:37 AM
dirtybird

No I have no connection with the factory or importer. i just thought you might want to open your mind a wee bit instead of following each other around like sheep.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:39 AM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For war birds in the 25-30 lb range most of the war bird guys in this area, (altitude 5,000 feet) run one of the more common 22X8 props like a menz or zoar. I have found that I get better performance, especially speed, with an old standby prop from many years ago. I use a 20x8x14 Zinger, yes Zinger! It is comparable in speed to 20X10 carbon fiber props or 21X10 Bolly props, costs less and gives me the satisfaction of the look on the faces of guys who ask what I am using. The Zinger or TopFlight progressive pitch props were very popular , if not as sexy, in the 90's when gas engines became common. I think flyers went away from them when the 3D and IMAC planes became so popular but for war birds and sport flyers those fractional props work very well. As a rule of thumb the Zinger and TF props are thinner and more flexible so they depitch and unload in the air more. That means you should go up one size in pitch, in other words use a 22x10 instead of a 22x8. This only applies for war birds and sport planes. As I say, the difference between a Zenoah and a DA is like the difference between a Clydesdale and
a Thoroughbred. Use what you need for your application. For war birds the Clydesdale, for IMAC the Thoroughbred. Just remember the Clydesdale will still be pulling long after the Thoroughbred has been put out to pasture!
Larry
Old 06-28-2014, 10:29 AM
RoyR

Originally Posted by dirtybird
No I have no connection with the factory or importer. i just thought you might want to open your mind a wee bit instead of following each other around like sheep.
I didn't mean anything derogatory , I just found it humorous the way you phrased it, which reminded me of informercials. "throw away your pesky standoffs, forget about those expensive mufflers. One free piston included with each order. Call now only 19.99" No offense intended.
FYI after reading your post I searched out the NGH and read some reviews. I had never heard of that brand. It does have good reviews, and the price is good. I may consider one some day.