Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Black exhaust discharge

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 03:39 AM
wingstrut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black exhaust discharge

Fellas My exhaust on all my gas engines still have that jet black gunk coming out the exhaust, I'm using Amsoil Interceptor at 40 to 1.

I have new engines and very old ones the exhaust is the same.
The oil must be burning if it comes out black or if you have metal to metal contact in the engine which I doubt.
I used to use Pennzoil until people told me at our club that amsoil was the only way to go, well the exhaust was slightly brown when I used the Pennzoil not jet black.

Does anyone use an oil that comes out fairly clean, I'm thinking about using a chain saw oil, that stuff doesn't produce black exhaust like the amsoil.
Thank you for your help.............Ron
Old 10-09-2014, 03:56 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Klotz oil and Evolution oil. On planes with Kotz (brown/black color) at 40:1, I only have a few brown/black specs on the plane. With the Evolution oil (light blue color) at 40:1 I only have some slightly colored spots.
On engines running heavier mixes (20:1) the deposits are more especially when the engines were new.
I never used Amsoil after I heard a major player in RC engines frown on it so I don't know how it burns. Obvious reasons for a lot of deposits is running a high-end setting that is too rich.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:22 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Ron, some of this will depend on the make of engine. Some engines will have more blow by then others. This is simply the ring seating and will eventually go away. Some of the Chinese engines will take longer for the ring to seat. This is why you see the Bowman piston rings being so popular. When it comes to oil you will get lots of recommendations. All that tells me is that when it comes to oil most of what is out there works just fine except that the majority will advise against using Amsoil. I personally have used Klotz, Sthil HP Ultra, Pennzoil and Lucas. All of those worked just fine for me and left very little residue. Then again of all the engines I have owned, only one was of Chinese origin.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:49 AM
wingstrut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of these engines is a Moki 215 another is a Zenoah G26 and a G38, it's not the engines, it looks more like the lubricant, one engine is a four cycle and the other two are two strokes any blow by is usually found in very old worn out engines, it doesn't matter, blow by will not affect the color of the oil coming out the exhaust, blow by will only affect the oil in the crankcase or blow excess oil up into the cyl. neither of these engines contain an oil sump. one engine is very old the other two are well run in.
The discharged oil color is the same.
You and Brian have answered my question, that the oil is questionable, I think I will try maybe redline or go back to Pennzoil.
This oil coming out of the exhaust is not discolored but looks like an old diesel engine that had never had the oil changed, it is paint black, really nasty.
Thanks for the help.........Ron
Old 10-09-2014, 08:27 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Ron, I think you are on the right track suspecting the oil. I agree that with your particular engines that blow by is not an issue. For the sake of information for others reading this, a new 2 stroke that has the rings not fully seated yet can experience blow by. it usually cleans up when the ring seats. Obviously some engines take longer then others depending on the concentrically of the cylinders and/or hardness of the rings.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:51 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

KLOTZ is the only oil for this modeler ! Have been using it for more years than I care to remember and I am older than dirt .