Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

EME 120cc engine : advice needed !

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 01:16 PM
Nhalyn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EME 120cc engine : advice needed !

Hi all !

I'm currently building a 106' Sbach 342 from Flight Models. The purpose is to fly it for fun, imac style + 3D style for shows.

The engine will be an EME 120cc, i've had a good price on this one, and availability was correct for my planning schedule !

Here on this forum I can find some informations about smaller EME engines, but not so much about the bigger one ! I've found also some good videos on youtube.

So, do you guys are flying the EME 120cc engine on 3D models, and what are your comments about it ?

My setup will be dual canister (DLE111 style) and 28x10 propeller.

Thanks for your advices and feedback !
Old 04-28-2014, 02:33 PM
Nhalyn

Nobody here ?
Old 04-28-2014, 03:05 PM
tande
My Feedback: (48)

Originally Posted by Nhalyn
Nobody here ?
Yup!, I'm here.......Well......I have two of the "EME" 120's (had three)......but both are on stock mufflers, so can't help you much on canister performance.......tell me what you want to know in particular, & I'll do my best.....
Old 04-28-2014, 03:10 PM
Nhalyn

Whohoooo !

Thank you for your response and interest !

I'm interested with the feeling you have of your 2 engines, whatever is your setup... Installing some canister will not barely change the behaviour of the engine, The main change will be the less noise...
Old 04-28-2014, 04:07 PM
tande

Well....this is my take on the subject......mine have given me no problems (except the o.e.m. mufflers....crack & fall apart), they are very "User/Friendly"....(start & run).....I don't think they are the "Strongest horse in the barn", but I don't have any numbers to prove it.....I also have the new "DLE 120" & "GP 123" & in the air they "Feel" a little stronger.......here in the U.S.A. when you add the cost of after/market mufflers to the "EME", you are now more $ than the "GP" & very much so, the "DLE"......the "GP" "Feels" the strongest of the three, but it uses the "Straight plug & left cyl. forward design.... ........"EME" & "DLE" have got this part correct! .....FWIW
Thanks
Ed
Old 04-29-2014, 02:16 PM
Nhalyn

Hello !

What do you mean by "stronger" ??? More powerful ??? Or mechanicaly stronger ?

A ZG62 is eternal, very strong and durable. It's not the more powerful, but eternal life !
A DLE55 is more powerful, lighter, turn bigger props at higher RPM, but will sometimes needs mechanics.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:24 PM
tande

Yes, "Stronger" = more power.......sorry
Old 05-19-2014, 02:04 PM
Nhalyn

Hi all !

Just received my EME-120 last week and promptly putted it on my 36% Sbach.

First run this sunday from breaking-in of the engine.

As delivered, the engine has never run. It's pure "metal white" inside with only a few oil. So no test of it before delivery. So gone to the field, put fuel in the tank, choke close, flip the prop to see fuel comming in the brand new tube, and then see fuel falling from carburator.

Choke open, ignition on, a small amount of power on the stick, and after only 3 or 4 flips of the prop it was running !

Waow ! I like that !

I've run it three time during the day and each time it was the same.

Engine was just out of the box without any tunning from me. I found it too lean and had to open a half turn of the H screw. That's all !

Will test this engine in flight in a few days...
Old 11-13-2014, 01:33 PM
Nhalyn

Hi all !

Here I come back after a few month of use of my EME 120cc.

I still very happy with this engine. Lots of power and actually doing lots of 3D on my Sbach... This engine still start very easilly with a few flips on the prop. I'm now running the Mejzlik 27x10TH carbon prop.

I've found my engine long to breaking-in, buts it's a good announcement for a long life !

I found my engine a little difficult to fine tune during the first flights. It was too rich in fact. Now it becomes better after correct setting of the "H" screw. Full power is impressive, but I found it a little slow during transition (in comparison with a brand new DLE 120cc), I still have to fine work on the "L" screw !

Maybe somebody here have some tips and tricks to share ???

See you guys !
Nhâlyn
Old 12-17-2016, 11:24 PM
cymaz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could someone tell me what prop jig is used?
Old 12-18-2016, 03:38 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Same jig as DLE 111 / 120, DA 100 / 120, etc. Most engines in this size range share a common bolt pattern.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:13 AM
cymaz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you think that the 120 would run on a 26x12?? I may have a ground clearance issue...