Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

3W 55i ignition setup

Old 02-26-2014, 05:43 AM
cuwaert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3W 55i ignition setup

Maybe the hardest secret to crack but somebody must know's how.
3W won't tell us and normally there's no need but the rumour goes that they
ran a batch with wrong positioned magnets and I suspect I got one, So now it's
essential for me to know how .
I have a 55i from ebay which I can't really tune properly. Full throttle seems ok but in
between it burbles a lot and idle is uncertain or to fast, transitions fairly slow. I can't needle
it out, unlike another 3w (a 50i) with a rxeclrx or something ignition witch runs perfect.
It's not the carburettor pressure because this has been just about everyware without changes
and I have an alike experience with a ZDZ50ng where the setup was pointed out wrongly.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:47 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBXFpxWg7vY

Pretty much everybody uses this good ole boys vid to check timing.
full advanced 28 degrees BTDC
Old 02-26-2014, 07:47 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That video will not work with 3W. They are timed form 3-5mm before top dead center.

3W have top dead center marked on the prop hub and crankcase.

Milton
Old 02-26-2014, 04:20 PM
dubs1946

Hi Yes most defiantly i had a 85Xi with the magnets in the wrong place and thus the timing was all screwed but it being my first gas engine and i did not know what i was doing it took 18 months for me to find out why it was such a bad starter.
It was resolved when the 3W ignition died and i bought a rexel as a replacement and i had to re-time the engine and bingo there was the problem it is now great, but at the time extremely frustrating.
I left the magnets in place and re drilled the senser to a new position.
Set the timing at 28 degrees before TDC you may like me have to reposition the sencer.
Dave.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:58 AM
cuwaert

Yes I was thinking to put a Rcexl ignition on it, I have to redrill sensor holes anyway because as they are now, the best I can do is sparking somewhat after TDC as far as I can tell because the 3W ignition is a pain to set. (security feature shuts it off when turning slowly)

I think?? 3W ignition is an autoadvance so it has to be set on TDC or "slightly" before when turning slowly. As you can see all guessings no knowings.
The RCexl is an auto retard ignition, it is well documented and has to be set 28 before TDC as Dave said . It's cheap and super.
I hate it when manufacturers get mysterious and particularly when they mess-up a few things and leave their customers to find out.

Last edited by cuwaert; 02-27-2014 at 04:09 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:24 AM

I wouldn't even try to figure the 3W's ignition when you suspect problems with the original.like said above just get a rcexl from rcextremepower,he might even have a bolt on sensor bracket that fits the 3W's holes.
this way you now how to set the timing and where it's set at.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:46 PM
dubs1946

Hi
Yes the 3W ignition is a pain and does not need the safety cut off but its German and typically over-engineered but it does work fine when you get used to it.
I have two 85Xi so i still have one 3W ignition thats in use, but if it dies a Rexel will go in and at 1/3 cost of the 3W unit and just as good the Germans are kidding themselves.
Before drilling new holes for the sencer check the new position running and at 27 degrees BTDC. by strapping the sencer in the new position.
Of course the obvious is that the 3W ignition you are using is stuffed but you will have to put on a rexel or borrow another 3w ignition to find out
Dave.

Last edited by dubs1946; 02-27-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:19 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The ignition is "stuffed"?

You Aussie's are great.

I bet your right that the ignition has packed it in.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:27 AM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

You don't necessarily have to redrill the holes. The RCEXL universal kit uses a hose clamp. Not elegant but infinitely adjustable. I have also used one screw and a big zip tie. A little RTV(silicone) to stick it, and a big zip tie will hold it.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:31 PM
dubs1946

Yes i had it fixed first up with a hose clip but it slipped and changed the timing lucky it was on the ground.
Its in a area full of heat and vibration and in the air that would have been a dead stick.
Its best to re-drill but good luck if you don,t.
If you find the problem let us know as we all learn from these problems.
Its always good to have a complete ignition set up as spare so you can swap and see and eliminate problems, the rexel's are so cheap and good its not worth the frustrations of not having a spare, but dump any Chinese spark plugs quick smart.
Dave.

Last edited by dubs1946; 03-01-2014 at 04:06 PM.